Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » telemarketers! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: telemarketers!
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 02:03 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess every one of us has been unduly annoyed by telemarketers. But occasionally, I can have l little fun with them

Yesterday one of the local major funeral homes called soliciting business and asked for my father. I explained to them that they were over 10 years too late and that I was not in the business of stacking bodies like the crematorium in Georgia! ya, they were a little embarrassed!

|  IP: Logged

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 02:34 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a call from someone selling life insurance, and they mentioned dismemberment as something they covered. This immediately reminded me of "Evil Dead II" where the guy's own hand starts attacking him so he cuts it off with a chainsaw, so I started talking like the character in that movie and said that had just happened to me! She just said "Well, I don't think it covers anything self-inflicted."

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 02:40 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell them you are busy at the moment, & you will ring them at home later.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-14-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I had a telemarketer on the line, I told them I wasn't going to do business with them unless they sent a couple of dancin' girls over to my house.

The call lasted about 30 seconds, total. Since that day I haven't had one call from any other telemarketers. I wonder if they have a "crackpot list"? I imagine that if they do, I would have made the list.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 04:42 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jese:

If a life insurance telemarketer calls me, maybe I can introduce myself as "Jack The Ripper" and ask if they cover DISEMBOWELMENT !

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-14-2002 06:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm usually not rude at all to telemarketers, knowing that it is a terrible job. I tried it out for a short stint when I was going to art school in New York. I quit after only a couple months. Given the choice, I think I'd rather scrub toilets than call up people during dinnertime.

Basically, I immediately interrupt and say, "I'm sorry, I'm not interested, I don't respond to telephone solicitation, please remove me from your calling list." They can get onto their next call quickly.

Now, if the telemarketer refuses to get the polite message and wants to push it, I can really screw them up. I don't get rude. I just let them yammer away for several minutes thinking they are going to close a sale on me. Then I back out, say "not interested" and hang up. All of those telemarketers are working against a clock and they don't make squat for commission unless they register so many sales an hour. I wind up costing THEM money.

The last time I had some really good fun with a telemarketer was not long after I was given a bogus, fake, shakedown ticket by the Lawton Police Department. A cop claimed I ran a stop sign, even though I sat there letting cars pass by. He pulled me over just so he could train his rookie partner on writing tickets. The lesson cost me $80. And the court said "its just your word against the cop's word."

Anyway, the police department fund-raiser people call me up and ask for donations. I replied, "your donation is at the Comanche County Courthouse, thanks to one of your cops shaking me down for a bogus stop sign ticket." The caller said, "we don't set the fine limits, the county does." To which I replied, "but you do have the latitude to let me off with a warning. As I said, the courthouse has your donation. And I suspect you got my name on your calling list from my traffic ticket, so do me a favor and take my name off your calling list."

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-14-2002 06:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All telemarketing calls we get at GTS get transfered to the Copy Department!!
Mark @ GTS

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-14-2002 07:21 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Telemarketer Repellant

If they say they're John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name. Then ask them where it is located, how long it has been in business, how many people work there, how they got into this line of work, if they are married, how many kids they have, etc. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.

Say "no" over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one, and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up.

If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family and Friends Plan, reply, in as sinister a voice as you can, "I don't have any friends, would you be my friend?"

If they start out with, "How are you today?" say, "I'm so glad you asked, because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems. My arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog has the gout..."

If the company cleans rugs, respond: "Can you get out blood? Can you get out goat blood? How about human blood?"

Tell the telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask him/her if he/she will give you his/her home phone number so you can call him/her back. When the telemarketer explains that telemarketers cannot give out their home numbers say, "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The telemarketer will agree and you say, "Me either!" Hang up.

Ask them to repeat everything they say several times.

Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke. "Come on, Leon, cut it out! Seriously, Leon, how's your momma?"

Tell them you are hard of hearing and that they need to speak up . . . louder . . . louder . . .

My Goodness I think I'm in the wrong forum

When the salesperson asks, "Is this the homeowner?" say, "Is this the salesperson?" and when they say, "Yes," hang up. Telemarketer Repellant
If they say they're John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name. Then ask them where it is located, how long it has been in business, how many people work there, how they got into this line of work, if they are married, how many kids they have, etc. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.

Say "no" over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one, and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up.

If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family and Friends Plan, reply, in as sinister a voice as you can, "I don't have any friends, would you be my friend?"

If they start out with, "How are you today?" say, "I'm so glad you asked, because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems. My arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog has the gout..."

If the company cleans rugs, respond: "Can you get out blood? Can you get out goat blood? How about human blood?"

Tell the telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask him/her if he/she will give you his/her home phone number so you can call him/her back. When the telemarketer explains that telemarketers cannot give out their home numbers say, "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The telemarketer will agree and you say, "Me either!" Hang up.

Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke. "Come on, Leon, cut it out! Seriously, Leon, how's your momma?"

Tell them you are hard of hearing and that they need to speak up . . . louder . . . louder . . .

When the salesperson asks, "Is this the homeowner?" say, "Is this the salesperson?" and when they say, "Yes," hang up.
Telemarketer Repellant

When the salesperson asks, "Is this the homeowner?" say, "Is this the salesperson?" and when they say, "Yes," hang up. Oh! Well...

Ut Oh..I think I'm in the wrong forum

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-14-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's how Jay Donaldson handles those pesky telemarketers: These are REAL calls to Jay from various phone spammers...
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/299/jay_donaldson.html

Enjoy!

-Aaron

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-14-2002 11:21 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, as for your post...I used to work for Sears as a bill collector. They actually train you on how to avoid most everything you just posted. Sorry!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-14-2002 11:50 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Randy. I think I made the crackpot list before you did.

If my caller ID comes up as an unknown or number not available, I pick up the phone and say,

"Thank you for calling Dial An Asshole. All of our assholes are currently assisting other assholes. If you are inquiring about our free monthly news letter, The Anal Retentive, please leave your name and phone number at the beep, and the first available asshole will return your call promptly. Have a shitty day."

It works....

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 02:17 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget telemarketers it's the knock on the door God squad that gets my goat.

Most of our local Jehovah's Witnesses have learnt to avoid our home since we invited two of them in and gave them a 90 minute lecture on "our" beliefs!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-15-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about just screaming "Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!" into the phone and hanging up? I bet Sears didn't train anybody for that. Sears or whoever also don't seem to be able to train people how to pronounce last names. Even simple last names get messed up.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 04:39 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's sad that companies like Sears actually develop methods to teach their phone people on how to get around with the people that try and make asses out of telemarketers.

I wonder if Joe's method will work?

Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 09:23 AM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I get these calls' I always reply,"Let me think about it." "Give me your home phone number and I'll call you later." They usually say something like " I really don't want to be bothered at home." I say'Guess what neither do I ." CLICK!

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: