Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Robbery in Utah (Hosers got hosed) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Robbery in Utah (Hosers got hosed)
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 08:05 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that I'm not an expert in figure skating, but I am like some of you, an Olympic addict, have been since Lake Placid in '80. The crime was last night at the Ice Center (Delta Center). Good old fashioned "Russian Bloc" judging conspired to relegate probably the finest pairs skate in the history of the Olympics (by Canadians Pelletier & Sale) to SILVER, while the Russian couple kept that country's streak of 11 straight Olympic titles. The crowd knew it, numerous people interviewed like Dorothy Hamill were disgusted, even the "winning couple" knew it.

Never thought I'd speak out on a subject like this, but it's disgusting to learn that coaches have access to judges in practice, openly lobbying in some cases BEFORE the competition. I had trouble sleeping I was so angry. These people dedicate themselves as few of us will ever do, AND last night, they were perfect.

It's pre-judging is pretty obvious though, there was an American couple who were not expected to do much (Ina & Zimmerman). They turned in the performance of their lives, nearly flawless, 5th or 6th they ended up. They deserved silver, bronze at least. But they skated early, and the commentators at the time said that their skate was worthy of a medal at that point, but that the "big guns" were much later, and the Americans were doomed to be forgotten. And of course they were, a sidenote-story that will be forgotten in light of the more glaring theft of the gold.

What I love about the Olympics, is the respect that the fans have for all athletes and countries, you see it best when an American crowd rallies behind a Canadian pair like this, and even in events where the American is leading and then a foreigner turns in a great run to capture top spot, and the crowd still goes wild. It's all about appreciation of a great performance and respect, shows the true side of people.

Anyone else see it? I feel better now, on to skiing today, where the fastest one wins, go Canada!

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 10:02 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it, and you are exactly right about the silver and gold winners. And the American skaters put on the show of their careers and they deserved better. The crowd (and the skaters) knew what was going on, but thankfully the crowd showed some class as the awards were handed out despite the unfairness.

------------------
- dave
Look at this! His chin strap has been cut!

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-12-2002 03:17 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

You said it very well..I feel bad for the Canadian Skaters they are the true Number one and they were extreemly gracious in defeat. They exhibit real "Class".

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-12-2002 08:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Canadian team has apparently requested an investigation into this matter according tot he latest KSL news report. The whole world is up in arms over this obviously bought off win.
They reported that the Chineese judge is now mysteriously ill and will not be judging any more competitions.
Personally, I would assume that he cashed in his Rubles and is on a plane to some south sea island by now! Out here he is more likely to be tared and feathered!
Mark @ GTS

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 08:52 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen these two interviewed a bunch of times today. It is the International Skaters Union (governing body) that has started the "inquest", of course that is like Enron doing an "internal audit".
It's a shame that the athlete's are being pestered about this, when really they have nothing to answer to, they did their job, it's the ISU that needs to tell 16,000 fans in the rink and viewers around the world why they made us all feel dumb. There's a press conference in the morning. The Canadian Team I'm sure want answers as the world does, but there is no indication of any sort of appeal by them, this is BIG news all day here. The skaters are at peace, they did their best, and are proud of themselves. So much class. They'll be on Leno tonight, they are household names around the world, I believe in this case silver will be worth much more than "tainted" gold. The decision won't change, the only way would be if some judges admitted to the "fix", but that won't happen. Same pool of judges for the rest of the games, hope nobody else gets screwed.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 10:07 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
I am not a fan of figure skating, and I know very little about it, so I won't even begin to form an opinion on this one. However, NBC did an informal online poll on who should have won the pairs competition and a whopping 96% (after 200,000 votes) have said that the Canadians deserved the win. Looks the the US is behind the Canadians all the way. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2002 10:19 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard on the morning radio news today, that a preliminary investegation has found that the French judge made a deal with the Russian judge. In the deal, the Russian judge persuaded the French judge (before competition) to agree to vote for the Russians in an exchange for the Russian vote during the "Ice Dancing" competition. It looks like this is really going to taint the image of the Winter Games.

It's a shame that these athletes work their entire life to get the chance to compete in the Olympic games, and some screwball judges ruin the whole thing.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It kinda looks like the whole Olympics thing is getting a little twisted. The scandal over where the games were to be held before it even got started and now stuff like this. It's very sad that the games, which were once a place where politics and greed could be set aside are obviously no longer immune. I was watching a news article the other night and they were talking about the new high-tech helmets and clothing that they can wear that can shave 1/10 of a second off of their times. They test this stuff in wind tunnels. I also saw that one of our skaters had lost out her 1st place win by that same 1/10 of a second in a previous Olympics. Is it just me or is this whole thing getting just a bit bizarre?

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-13-2002 07:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with you Greg. Its like when the ball teams went on strike. Baseball now has little or no meaning to a majority of the public, myself included.

Fortunately the local Olympic scandal was basically thrown out of court here in SLC way before this got off the ground. No one could prove anything! The real culprit here is ex mayor Corodini who is also getting royal treatment by the olympics people. I say Poo-tang to her! Go away!

I can bet that there will be a growing scandle from the figure skating thing. There will also be alot of reform in the judging in future games, but you really hit the main point here that an athlete wins by visually un-noticable fractions of a second. To me that makes watching them all very boreing, its all the same. It all looks basically the same on things like downhill, and Luge, etc. Pretty boreing. I will always support the Olympcs but its time for some MAJOR changes.
Mark @ GTS

Bob Maar

- posted 02-14-2002 11:16 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I think you have probably had too many fish dinners. I think the Olympic Games are terrific and they are keeping me right in front of the TV Screen. While it's true that the speed is hard to comprehend while watching certain events, it is exciting waiting for the times to be posted. It 's unbelieveable when the top four spots are less than four 100th of a second apart.

The descrepancy in the skating is clear when watching the replay's on the monitor. I am sure this will be corrected. If this were to be swept under the table I might agree with you. However, at this point in time I will continue the cheer...U-S-A, U-S-A.

I am glad that you told me that you are no longer a baseball fan. I had just promised the White Sox's in Chicago that you would sing the National Anthem on opening day. I have just sent them a registered letter telling them you no longer are a fan.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2002 12:28 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All this goes to show you that the WWF is more honest than the Olympics.

Bob Maar

- posted 02-14-2002 01:01 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles...ya think?

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2002 01:06 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who is shocked or upset or even concerned about this whole skating medal conspiracy makes me laugh. The olympics have been fixed for years, and they will continue to be fixed for years to come. Overlooking drug tests, bribing the comittee to get the games in your city, etc. Who cares. Any event that consideres ballroom dancing a sport is a joke.

p.s. Notice how the only games Americans have excelled in require heavy pot smoking? Congrats snow boarders!

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Bob Maar

- posted 02-14-2002 02:07 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,

I am shocked, upset and concerned about what is going on with the Olympics.

Judging from what you say...you must be in concert with Homer Simpson

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-14-2002 02:21 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously have to take a strong disagreement with some of the crap said about my fair city and our olympics.

First of all, glad to make you laugh so much.

The points about drug tests and bribing are so way off the mark I had to set you straight here.

First of all, here in the 2002 Winter Olympics, we have the most comprehensive drug testing program to date for the olympians. They must be tested upon arrival, and within one hour of EACH EVENT. That means plenty of testing. No drugged or doped athelete will compete period here.

Second, as to the so called BRIBERY scandal. What bribe exactly got the games to OUR CITY as you put it?

In this case, PRIVATE individuals using PRIVATE funds to purchase PRIVATE gifts to be given to other PRIVATE individuals working for other PRIVATE businesses with NO GOVERNMENTAL MONEY OR INFLUENCE, does not constitue BRIBERY. It is the same when lets say I go to a THEATER and give MY MONEY to the THEATER to show ME a MOVIE. Is this bribery? Sure why not?

Lets not forget that Nagano Japan gave more than 500 thousand dollars in actual CASH to get the winter olympics. Lets not forget that this type of cash and gift giving to win over the bid committee has been going on for a century now. Just because Salt Lake was the last one to do it, doesnt mean it was illegal. This has been proven in court. And every time the justice department refiles charges, they always get thrown out, because what was done is NOT ILLEGAL!!!

We did not BUY the games. We only played the game as it has been played for so very very long. We played the game for twenty years before we finally WON THE GAMES as it were. We are the most equipped and prepared city in the world for the games. We are even the largest city to have every hosted the games. Why would you think we would have to buy the games. This has never been proved anyway. How does anyone know that we wouldnt have won the bid anyway?

Suffice it to say, I am fed up with people crapping on Salt Lake with a bunch of nonsense!

As for the games all fixed? Oh come on. get real, in a timed event that doesnt wash at all. The judged ones, well apparently so.

WWF??? Wrestling honest? Give me a break.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: