Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is it just me, or is Fil,-Tech running slow? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is it just me, or is Fil,-Tech running slow?
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 12:05 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually use Opera 6, and it seemed really slow today. So I tried IE5, Netscape 4.78 and 6.2 and all had the same results. Everything else seems to be running fast as usual through my office network connection. Is anyone else having this problem?

|  IP: Logged

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 12:14 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's slow. I think Film-Tech is being visited for many people today (I don't know much bout internet connection) at night is fastter than day. I use dial-up at home and DLS ("banda ancha" or "ABA" in spanish) at theater.

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 12:40 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is running fine for me today... perhaps there is just some net congestion on your feeder lines. Actually I find that Film-Tech allmost allways loads fast for me. Guess that I am just lucky.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-23-2002 03:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The server load is pretty close to zero right now. If the site seems slow, then it's probably a temporary routing issue. For amusement value, feel free to send me or Brad a traceroute from your site to www.film-tech.com. Also be sure to include the type of net connection you are using (dialup, isdn, cable, T1, OC-192, etc.).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-23-2002 05:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OC-192 lines are far too slow and have such limited bandwidth. Most of my friends and neighbors still use OC-192 and I can't stand it when I am surfing the internet or transferring files at their places. Oh well you get what you pay for and OC-192 lines are cheaper than dirt.

I can't run a trace to www.film-tech.com from my FTTC (fiber to the curb) line. All I get are errors. However I can ping the same destination and I get 82ms response times, which are pretty good in my opinion. The site seems pretty normal to me. Sometimes a forum page will load slow. Also sometimes it will seem slow when 10 people are trying to download one of my awesome videos at the same time

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-23-2002 07:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe: _you_ have friends?!?!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-23-2002 08:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple. My gramma is on a budget but she wanted internet so she just got an OC-192 line fed to her house. When will people learn that it is far too slow? Especially with all of the software pirating that she plans to be doing.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 09:14 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

So, I guess you must be running OC-768? You're right...OC-192 is so OLD tech.
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci294572,00.html

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-23-2002 10:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got twelve OC-15360's per computer in my house.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-23-2002 11:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Running lightning fast here in Slat Lake City, but then everyting seems to be running about that fast during the Olympics.
Mark @ Home

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-24-2002 12:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time the server is bogged down is when I am doing maintenance on the forums or a lot of people are posting. Other than that, there really is nothing that puts any real strain on the server, so odds are it is an individual's connection, or one that is associated with your area.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2002 09:49 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know what was happening yesterday. Normally, Film-Tech runs quite fast for me, everything loads in a matter of seconds. Things seemed to start slowing down on Friday, and all day yesterday, Film-Tech just wouldn't load properly. For example, it would take 4 minutes just to load the film-yak forum topics page, if it would load at all. Any other page I went to seemed to load quickly, for example, I could download the high bandwidth trailer for Amelie in less than a minute. Film-Tech seemed to be the only problem that I encountered, but it obviously was not on the Film-Tech side, and the problem seemed to be present no matter what browser I was using. I am not completely sure of my network connection at work, it is a campus network, but it seems to run at speeds similar to a T-1. How can I run a trace route? I guess I will see if the problem corrects itself when I get back into the office tomorrow. I am on a 56k dial-up at home right now, and things are running quite quickly. It makes no sense that they wouldn't at work. Any advice would be welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2002 06:29 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film-Tech working pretty zippy for me.

avergage ping time is 95ms.
Looks like there is a little bit of a slow down in the epoch network though starting with pos9-1.dcp-c001.gw.epoch.net [155.229.57.173]there it spikes up to 100ms

pos9-1.dcp-c001.gw.epoch.net [155.229.57.173] is a little slow average time is ~100ms as well, so it appears to be a network problem.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2002 05:56 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear about being slow,I thought it was the Japanese crappy phone system....I was on the Island 0f Guam a few weeks ago & they have the most crappiest phone system ever, well maybe second, India is worst !!

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2002 07:30 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday between about 20:00 hrs GMT and sometimes this morning (when I got up) the site dissapeared altogether! I thought it was my crappy ISP's DNS servers playing up, again. But I ICQ'ed a couple of people on your side of the pond, and they got the same result. I pinged www.film-tech.com and got 100%loss. Dunno what the heck happened, other sites were fine last night.
Today it's fine, getting 336ms average ping, yes Joe, it's very slow, but I'm on dial up, there is no alternative here unless you are prepared to pay upwards of £40/month for the dubious pleasure of ADSL. After much faffing around with the telco provider, and much faffing around with modem drivers etc I've got a rock steady 52,000bps connection, it's not going to get any better until someone breaks the monopoly that British Telecom claim they don't have here in the UK.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: