Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » On Reaching One Hundred

Author Topic: On Reaching One Hundred
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 08:11 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SINCE THIS IS MY ONE-HUNDREDTH Film-tech post, I feel I'm reaching a milestone, as when watching the odometer on my 1972 Beetle advance from 99,999 miles. Rising to "Expert Film Handler" recalls other time
marks: my first fountain pen, pocket watch, merit badge, Social Security card, paycheck; licenses for driving, teaching, firearms, projection; union cards, diplomas, military discharge papers; retirement check, Medicare card, Senior Transit Discount Card; first time anyone addressed me as "Sir", etc.

FILM-TECH BRINGS AWARENESS of intelligent life west of the Hudson,
of men who, like sailors of old with a gal in every port, are airborn
covering a territory of two continents or half the Pacific, with a
theatre at every airport and projectors they installed and maintain in every city! Of gurus in Texas, Alaska, The Land of OZ, New Zealand
and Old Zeeland, Canada, the Highlands and The Lowlands, Spain, Italy,
Central and South America, U.K.--from all over the globe, they post...

BUT NOT FROM FRANCE? Where are the posts from the land of E.J. Marey,
Daguerre, the brothers Lumiere, Renoir, the great Cinema museums,
Cahier du Cinema and all the great directors and films reviewed by
our Australian francophiles? Am I missing their posts, or are they
simply not posting to Film-tech? If so, we are missing their input.

CAN IT BE that because Film-tech is in English (unlike some global websites where you click on a flag icon and the page appears in your tongue of choice) and our French brothers and sisters are afraid to
make an error in spelling or grammar? That doesn't bother posters
of other languages, some of whom learned English at the movies. (But
I've been told some French children are schooled to believe to make
an error in grammar is as serious as contracting an STD.)

OR, ARE THEY POSTING on French language cinema websites? Writing What? "Philosophical and Political Aspects of the Hortson Cine 16 Projector, or Why We Lace From the Left Side?" I would love to read a review, posted by a French film handler, of Moulin Rouge, comparing it to Can-Can, and to Renoir's film, and to the version before that.

COME ON, you French cineastes, and lurkers of every persuasion, join
the Film-tech frolic, and post as only you can!

<FIN du RANT>, Gerard (Starting my second hundred.) E&OE

|  IP: Logged

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2002 07:28 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my best Ontario grade school broken francais!...

Je pense il y a une membre ici de la Belgique, et une membre de la
Belle Province de Quebec, ce n'est pas?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-17-2002 08:24 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but we're not only missing French projectionists, but Russian, German, Japanese, China, etc, etc.

I don't know how hard (or expensive) it would be to translate Film-Tech into other languages; ie: a link to Babel Fish, but it would be pretty cool to do so.

If anyone out there is reluctant to post messages because they feel they don't know English very well, they shouldn't. I think every one here is more interested in what they have to say, rather than how they say it.

If someone is reluctant to post messages, how about just sending in pictures of your projection room? Pictures transend words; (thank you, Confucius!) it's always fun to see all the different ways people have invented to simply project an image.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2002 08:48 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a babelfish link for UK members to translate the site into English ?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-17-2002 11:19 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is a Babel Fish translation to/from American english to the King's english... a Cockney-to-Bronx translator might be handy!

Check out: http://www.bio.nrc.ca/cockney/

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-18-2002 04:43 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click here to translate your posts into Yorkshire...

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 07:24 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Leo,
You Yorksher tyke yonder! Missen am blowed. I allus bin daft,
soft and gormless when Popeye spoke, by gum! But now I see...
Thank ye!
Gerard

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: