Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fax Spam and Boiler Rooms (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fax Spam and Boiler Rooms
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2002 01:26 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read with great interest about Fax Solicitations because I had also understood that they were illegal. We have been receiving some (not a huge quantity) of faxed solicitations here at the Rialto. At first I wondered where they were getting the number. I started calling the 877 numbers at the bottom of the page to have our number removed from the database, but I am not sure of the effectiveness. I have also called the company advertised and complained and they said that I wouldn't receive another fax, which I did.

I have recently decided that they are probably getting my fax number from web forms I fill out to purchase certain items. Since I have never gotten a useful fax from a website sale or company, I guess they have no use for the fax number. So the lesson is to give less information. Now I do have a different email address for web sites so I don't give them my primary address and that seems to divert much spam in to a secondary email box.

Now we have a published email address and we have private email addresses. We hardly ever get spam on our private email accounts. But we get a lot of spam on our published account. We get everything from penis extension to mortgage come-ons. I wonder how to limit spam on our public account? Ky and I trade managing the email on the public account and I get to give it up in March.

The newest, most disturbing thing that is happening is I am getting cold calls from stockbrokers trying to sell me stock. I laugh at every one who calls and ask them if they have seen the film Boiler Room. They get all huffy and tell me that they are legitimate. I haven't bought so much as a wisk broom from a telephone solicitor, why would I spend money with a stockbroker I have never met? By the way, I have a stockbroker named Vincent Signorile who never calls me. That's the way a stockbroker is supposed to act. They don't call you; you call them. They don't have "hot tips." Actually stockbrokers are legally prohibited from giving you their opinion, they must just give you facts and numbers. I wonder how they got my number? Vincent tells me that I am on a public list and it goes around. He tells me that they did so well in the 90s that they still have a taste for it and now that the market has bottomed out they are striking hard to sign people up to purchase what they think are under-valued stocks. Whether legitimate or not, why would anyone buy something from a salesman over the phone without doing serious research?

Now, I must admit, I do purchase things over the web with very little research. But most of the companies I buy from, I have at least heard of, like Amazon, Buy, CDW, J&R and others. Sometimes I take a flyer on some inexpensive item from someone I have never heard of that is possibly one guy in his basement with a computer, a charge account and a roll of stamps. I have yet to be burned on the web.

So even though I have been successful buying stuff on the web, be careful about giving too much information away on the web-forms. Establish a free email account so that you never give your primary account out. Never fill in optional fields. Alter your name with a fictional middle initial so you can track from where they are getting you name.

The best thing I ever did (not intentional) was to use my work address as my primary address. I never get phone solicitations at home. The name on the phone does, but I just tell them to fuck off. I never get junk mail at home. Nobody calls during the dinner hour. If you can give a voice mailbox number out as your phone number, so much the better.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-14-2002 01:49 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my voicemail greeting where I used to work, I always ended with "If this is an unsolicited sales call, please do not be offended, but I will not return your call." That got rid of about 90% of the sales people -- they don't even bother leaving a message. (You may wonder: How does he know if it's a sales call? The phone displayed whether the call was coming from inside the company or outside, and also whether it was transferred to my extension by the receptionist or the auto-attendant, or if it was direct-dialed to my private number. Calls routed via the receptionist or auto-attendant were virtually always sales people, so I could let voicemail pick it up, and most of the time the caller would hang up without leaving a message after hearing the greeting.)

If it's a sales call at home, at the very first clue that it's a sales person (usually within seconds), I interrupt them and say "I'm sorry, I'm not interested. Please remove my number from your database and never call again. Thank you, goodbye" and hang up. They can't get a word out.

The most idiotic sales calls are the ones where the call is made by a computer, and the person on the other end has to wait for the computer to confirm that someone has answered before transferring the call over to the human. There is always a long silent pause, then the human picks up. What a lame system -- a dead giveaway that it's a sales call.

------------------
- dave
Look at this! His chin strap has been cut!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-14-2002 02:00 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's for this reason that I operate two private e-mail addresses - one which I use to subscribe to listservs and which I give as my address on forums such as this one, and another which I only give to friends and relatives, with instructions not to pass it on.

Therefore I can be sure that spam, invitations from dodgy Nigerians to give them lots of money and out-of-office autoreplies will only go to the address I give everyone, and also that viruses are unlikely to go to the personal one. I also have a work address, which is on a Microsoft Outlook server and which I only use for internal e-mail becuase (i) the only way you can get at it off-site is through a web interface (i.e. you can't download email and read it offline) which, given that you pay by the minute for a dial-up connection in the UK, is not very useful and (ii) it generates out-of-office autoreplies, so using another address for listservs prevents these messages from being bounced onto them.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2002 04:22 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Tennessee, we have a state regulated "do not call list" that you can subscribe to for free. It generally takes about 4-6 weeks for it to go into effect, but once it does - any telemarketer that calls a number on the do not call list is subject to a $500.00 fine. Most of the time if you tell them your on the do not call list, they hang up immeadiatley, and they have their caller id signal blocked so you can't identify where they called from.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-14-2002 04:52 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
On the email subject.... Everytime I send the "REMOVE" return email or click the "click here to be deleted from our list" it seems like I get a bunch more but new spam many times over. I am calling it spam even though one of their tricks is to have the disclaimer saying I "asked" for this info.
I think the "REMOVE" sites do indeed remove you from that particular list but share me with others as a "Verified" address since I replied with my email address to be deleted. What a pile of !

Must be a legal loophole.

>>> Phil

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2002 04:56 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been seeing ads for a device called Telezapper. It supposed to recognize telemarketer calls then send a signal to their computers to erase the number from the computers. Does anybody know if this thing really works or not? I could use it at home.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-14-2002 05:28 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I am to understand that the Telezapper thing works by answering your phone with the annoying three tones that signifies a disconnected number here in the US. Computer-dialed solicitations will see this as a disconnected phone and the number will be removed from the database. Of course, family members and such are subjected to the same annoying tones every time they wish to speak with you.

At least that's the way the guy at Radio Shack was explaining it to an old lady whose soaps kept getting interrupted.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the local tv stations in Seattle just did a consumer test on the Telezapper last week. It works----sort of. True it does prevent the sales call from coming thru to you, but it does not remove you from their dialer list. In the bioler room operations it only shows on their records as "call not completed" so they will still continue to try calling you.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-14-2002 06:49 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The links to remove your name from mailing lists in email spam are - almost without fail - fraudulent. By using them you are only confirming that the address is active, and it thus becomes more valuable, gets sold and bought as "guaranteed", and you will get more and more spam.
They are a bit like chain letters... "Edwina K. in Dallas got $12,000 in the mail after sending the letter" - there is no way for this news to have been added to the chain letter! Similarly, the actual users of email lists just get a copy of a list, and they can't remove your name from the master list which continues to be distributed...

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-14-2002 07:27 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can use the Jay Donaldson method of handling telemarketers:
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/299/jay_donaldson.html

There are *REAL* calls to Jay, who dispatched the marketers with his own brand of reverse psychology and wit

-Aaron

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-14-2002 08:25 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave is right about sending email to remove your address; it only confirms it's real.

If someone calls, act interested at first, getting as much info about them as you can... then tell them not to call. If you tell them right away, they hang up and you don't know who they were, and they will call back.

Apparently there are places in the US that still do not have caller ID, and places that do not recognize caller ID blocking. So, phone solicitors route their calls through those places preventing you from seeing who it is. When you call some company, they have set up their incoming line the same way, so even if you have caller ID blocking, they see your number anyway.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-15-2002 03:16 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK you can, for an additional subscription on your 'phone bill, have a service whereby the telephone number of the person calling you appears on an LCD before you answer it: so if the call is from a number you don't recognise or a withheld number, you can decide not to answer, or let the answerphone pick it up. You also get this service thrown in for free with most mobile 'phone contracts. If I receive a call from a withheld number, I tend to 'screen' it using the answerphone first, and they usually turn out to be direct marketing calls.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 08:08 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The University I work for just published an article about email spam. Here is their advice:

The best defense against spam is simple, says Kim Milford, head of security at DoIT: "Throw it away. Do not read it, do not answer it, do not respond to it." Here are some specifics:

--Don't read it. The spam you read might contain a Web bug, sort of a return receipt for the spammer. Merely opening the message notifies the spammer that you are an active target for future mailings. If a message looks like spam, just throw it away without reading it.

--Don't reply. If you reply, you're telling the spammer that you exist. It's an invitation for more spam.

--Opting out might be dangerous. Spam often includes an invitation for readers to "opt out," or remove themselves from the spammer's mailing list. Use with caution. This, too, can be an invitation for more spam.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-15-2002 10:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an e-mail address especiall for spam...
spambucket@earthlink.net

I give that one out to all the websites and unknown people I meet on the internet and keep my other addresses private.

Funny... as many times as I give that address out, I receive hardly any spam from it. I'm guessing that "spam" in the address itself somehow gets the point across that there's virtually no chance the message will get read?

Also, when I have to fill out web forms in order to access a certain part of a site, unless I really WANT them to have my information I enter bogus information:

Name: No Spam
Address: 123 Nospam St.
City: Nospamville -- State: AK -- Zip: 12345
e-mail: spambucket@earthlink.net
username: nospam
password: nospam

I'm hoping that enough people will start doing this kind of thing so that the mailing lists that these companies are trying to "develop" will be so clogged up with bogus, garbage information that they will become useless.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 11:46 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, we use the street address of the local landfill operator. I figure I'm just a middleman anyway, why not send it direct to the destination.

Giving the address of the office of the state attorney could have a positive effect as well. If that office were to get all the spam mail normally sent to the citizens of the state, it might act on slowing the flow.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: