Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Showest 2002 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Showest 2002
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2002 07:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my feet are on fire from walking around Bally's all day so I came back to the room to at least post something about this years show. I left my digital camera behind this time but hopefully Brad will get some pics to post later.

So far it has turned out to be a pretty busy as compared to last years. Attendance seems to be way up.

Not too many new products but a few worth mentioning are the new BACP Dolby Digital Penthouse which looks very, very nice. They are saying it does 1.5 to 2 digits lower error rate than the other leading brand! If you combine it and the new U.S. Labs Analog processor which contains the analog Processor, Crossovers for bi/tri amp, and booth monitor, along with a DA-20 you can have a really nice SRD playback setup and save some bucks whie you're at it.

Big Sky was showing off a new lamphouse and very small touch screen automation unit which also look promising.

Kinoton has a really nice large booth with all the wonderful German made projectors and other accessories.

Megasystems Booth has really grown this year and they have on display the usual 8/70 machine and a 15/70 prototype, but only running at a couple of clicks a second(perhaps not even that fast). Common Steve.....turn up the speeed a bit and lets see what happens!

Oh, and the Oscar that was given to the JBL engineers was also on display at the JBL booth. Congratulations guys! You're well deserving of it. At last there are really great three way screen systems thanks to your efforts.
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-06-2002 12:03 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, never mind...I answered my own question by re-reading Mark's post. Consider this message deleted.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2002 02:22 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, were off!

Yesterday we went to the Kodak digital cinema demonstration. Their 3 million-pixel chips look pretty good. It did help that their source material was from an Imax film. Their demonstration is hard to get in to due to its popularity.

I finally hooked up with Brad at the Trade Show. He was systematically going from booth to booth checking with each and every vendor of projection equipment. We haven't gotten an overall impression of what he thought of the equipment, but I hope he will post exhaustively here when he returns.

We have met all of the usual suspects. Gordon McLeod and Steve Guttag were at the SMPTE meeting this morning. I attended even though I don't understand half of what they are talking about. There was a half an hour discussion of what exactly is the color white.

I ran in to Mark Gulbrandsen, John Pytlak from Kodak, Paul G. Thompson, Dwayne Caldwell and most of the Telluride people who are here this year.

I went to the big breakfast and the MGM lunch. They were pitching Crock Hunter with that crazy Australian you see on the Nature Channel. Bruce Willis was there at the lunch.

Ky was able to find a seat that he likes. The trade show is all of the usual stuff. There doesn't seem to be anything new and exciting from the Trade Show.

Ky likes the Health and Fitness Fair; they give free massages. I had my cholesterol checked (mostly normal), lung function was mostly normal and bone density was slightly below normal.

We had dinner with the Telluride people away from the convention, which was nice. Then we had drinks with Mike Hurley and some people who post at bigscreenbiz.com.

Tomorrow is the Film-Tech Drink. Hopefully several people will tell of the drunken shenanigans. That's all for now.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-07-2002 06:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm back in town and had a great time there. The show as a whole had a much better turnout than last years disaster was. The aisles were packed again as they normally are and long lines to see at least some vendors.

The Film-Tech drink night was enjoyed by at least 50 people or better in attendance in the suite that was provided. I finally got to meet John Pytlak! What a guy...a veritable walking encyclopedia of film technology and absolutley amazing to listen to. John stated that last year Kodak produced over 13 million feet of release film print stock. When asked what they do with all those perfs that are punched out he said they were recycled.......by glueing them all together into usable film . We knew he was just teasing though. But thats alot of film and all agreed that film and digital will coexist for quite a long time to come.

Kodak was also showing off their 3 megapixel ILA based digital projector,,,,,no one could hardly get in to see it though. This had to be THE digital demo to see at the show. Last years chips were only at 1 megapixel resolution. He reported that even the guys from T.I. were there to see that demo. Looks like DLP may be all but obsolete if U ask me.

After the drinks were all gone and Gord, Brad, and Ian had eaten all the Cheese cubes, and ourderves we all went down to the steak house in Bally's but were shunned away due to the size of the crowd, Ian suggested we go over to the Bellagio Grand Buffet. It is easily the best Continetal buffet in Vegas but very easily still second to the Seafood Buffet at the Rio (sorry Brad and Bob!).
Next year will be bigger and better yet, Hopefully Bob Marr will be there with us again.
Mark @ GTS

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2002 07:35 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Small correction Mark.

John said it was 13 billion linear feet of film used last year. It's too bad that film is on its way out. He used that number to show that the "film" industry was very alive and healthy.

That's about 1,300,000 individual movies. Shove that up your multi-plex!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-07-2002 09:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, You're right! Dang cheeze squares from last night have gone to my head! Yes, It was linear feet that he quoted.
But you mean shove that up your , not multiplex!
Mark @ GTS

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2002 01:41 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had dinner with Dana Carvey, Baz Lurman, Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, Rachel Griffiths, Riddley Scott, Josh Hartnett, Marisa Tomei , Michael J. Fox, Doug Wick, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Jullian Fellows, Chris Tucker, Magic Johnson, Ron Howard, Jennifer Lopez, Will Smith, Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg.

It was really a pain in the ass because each and every one of them came to my table and asked where was Brad Miller. Brad was apparently dinning in Quark's Cafe over at the Hilton’s Star Trek Experience and wasn't available.

It was fun seeing all of those stars from 350 feet away. Thank God for video I-Mag. The pace of the show was slow, most of the stars weren’t aware that the audience they were talking to, were theatre owners and responsible for their income. Most thanked their agents and the marketing department of the studios. The only two stars that made direct comments about theatre owners were Will Smith and Chris Tucker.

The dinner was a filet of beef, a portion of Sea Bass, mashed potatoes, an arrangement of tiny vegetables and salad. I cannot be high enough to describe dessert. The center table arrangements were a film tin with a 16mm reel on top all painted gold. Many people took them home as souvenirs.

It was great meeting so many Film-Tech'ers at the Gathering. Many thanks go to CPI for putting the Film-Tech Gathering together for us this year. We hope to see more of you next year. It was great to meet Brad. We were sorry that Joe chose not to attend. Joe, nobody attacked Brad, no one would have attacked you.

Well, that's it for the show. I must go and pack for England and the Wide Screen Weekend in Bradford. I will not be posting here for a couple of weeks, but here is hoping that the many who were here will comment. I look forward to reading Brad's comments on what he saw while he was here.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2002 12:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian
Brad did not attend due to the Sea Bass being on the plate. Squeelberg shoulda known better by now!
MArk @ GTS

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-08-2002 04:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't go because I was afraid of being attacked?? Where did that come from? I thought I didn't go because I didn't want to pay for air and hotel fare to attend a convention for an industry I am no longer involved in. I would have had fun the first day I was there, that's for sure. But after that I imagine I would be bored shitless seeing the same booth stuff over and over again on the trade show floor (*yawn*). And don't say "well you could have driven out". While technically true, I HATE driving. I will not be driving to any other states. Oh an the Rockies have gotten about 2 feet of snow last night so I would have been utterly screwed coming home if I had driven

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2002 04:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe
Not involved in the industry???? 1700 plus posts. You would have gotten a really cool Film-Tech T shirt had you been there.....
Not involved, then how come U are here? Seems to me if U are here U are involved.....
Anyway U could have made some great videos there!!!
Mark @ GTS

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-08-2002 04:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not involved meaning I don't work in the industry. Seeing the new cutting-edge booth products are not exactly my definition of "excitement". Most of my posts are in Yak, as you will notice. You'll also notice I'm rarely in the chat room since I have nothing to say when everyone starts talking about their equipment. It would have been fun meeting and hanging around with everybody, which is the only reason I wanted to go, but I don't think spending $300 + is worth it, especially with my financial situation right now.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-08-2002 10:09 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, What am I missing here? Remember the old song Where have you gone Joe "Red-if-er?" Need you to fill in the blanks.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-08-2002 11:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the message that appears at the end of his reviews needs to be modified. "Joe used to be a projectionist?"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-09-2002 02:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha no Mike. At the time I wrote those reviews I was working in a projection booth. I would love to work in a booth environment again as I love the job, but the pay is so bad that there is no hope of surviving on it.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-10-2002 02:34 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too True!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: