Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Another Seattle Theatre Goes Bye Bye

Author Topic: Another Seattle Theatre Goes Bye Bye
Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 05:04 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We learned today the first mall theatre built in Seattle 50 years ago has closed.
The Northgate Theatre was recently operated by Loewes Cineplex, had over 1300 seats and boasted the largest cry room, accomadating over 30 seats.
An article in Thursday's P.I. newspaper commented the theatre was so run down there were more surprises in the seats that a Vietnamese brothel.
A fellow union projectionist worked the theater up until a year ago and said the rats used to ride around the platter tables for entertainment.

|  IP: Logged

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 05:20 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DANG!!! I once work at a theater as a projectionist & a BIG RAT came out & said I theaded the projector wrong, showed me how to do it right !!! so I can relate !!!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 09:54 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I saw the story on KIRO-TV 7 last night. How sad that this once grand theater had been let run down from lack of maintenance.

Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 07:53 PM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curtain Falls on Northgate Theater

Never went there, but I always looked at it as I drove by on the freeway to see if it was still open. Lowes closed the single screen Southcenter on the other end of town, so it seemed a matter of time until this theater went. The mall could always use a few more parking spaces at Christmas.

CinemaTour Northgate entry

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2002 07:49 PM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my god!!! I remember that theater from passing it on the freeway but also visiting it when I was a kid. Well I guess time and lack of maintenance took it's tole.
I wonder if they'll close the Grand in Lynnwood (the one next to my ol' theater-Alderwood 7). I've been there a couple o' times, talk about Film Done Wrong!!! Oh wait I just remembered there's a corporate office attached to it I believe. But man that thing is run down.

Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 10:23 AM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a corporate office attached to Bellevue's John Danz theater, but that didn't stop them from gutting it and turning it into a Good Guys store. The corporate office was for Sterling Recreation Organization, and after they sold their theaters to Cineplex Odeon, they changed their name to Sterling Real-estate Organization, and are still in the same office. They still own and operate the Puget Park Drive-In.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 01:54 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rats work for food. Rats used to run my booth when I worked at the Byron-Carlyle on Miami Beach!!!!!

(LOL)

On a serious note:

It is sad to see yet another old theatre close. Although I do not what is sadder - seeing a theatre close after many years of running it - or remembering the grand opening of a theatre that has closed.

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: