Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Incredible Foreworks Display, Olympics Over (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Incredible Foreworks Display, Olympics Over
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-24-2002 10:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was just witness to what has to have been the most incredible fireworks display this city has ever seen. They were shooting off the stuff from 8 different locations which spanned about 3 to 4 miles in width. Absolutely incredible!
Rice Eccles is less than a mile from my home but you'd never know anything was going on over there!
Oh well, pack up, clean up, in three days you'll never know it was here.
Mark @ Home

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-25-2002 01:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to forget about Utah again.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 02:07 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, you gotta love those foreworks.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-25-2002 05:10 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually kind of pissed. We had to watch it from TV and just as it was about to start they cut to the news so they could show it to us tape delayed.

Love that NBC olympic coverage.

If I had known they were going to do that, I would have gone out to see it.

Dave

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-25-2002 08:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John ya better watch out those Mormon Crickets are commin to get you.
And yes, they're are some in Utah that might say it foreworks!
Mark @ Old GTS

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-25-2002 01:34 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the seagulls...

Paul
Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Thrust!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 04:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waitasecond....

You were gonna watch fireworks on TV?!?

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2002 04:49 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said: "Was just witness to what has to have been the most incredible fireworks display this city has ever seen."

Dave, you are in Salt Lake City, presumeably wanted to see the fireworks, decided to watch them on TV , and were upset when they were pre-empted for the news? You got me baffled there. If it mattered to see the fireworks live and in real-time, why not just go outside and watch them?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-25-2002 06:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave's a little too far south to hvae actually seen them from his front porch like I did. I live less than a mile from Rice/Eccles stadium.
Mark @ NEW GTS

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-25-2002 07:23 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a blanket invitation to all film-tech member to come to New York City for the Fourth of July fireworks display on the East River and on the Hudson River. If you want to do it correctly go on a dinner cruise sit out on the bay entering New York's harbor. On your left will be the Statue of Liberty, Liberty Island and the Jersey shore leading to the Palisades. The George Washington Bridge up the Hudson. In front of you is the Isle of Manhattan (and although sans the World Trade Center) the magnificent view of lower Manhattan which is still breathtaking). On you right and up the East River you can see the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge, also the South Street Seaport.

Fireworks surround the City, bursting in manificent's and creating a scene extreemly difficult to match, without using special effects.

Now having said that.... Go to Bristol, Rhode Island and join their Parade on the Fourth of July. Meet the Greatest Patriot that you will ever meet. Watch as she celebrates the birthday of the United States. Miss Saucy Sylvia.

The invitation has been extended......it's up to all 1025 of you, yes, including the lurkers...after all you are human, right?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-25-2002 10:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Isn't there an aircraft carrier parked in the river there someplace? Could we book that for the 4th of July party and show some films out there too? Films, then foreworks??? Well, Some in Utah pronounce it that way......At least they have not caught onto saying folms yet....You'd think they were from Kentucky or somethin.
@ Home

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2002 10:32 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob says...""Go to Bristol, Rhode Island and join their Parade on the Fourth of July""

...It IS a great parade!! And after the parade you can all stop by my house for a big 4th of July picnic~! I am about 45 minutes North of Bristol! Come Visit!

Paul Goulet

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-26-2002 10:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our co-workers was called for Guard duty during the Olympics told us that the mortors that were launched during the closing fireworks were launched from 12 foot cannons. The fireworks company claimed they are the largest in the world. Each charge was about 3 feet in diameter! Now I know why it shook my house!
Mark @ New GTS

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-26-2002 03:07 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is correct on my location. From where I am you cannot see them but as specs in the distance. In order to have actually gone down there I would have had to have some more advance notice so I could change my families schedule for sunday evening, as we were having a very large party going on.

My beef is that nothing was mentioned that they were going to cut to the news at NINE at night.

Plus, we would have had to get out the 25 foot ladder of non existence and climbed onto the room to see the small specs of fireworks, as we have way too many damn trees.

Dave

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2002 06:12 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Olympics: Just another TV show with a canned applause track.

OTOH movie attendance was up compared to the same timeframe in 2001. As Ice Cube might put it, "It's All About the Product".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: