Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Regal Cranleigh (UK) closes. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Regal Cranleigh (UK) closes.
Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 10:17 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night at 22.47 hours Cinemation on line 21 shutdown the show forever when the tabs finished closing! on "Gosford Park"

Following is an abridged version of the media release.

After the last showing of the film “Gosford Park” last night the screen curtains closed for the very last time ending 65 years of the Regal Cinema in Cranleigh.

Cranleigh has a long history of pictures for a village, the first cinema was the Central which played silent pictures from about 1912. Talking pictures lasted for only 5 years until closure in 1935 due to noise problems with the tin roof when it rained, and the steam trains. The Regal opened in October 1936 seating 466 seats with a small stage and two sets of curtains.

Some of the projection equipment will be put into use at the Plaza in Oxted. The screen curtains (tabs), 4 RCA 9031 soundheads, Cinemation, 2 Premier slide & effects lanterns have been donated to The Projected Picture Trust at Bletchley Park.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-15-2002 11:39 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always sad to see another theatre close but I hope you enjoy the time that you now have free.
PS when will we get some pictures of the theatre and the auditorium here at filmtech

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 02:54 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, sorry to hear that you have closed. It's always sad, but life and time moves on.

I moved back to my home town last year, and every time I walk into the town centre I pass the cinema where it all began for me. It's been closed for about two years, and the frontage is now boarded up and covered in grafiti., which is very sad end to a very old and conce grand cinema. (Believed to the oldest purpose built Cinematograph in Scotland). I spent may happy hours there, both as a child, and later in life as a projecionist. Inside are two GK21's, two GK19's and a Model 'A' Westar, which seem to have been left to rot with the rest of the place, take some joy in that thought that your theatre lives on, or at least some of it's equipment does.

Also you'll have more time to relax, travel and post here.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 08:18 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, Sorry to hear of your place closing, i suppose it's a reflection of the way the industry is going. It's very sad that in the UK we have had one of the strongest years for some time, and yet 'proper' cinemas like yours are being closed.

Like Pete, on my way to work i pass the cinema where it started for me, its now a part-timer with bingo its prime money maker. It now runs films on a Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday. How long before it just runs on a Sunday? or gives up altogether?

Good luck with whatever comes your way, and keep posting, there are not so many Film-techers on this side of the big pond they call Atlantic

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-16-2002 05:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always sad when another independent closes. The multiplexes might have state-of-the-art gear and computer designed sightlines, but a massive aircraft hanger out on some ring road industrial estate is not the same as a cinema which tries to be a real part of its community.

Pete - is the cinema you're talking about the Picture House in Campbeltown? I had a stroll round Campbeltown a couple of years ago while staying with relatives near Lochranza: the cinema was closed at the time, but there was a sign in the window stating that it claimed to be the oldest purpose-built cinema not only in Scotland, but the whole of the UK. The Duke of York's in Brighton (now part of the City Screen empire) also makes that claim, too...

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 06:02 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, no it's the former Robins in East Port, Dunfermline, formerly the Caledonian Associated Cinemas Orient Express (after tripling), formerly the CAC Regal (single), and anything before that is well before my time! It was built as a cinema before WW1, I can't remember the exact date offhand. Next time I'm in the libray I'll look it up. There's a great cinema section in the local history department. The East Port cinema is the last remaining one in Dunfermline, it's a real headache for the council it being closed, as they can't grant change of use due to the buildings listed status. Various companies have wanted to turn in into all kinds of things, mainly pubs and clubs, but there's the listing issue, plus we already have ample drinking establishments, and the local police would not give support to a drinks licence, on the grounds that they already have more than enough to do of a Saturday night! So for now the building stands boarded up. At least it hasn't been broken into or set on fire. Yet. That fate befell the High Street Regal (Another former CAC), in the '70's. Littlewoods wanted the site, but couldn't get planning permission as there was an unsed, but listed cinema there. The Regal was a real old school '30's palace of a place, marble stairs, chandeliers, restaurant etc. Mysteriously one night it caught fire and was razed to the ground. Took most of Fife Fire Brigade several days to bring it under control, and could be seen for miles. The fire also destroyed several surrounding buildings. So Littlewoods got their site, and several surround one too. I'm not saying that the fire was deliberately started, but it's rather convenient.... A bit like the former CAC in Paisley that went the same way.

The Campbelltown Picture house seems to have an on/off relationship with being open! It's one of the few indies up here that I don't look after.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 06:45 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, I certainly will be sending some pictures in once I have left the empty shell in just over a weeks time. But for now is a picture of the old Central cinema which was only demolished just over two years ago, you will notice the projection portholes never to see film through them again 67 years ago. And a picture of the Regal.

BTW we managed to keep the closing a secret with only the staff knowing. Posters as normal everywhere and a full reel of Trailers. Our copy of "Gosford Park" is now showing at the Odeon in Canterbury.

Andy and Pete, thank you. Film-Tech will help me to keep in touch with an industry that has given me 50 rewarding years. Brad might even put a new picture of me on the left.

Leo, BTW The Plaza in Oxted was taken over by Mainline Pictures.

Sandie Caffelle
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 10:52 AM      Profile for Sandie Caffelle   Author's Homepage   Email Sandie Caffelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard

Another day, another death .....

I'll (sadly) close the Regal's file

Take care

Sandie
Jack Roe (CS) Ltd

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2002 07:39 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sandie,

Hang onto that Regal file for a bit, the cheque (completion) wont be cleared until 1600 hrs. If that fails, we re-open Friday week.
I WISH ! Not really, it is time to go – we’ve seen the best of it and, with renters terms & practices, it’s just getting impossible for an independent operator to carry on.

When the Rex Haslemere closed, there were complications & two weeks later the cinema re-opened (I was also offered a lease). It lasted for another year! The Rex would have still been here today had it been turned into 3-4 screens.

Sandie, I thought that you’d like to know that I have donated the category boards, lettering and boxes etc. from Jack Roe to the National Museum of Cinema Technology, the Projected Picture Trust’s new cinema and museum at Bletchley Park.

I am aware that I went a bit over the top on the Topic heading, but it was a reflection of how I felt at the time I closed the cinema, completely gutted.

Sandie Caffelle
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2002 08:19 AM      Profile for Sandie Caffelle   Author's Homepage   Email Sandie Caffelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard

I know what it is like to be in a cinema that is breathing its last few breaths. I visited the Drake (Odeon) in Plymouth the week it shut. The chief (Rob Wilson) had helped install the kit (in the 70's I think) and was there to take it all out. Horrible.

I'm glad that the PPT is going to get some of your stuff though. I must get down to Bletchley Park sometime. Maybe I might just arrange something with Stephen when I see him at Amsterdam EXPO.

Until next time ......

Sandie

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-19-2002 08:31 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of Odeons, another one seems to be at risk. My parents live in Wimbledon, South London, and the last time I was there (just after Christmas), I noticed a planning application sign on the first cinema I can ever remember going to as a child - the Odeon on Wimbledon Broadway. They want to knock it down. I thought it was a Grade II listed building but obviously not. Apparently Odeon are building a 10-plex further up the Broadway just opposite the station (on top of a massive Safeways supermarket - how quaint and atmospheric! ). I won't shed any tears for the presentation there (not so much film done wrong - film done to death, more like), but surely there has to be more to cinema than huge breeze block and corrugated aluminium boxes with hundreds of identical auditoria?

I guess the new Warner out at Marsh Barton was what finished off the Odeon in Plymouth. I hope the Arts Centre is still going - it was a small auditorium, but the presentation was great and it showed some wonderful films.

Sandie Caffelle
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2002 08:52 AM      Profile for Sandie Caffelle   Author's Homepage   Email Sandie Caffelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo

You're right about the Warners in Plymouth, I think it was the final nail in the coffin for the Drake. To be fair, the Drake had no parking and was difficult to get to on foot. It was a beautiful cinema though, with all the original fittings.

However, the Plymouth ABC was always fighting with the Drake anyhow. They were almost back to back.

We sent out some stuff to the Plymouth Arts Centre just before Christmas, so I guess they're still going - I've not had any news to the contrary.

Sandie

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2002 04:12 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am too too sorry to hear the the sad news of the closure of the Regal.
I had the pleasure a month ago to meet Bernard at this superb cinema and what a true Showman!.

Sandie- The Plymouth Arts Centre is still doing well when I visted them two months ago and the ABC is still open, The former Drake/Odeon is still boarded up.

The Drake was opened by 20th Century Fox about (1957?) and had almost a 82' Todd-AO wide curve screen with the famous Philips DP70's, the projectors were still there (in parts)untill the mid 1990's when they taken away for parts to the NFT/BFI in London,

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-19-2002 05:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which model of cinemation is that

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-20-2002 05:11 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear the Arts Centre is still in good shape. As it's single-screen and only has about 70 seats it must be quite hard for it to stay afloat, especially as the Film Council spending round this year appears to be squeezing regional arthouse exhibition pretty hard.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: