Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Where are we Heading?

Author Topic: Where are we Heading?
Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-11-2002 09:07 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio?

What has happened to the showmen? Are they gone? Where they ever here?

Did the people who built the great Movie Palaces ever exist? Are we watching the wrong numbers? Are we looking in the right direction?

Are we as a group more interested in candy, popcorn, soda than quality of film presentation?

Can I touch the past? Was it better then? Is it better now? Can we change it? Will we let automation win? Is it up to us? Will it happen anyway? Will we accept the garbage films that are being produced? We we allow the actors to dis the people who want to give them awards? Will we as a group stand up for what is correct and proper?

I have a lot of questions and I have a lot of answers. However I would like to know how you think?

To thine own self be true..when you post your answer.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 09:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The public's tastes and expectations change. Business changes. Society evolves (all these for better or worse as you and I see it). It may be fun and historically interesting to look back at the showmanship aspect of the old movie palaces wistfully and wish things were still like that now. But that's like wishing 2002-model automobiles were more like the '52 Buick we remember fondly.

Movies have first and foremost always been a business. Theaters exist to make money. With so many entertainment choices to select from, movie theaters have naturally evolved to the mega-multiplexes we have now, in order to ensure their own survival. Yes I know many people who participate here are running smaller, independent theaters and doing it successfully, or at least doing it out of love for the craft or something like that, and you are to be saluted. But the vast majority of us see movies at the big chains, and that's the way it's likely to stay.

Exhibitors owe their customers a pleasant moviegoing experience and the best possible presentation. Are all locations meeting those basic standards? Of course not. Who or what is to blame? Uncaring or untrained staff, cheap owners, and dumb-ass customers who don't know any better and don't complain. How to change that? I don't have an answer except to say the chains must be doing a lousy job of weeding out the losers they employ, and/or they are hoodwinking the public in a particular market due to lack of competition.

Yet we also know that many locations are staffed by good, concerned people who want to do right and do care.

My blabbering is motivated out of love of movies and interest in the technology of film presentation. Note that I'm currently unemployed, and every day I seriously consider chucking my "real" career and somehow getting into film exhibition. I would love to be a circuit technician and have the power to make things better at all my theaters. Or at least to be your basic film handler working in a booth, putting on good shows. I have a good tech background, including component-level troubleshooting and using test equipment, so I could do it and I think be good at it. So why don't I do it? I don't know.

Anyway I've made a point of seeking out and communicating with the local Regal and Cinemark General Managers. I talk to them, and I give them feedback about what I think is right and wrong at their theaters, including comments about every show I see. Laugh if you want, but you know what? I think I've helped them to improve their presentation. In fact I KNOW I have. Both of these GMs seem to genuinely care about quality presentation, and they welcome constructive comments. Now you can argue that they should be fixing things on their own, and not be depending on customer input. Well, maybe, but they can't be everywhere at once and can't know everything, and of course they have good and bad people on their staffs too. But the point is they are trying hard to run good cinemas, under less than ideal business conditions.

Actors who dis the public: You wouldn't be referring to Russell Crowe would you? Mr. Crowe can do anything he pleases as long as he makes good movies. I don't give a what he does in his public-private life, as long as he isn't a child molester or sending money to Saddam Hussein.

Don't concern yourself with how things used to be, only worry about the here and now, and to the extent possible, what you can do to influence where we are going.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 10:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob they have gone to a better place with curtains(tabs for those across the pond) movable masking sharp lens and ashcraft supercinex's and careing theatre people and audiences that actually considered the overall presentation important
And now my wine break is over and back to your regularly scheduled multiplex presentation

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2002 07:31 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

You might want to check out http://www.loewsjersey.org/

The folks at the Loew's Jersey are doing some incredible things. They are really taking the time and effort to do film right. They even have an upcoming screening of FORBIDDEN PLANET in true, authentic Perspecta sound.

David, I've found theater operators don't want to hear from me. Even when I've complained about safety issues, such as rooms that are so dark that I hit my shins on the seats, I get no response other than a form letter, if that. So, I simply use my wallet. My closest theater treated me rudely, so I have never gone back, and I tell all of my friends to avoid that theatre. I will drive past inferior theatres to go where I know I will see an excellent presentation. But, the great majority of people are happy just to plop down at the local "plex" and see something on a moderately big screen that looks better than their VHS players at home. Until the owners are convinced that better quality means more dollars, only the few will continue to care.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2002 08:14 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the "showmanship" still exists in businesses where big
chain operators don't have the unfair monopoly on product. You can
still find mom 'n pop grocers, hardware, and the biggest example -
RESTAURANTS that still provide the quality and always will. Even some of the automakers are giving us a taste of the "good old days", notably Chrysler (who will strip the top off the PT Cruiser in '04, and the Prowler). Ford's brought back the T-Bird, and Chevy is launching a street-rod style truck. I just think theatres are sliding downhill because they CAN. But is it really what the chains want? Eventually, we'll all stay home. Interestingly, some of the theatres that still serve it up the way we remember are the drive-ins. I guess it's because they're family-owned, and where you find one that's painted and doted on, you find that magic, that's what draws me to them. I love the indoor theatre too, in fact we never went to the drive-in much as kids, dad used to take us to any indoor that had brass rails, curtains and balconies, but they're gone, and I'm sad about that...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: