Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Chuck Jones 1912-2002 R.I.P.

Author Topic: Chuck Jones 1912-2002 R.I.P.
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-23-2002 01:54 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an unfortunate link:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/714296.asp?pne=msn

Paul
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth shattering kaboom!"

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-23-2002 02:47 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunate, indeed. Another great loss to our industry.

Paul

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 05:08 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He will be sorely missed. Got to meet him one time and that I will never forget.

(Uhhhh, think I took a wrong turn at ........)

Hey St. Peter, let him him and the place will never be the same.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-23-2002 09:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is sad indeed. A great era passes on. I grew up on that stuff.
Mark @ Home

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 09:56 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it is sad, but what a body of work! So much to be proud of. I have so many happy memories of watching those cartoons.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 11:22 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one really hits me hard. Chuck Jones has been a personal hero of mine for years, along with Jim Henson and Les Paul. I doubt there is an accurate count of how many projects he worked on...probably in the hundreds.

I could list so many favorite titles here. I'll settle for just few favorites:

Robin Hood Daffy...remembered fondly for "Yoikes, and away! (boom)"
Duck Amuck...A surrealistic masterpiece
How the Grinch Stole Christmas...The only proper version of this
(Max and Cindy Lou are the most "Chuck-like" characters.)
Rikki, Tikki, Tavi...A TV cartoon that I could see over and over

Chuck was the master of comic timing. What is most amazing is that the cartoons were all pre-planned, and almost edited ahead of time. That requires master craftsmanship.

Good-bye, Chuck. Your name will live on, as many generations of families introduce their children to the wonder of Looney Tunes.

Today is indeed a sad day...A dose of Michigan J. Frog might be just the thing right now.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2002 01:06 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never met the man, but I have seen him from across the room. Chuck Jones was honored by the Telluride Film Festival a bunch of years ago. This was one of the first times his work as an artist was recognized. He then had a close association with the Telluride Film Festival. He designed some of their film posters and he usually had a film in the festival. Recently his daughter has taken over and they have begun to make new cartoons. We saw a new Road Runner cartoon a few years back. Telluride honored Chuck Jones again by naming a theatre after him. There are pictures in the Picture section of Film-Tech.

Like I said, I never met the man, but his Art has influenced my life.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2002 01:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought Chuck Jones (not to mention Tex Avery and Friz Freleng's) cartoons were far funnier and more entertaining than Disney's. A great loss indeed. End of an era.
www.looneytunes.com has a nice little popup window honoring Chuck. It's about the first popup I've seen that wasn't trying to sell something.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-23-2002 08:18 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Goodbye Chuck...thank-you so, so, so much.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: