Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 88 Xenons to light twin beam WTC memorial (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 88 Xenons to light twin beam WTC memorial
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 10:08 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On March 11th two parallel beams composed of 88 xenons will be turned on as a memorial to those who died in the terrorist attack on New York's World Trade Center.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/04/nyregion/04LIGH.html

100 bulbs valued at $1200 each were donated by General Electric,
who with individuals, and corporations led by Deutche Bank, AOL-Time Warner and others is helping to make up the $500,000 cost. Consolidated Edison is donating the power, which will burn from dusk to 11 PM nightly, but will be turned off when necessary for helicopter traffic, cloud cover and bird migration.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2002 07:28 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shortly after the tragedy, the New York Times Magazine section had a cover that showed the Trade Center site from a distance, and two beams of light streaming up to the heavens in place of the buildings. It is one of the most moving pictures I have ever seen. Nice to see this will really happen...should be a very emotional and powerful lighting.

Thanks for posting this, Gerard. If you get a chance to see this display, please post a description.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2002 09:08 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I certainly appreciate the sentiment, shinning more light into the night sky is something I am totally against. This is a great example of light pollution at it's worst.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2002 07:13 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,
The issue of light polution is addressed in the NYTimes report link
above. By placing the lights in Battery Park, (whose BP City Administration approved the project) and turning the beams off when
cloud cover is low, the light should not disturb the quality of life of city residents. By linking the Federal Aviation Administration and the NYC Audubon Society with the technician in charge, the beams
will be turned off whenever they threaten air travel or aviary migration. And the memorial is temporary:
<"It's like a votive candle," said Saskia Levy, the project organizer
for the Municipal Art Society, the principal sponsor of the installation, "It will have its time and place. And then it will go out.">
My thought was that the beams might prove invisible, the way a projection beam cannot be seen in a theater unless there is sufficient dust or smoke present in the auditorium. I have seen Hollywood style searchlight displays fail at supermarket openings
because their beams could not be seen unless they illuminated cloud cover. But the xenon concept has been tested in Las Vegas, and the sponsors believe it will work in NYC, with its waterfront mist to make the beams visible. More details in the NYTimes four-page report
cited above.
Gerard

Owen Shave
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2002 07:21 PM      Profile for Owen Shave   Email Owen Shave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you live in NYC I think two giant beams pointing to the sky is probably the least of your problems re: light pollution. I await with great interest tho how it will look. If you want to see it there is a site which has a webcam of the New York skyline. I believe it is www.nj.com ..check it out once they fire those babies up. Should be a fitting memorial.. certainly looks impressive in the 'artist's impression'.

Owen

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2002 11:40 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a report on "CBS Sunday Morning" on the tribute, including footage showing a technician lamping one of those "Space Cannons" without wearing a bomb suit or face mask, and with that 7K lamp about a foot-and-a-half away from his face.

Nearly hit the ceiling seeing such stupidity played out on TV, although I reckon most viewers wouldn't even notice.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2002 01:15 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg M is correct. It certainly IS light pollution at its worst.

Big Media loves to go ga-ga over these kinds of stories. They're more appropriately called "Anniversary Junk Food News" -- cheap, easy, doesn't offend the rich and powerful.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2002 10:28 PM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi jon,
i saw that same report on the aussie news, i was quite shocked to see it!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2002 10:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it was a dummie for the news guys...er, ah, I mean the lamp.
Mark @ GTS

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 08:07 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that same news report with the guy installing the Xenon with no protective gear on at all. Not even some goggles or anything. At least I at least have goggles on in my picture.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 08:51 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I turned on the TV at 7:00PM only to find the lamps were switched on at 6:55, so I didn't see whether they were struck individually, or
in banks, or all at once. But the broad beams were brilliant blue
against a cobalt sky, with the lights of the city skyline like brilliant diamonds. Of the 18 broadcast TV channels I get from my rooftop antenna, 7 broadcast the lighting ceremony. After a while
the beams turned white. Perhaps blue glass filters were used, like
those used on the Empire State Building on 34th Street, which is
presently red/white/blue, but goes green for St Patrick's Day, and
other colors for other holidays or celebrations. On TV, from cameras
judiciously placed, the spectacle was most impressive!
From my house about ten miles away, the view was disappointing (there
are no hills in Forest Hills--they were leveled over a century ago.)
The beams were faint and white, with a white circle where they hit the clouds, washed out by the pink glow reflected from the sodium-vapor streetlamps in Forest Hills Gardens.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-11-2002 09:15 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, The only "dummy" was the the guy carrying the lamp. It is sad as it would have been much more dramatic to have had him wearing the gear. Not to mention it would have been the right thing to do.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2002 06:30 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Photos of the light memorial. the stories behind it, and full coverage of the ceremonies in New York, Pennsylvania and Washington
can be found at
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/12/nyregion/12MONT.html

Gerard

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-12-2002 07:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a good photo of this on the front page of today's Boston Globe.

I'm surprised that they didn't get a bunch of carbon-arc searchlights instead of using the xenons, although they probably wanted something that didn't require an operator.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2002 07:39 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a great photo by someone at photo.net:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=628154

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: