Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » IE5.5 and Turbo Tax

Author Topic: IE5.5 and Turbo Tax
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 05:19 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have happily been using IE5.0 these past two years. I don't have any problems with it and it is pretty speedy. I have tried Netscape 4.7 and 6 and found them wanting. I have tried IE6.0 and found it wanting. I have tried Opera and liked it but I couldn't print from the browser.

So I bought my annual Quicken, Turbo Tax this year and installed it. It then told me it was installing IE5.5 with 128 bit encryption. I already had IE5.0 with 128 bit encryption but I figured it might be an upgrade. I wasn't given the option of opting out. Now I discover that IE5.5 is made with Mosaic just like IE6.0 and it runs like IE6.0 as well. Can I dump IE5.5 and still have my Turbo Tax work as advertised? Or do I have to live with this bastard of a web browser until my taxes are complete in April?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-15-2002 05:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the government would accept "didn't file my taxes because of inferior web browser"

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-15-2002 06:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm backing up any critical data on my machine and am about to do a slash and burn format of my C: drive and do a clean reinstall so I can get a few errant programs working back in the way they should. The biggest stinker is Outlook Express. I cannot modify my views to hide read and downloaded messages. Those particular view options have been eliminated from the views flyout. Uninstall and reinstall doesn't help. So basically it has to be some crap in the registry doing this.

Sure, some might suggest using Netscape. I tried version 6.2, and it sucks. It has more user interface garbage hogging screen real estate than just about any other application I have ever seen. Not only that, the program hangs when I try to resize windows. AOL is the worst thing to ever happen to that app. I doubt I'll ever use it again.

To get back on topic, I'm pretty sure IE 5.5 would not be fouling up if it weren't so Frankenstein grafted into the OS. Microsoft Windows will always be compromised in terms of performance, stability and security as long as Microsoft continues to graft a bunch of needless bloat directly into the operating system. This problem would be solved if the DOJ would ever break up Microsoft and force a 100% split between the code for the OS and the code for the Internet/MS Office stuff.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 06:27 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

Quicken may or may not work without IE5.5, as IE is integrated with it. Alternatly, once you are done using quicken you can uninstall IE5.5 and revert back to 5.0 In all honesty you shouldn't have TOO many problems with 5.5 as it is acutally closer to 5.0 than 6.0.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 06:29 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Now I discover that IE5.5 is made with Mosaic just like IE6.0 and it runs like IE6.0 as well. "

Huh? I run IE 5.5 with minimal problems. AFAIK both Netscape and IE have roots in Mosaic. I'm not sure what problems you are having. I'd immediately go to Windows Update and see if I was missing any critical updates from the install.

I stopped using Turbotax when I got an accountant. He has paid for himself and then some. Personally, if the older version of Quicken had been Y2K compliant, I'd be using it as well. Reports in the current version suck. Trying to make a custom report is almost impossible. Turbotax installing something besides Turbotax is an indication of BAD BAD programming. I'd better stop now on that subject, I feel a rant coming on about cash flow, upgrades, required net access and snooping, and a bunch of other things.

Rip out TT and return it as a defective product. Get a C.P.A. Inputing info for taxes into a program without a real accountant looking over your shoulder makes as much sense as having the concession cashier be your tech.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have reverted to IE5.0 and am much happier. I'll probably have to go back to IE5.5 when it comes time to e-file my taxes. Though as I will owe taxes, I guess I'll just send them in snail mail. What do I care if the IRS has to pay some data entry person to input my information?

I read on epinion.com that some people were very incensed about having TurboTax put IE5.5 on their computer. Hopefully they will abstain in the future.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2002 07:18 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was also torqued about TurboTax insisting on installing IE 5.5 without even being polite and asking first. The box did say it was required, and I really like TT, so I went ahead with it. So far, I have had no problems as a result of IE 5.5. I use Opera, but my wife uses IE.

What I don't understand is what exactly about TurboTax requires a particular version of a browser to be present? It always worked just fine in the past with whatever browser was on my system.

One of my absolute pet peeves about software in general is that during install, it doesn't bother to ask before it goes making major changes to my system. For example, when I upgraded my laptop from 98 to 98SE, without asking or warning it upgraded Outlook Express from 4 to 5. This is not necessarily bad, but I was perfectly happy with 4. Why could it not have asked if I wanted this? It seems so simple.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2002 05:55 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"What I don't understand is what exactly about TurboTax requires a particular version of a browser to be present?"

Simple. It uses one or more of the DLLs that are part of I.E. 5.5. Most likely it uses direct calls to the 128 bit encryption. Windows programs are only very rarely a complete code set, and commonly rely on the API (Application Programmers Interface), for such simple things as printer dialog boxes, open file dialog boxes, etc. Some programs require parts of programs like Excel or Access to run properly. The application company saves development time $ and debugging time $ by doing this.

The problem is that these code snippets can be updated or changed, or even downgraded by an older program with a faulty install protocol. That can make other programs not work, because they expect explicit behavior from that code snippit.

MS got its fingers burned by requiring IE as part of the operating system. However, there is no law to prevent MS "friends" from requiring it as part of their program. I leave it to you to imagine what private conversations took place on a golf course somewhere between Intuit headquarters and Redmond, WA.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-23-2002 01:23 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You Windows guys have it all. I use a Mac and am sadly disappointed that there isn't a web browser intertwined with my operating system all sharing cool "DLL" files. DLL ROCKS!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: