Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » virus alert

Author Topic: virus alert
Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 04:28 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is not the place to post this, but since this is the 1st place everyone goes to first I want to warn everyone....I got an email from a projection manager last night that the subject was Important...I open it & a virus got into the address book & sent it to everyone in it...since this email was here in Japan, from a theatre projection manager, I thought they were having problems, but to my surprise it was a virus....DO NOT OPEN ANYTHING from a theatre person that say...Important. Those of you that this may have been sent from me, I am sorry, I did not know...for some reason my virus detector did not catch it...sorry to all !! Just letting everyone know in the theatre service field...not to open a email name IMPORTANT

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-15-2002 05:47 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you open an attachment in the email? What email program do you use? Do you download email before you read it?

I read all my email on the web server, and never download it unless I scan it first. Opening email for reading only when it is on its web server will not get you a virus, but opening any kind of attachment will do that. Also do not ever use a program that requires you to download your email onto your computer. Always use web server based email accounts that keep you safe.

Dave

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-15-2002 05:50 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know it was a virus for sure. Normaly a virus is an exec file that can only be downloaded via an attatchment. Can you please specify if it said that you follow certain directions to eliminate the virus. There has been an email circulating around that says to delete the following file SULFNBK.exe. Saying that it is a virus that got into the address book. Do not delete this file it is not a virus. THis file is associated with the upper memory that windows uses to keep that area clean. If you do delete it then the email served it's purpose because it is technicaly the virus.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 06:00 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The virus I open was a attachment, after opening it, it said patch.exe I get about 20 emails a day from projectionist with problems around the world..in Japan where I think this thing started, I get email with attachments due to they will write in English on the attachment & send it to me with their problems, I open as usual to see who is having as problem now !! but this this came in...my understanding there is no problem with delecting a file or program,or any trouble with the computer, it will send this virus to all in the address book.....My office will have to upgrade my protection to prevent this in the future...so if anyone gets any email subject "IMPORTANT"... DON'T OPEN IT !!!!! it statred here in Japan..

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-15-2002 06:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you have to watch those attached .exe files. Beware of any .doc.pif files or .xls files as well. Some contain harmful scripts (many of which are MS Word and Excel macro viruses). Don't even try to save .scr files to your hard disc, much less open them. Some really bad worms come in that flavor.

An additional wrinkle to the sulfnbk.exe hoax is that certain viruses, such as W32.Magistr (The Magister Virus) will arrive with certain e-mails using the "sulfnbk.exe" name.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 07:14 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I received advice to foil viruses that use your address book by entering on line one of your address list a name 000,00 or something
similar which will disrupt the virus's ability to methodically send
messages to the remaining list. (Perhaps someone more technically
savy could explain it in proper technical terms.) I did so.

I once found sixteen identical messages, one from "Sasha" which I recognized as a diminutive of "Alexander", and messaged the man's
father, who confirmed that his son's computer was attacked, and the
virus spread to all on his address list. I deleted all 16 messages without opening them, and all was well.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 07:38 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, I got a couple of those patch.exe thingies the first thing this morning. I di my usual routine with (text only) Agent, which is to examine the source. This one didn't even follow standard encoding routines, so I just deleted and went on my way.

HTML based email is schtupid, and MS is a primary promoter of it. If someone wants to mail me and can't say what they want to say in simple words and jpegs, then I have a problem. I could rant on for hours about Outrageous and Outrageous Expectorate, but no one would listen. Never open attachments unless you know what the file extension can do.

Bottom line, you can't send me a virus that will get a chance to live.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 11:09 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This from about.com;

Fbound.C Worm

Virus Description

Related Resources
• Virus Encyclopedia
• Glossary of terms

Elsewhere on the Web
• F-Secure Description
• Sophos Description
• MessageLabs ThreatList

Talk about things that go bump in the night... While the majority of the U.S. was sleeping, a new worm dubbed FBound.C, appeared in the wild and began spreading rapidly. At 3:47 a.m. on March 14, 2002, the Mimesweeper ThreatLab issued a warning to customers noting "early reports of a new mass mailer". Indeed, only 5 hours later, the new worm took over the number 7 spot on the MessageLabs Threatlist and is quite likely to gain an even higher ranking before it's initial debut is over.

According to antivirus vendor F-Secure, the Fbound.C variant is received with no message text, and an attachment named patch.exe. Thus, despite the lack of social engineering normally present in successful email worms, Fbound.C managed to gain a bit of a foothold due to users willing to open most any attachment received in email. In most cases, the subject line of the email message carrying the worm will read "Important". However, if the recipients address contains '.jp' (Japan), the subject line will be randomly composed from a list of 16 different subjects. A sample copy of the email message appears below.

If the attachment is opened, the worm retrieves the user's SMTP server and email adress, loads itself into memory, and then sends itself to addresses found in the Windows Address Book. According to F-Secure, the worm encodes its file into a single line, thus violating RFC regulations for Base64 encoding resulting in some e-mail servers not processing the worm's messages.

Fortunately, there is no malicious payload and the Fbound.C worm does not install itself to the system. Simply rebooting the infected system will remove the worm. It is also advisable to check the temporary folder used by the mail client to make sure any temporary copies created when the attachment was opened are also deleted.

Graham Cluley, Senior Technology Consultant for Sophos Anti-Virus, commenting on the apparent spread of the worm, speculated, "Maybe people are so used to having to apply patches (the Microsoft effect?) that they are less cautious about anything which claims to be an important patch? Maybe because the virus also communicates in Japanese they have been less wary of attachments and so kicked it off (this might make some sense.. As most viruses communicate in English - maybe the Japanese speaking community have had less need to learn safe computing lessons the hard way)." Graham also noted that the worm was "not travelling as fast, and hasn't infected as many people, as a Nimda or a Goner or a Badtrans."

Antivirus software updated on or after March 14, 2002 can detect this worm.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 11:42 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
our email server is located in one place for the whole country. it has filters on it to block any email with .exe, .scr, .bat and .com extensions, as they all can contain infection. they are all attached and if you dont know what the file is... then dont open it. simple!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-16-2002 12:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to Yak.

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 03:01 AM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to make a correction to something that was said earlier in this thread. The program sulfnbk.exe has nothing to do with memory, but is for backing-up long file names on Win9x systems - Long FileName BacKup. That is why if you delete that file nothing usually goes wrong.

For more information on sulfnbk.exe see the Microsoft Knowledgebase article Q301316.

Steven Gorsky

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-16-2002 09:43 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The address book trick doesn't really do much for a variety of reasons. Many of these worms now have their own SMTP component anyway and don't use the 'send' facility within MS Outlook.
FMI: http://www.lbl.gov/ICSD/Security/vulnerabilities/hoax.html

The real fix here is not to use poorly designed mail software, such as MS Outlook. Also, as Jerry said, HTML mail is evil.

Again, I'll put in a good word for Spamassassin, which can be configured to change the MIME-Type header for potentially dangerous file attachments, preventing them from being easily executed. This is of limited use for most end-users (it requires shell access to a Unix mail server), but is invaluable for anyone who runs a corporate mail server (e.g. me) where many users are subject to spam and worm attacks.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-16-2002 09:59 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steven for the clarafication. I had asked someone what this file was for and that is what they had told me. We had gotten one of those emails here and the information that was passed down to me was obviously incorrect.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-16-2002 06:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SpamAssassin is running on the Film-Tech mail servers and it does an incredible job of filtering out spam. It is amazing what it looks for to determine if mail is spam. It works.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-16-2002 10:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
SpamAssassin certainly rocks. 11 hours before Don posted about it, SpamAssassin had already received it's first "important" virus infected email and dumped it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: