Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Spike Milligan has died.

Author Topic: Spike Milligan has died.
Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 04:56 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have just announced that Spike Milligan has died.

For those who don't know him, he was the comic genius who was the main influence for Monty Python.

A great comedian & author.

R.I.P. Spike

|  IP: Logged

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 05:37 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan

I just heard this sad news on the radio.Spike along with Peter Sellers, Harry Secombe and Michael Bentine created the truly groundbreaking Goons radio show back in the early fifties. Although the last of the original programmes was broadcast back before i was able to appreciate them some of my most enduring memories of my childhood are of Sunday lunctimes listening to the the repeats on the Light programme of the Beeb Beeb Ceeb>

Spike was truly a genius. I had the great honour of meeting him on a couple of occasions back in the late seventies and he made me laugh more than anyone before or since.

Farewell Spike . Truly Goon but not forgotten.

For more see BBC news online http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 05:55 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How sad to lean about that- Spike Milligan was a real comic and will be sadly missed by all, I am sure.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-27-2002 08:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here here.

Michael Hunt
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 09:02 AM      Profile for Michael Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are we going to do now?...

------------------
There must be more to life than Film and Rugby...

Gwan Glawster!!!

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 03:18 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there's not much more to life than film & rugby.

Except comedy.

Spike was the master.

I grew up listening to & watching Spike, reading his books.

Bloody awful start to the day.

Spike, we will miss you

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 03:34 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also had the pleasure of meeting Spike Milligan over 30 years ago.
I was doing some moonlighting at the Roundhouse Theatre, Chalk Farm, London, helping out at the BFI Cinema City exhibition for a month under Charles Beadow. The three of us went to the empty bar which was situated behind the projection room, only to find Spike who decided to join us for company. Needless to say a great time was had by all leaving us with a wonderful memory! Think I bought a round ?

Harry Secombe lived just outside Cranleigh, often seen in the village.

Owen Shave
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 09:28 PM      Profile for Owen Shave   Email Owen Shave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to include this poem. Pure comic genius is rare, but Spike Milligan had it..

On the Ning Nang Nong

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
and the monkeys all say BOO!
There's a Nong Nang Ning
Where the trees go Ping!
And the tea pots jibber jabber joo.
On the Nong Ning Nang
All the mice go Clang
And you just can't catch 'em when they do!
So its Ning Nang Nong
Cows go Bong!
Nong Nang Ning
Trees go ping
Nong Ning Nang
The mice go Clang
What a noisy place to belong
is the Ning Nang Ning Nang Nong!

Spike Milligan

we're not worthy.
Owen

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-28-2002 03:51 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spike made sure he wrote his own epitaph...

it reads...

'I told you I was ill'.

Trust him to still make me laugh. The goons still run here on radio national every Sunday afternoon and have done for years. When they run out they just start again.

Here's a link to a famous moment on Australian Radio in 1971 where Spike was in the same studio as the very straight talking newsreader of the time during the reading of the live news on the ABC radio network. Very funny...
http://www.abc.net.au/am/2002/02/28/20020228am08.asx

To flap the unflappable...

See you, Spike.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2002 12:26 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm not scared of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens"

I'm far too young to remember the goons, but I do remember the repeats. Spike leaves a legacy of most of the best radio and television comedy ever broadcast.

Craig Hanham
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2002 04:35 PM      Profile for Craig Hanham   Email Craig Hanham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Real Loss.

I just love Bad Jelly The Witch.
A great piece of literature.
Try listening to a recorded version when rat-arsed drunk /stoned or both.

"she turned me into a mouse said Dinglemouse.
What were you before?
I was a Banana"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: