Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Simplex on "Antiques Roadshow UK"

Author Topic: Simplex on "Antiques Roadshow UK"
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 08:18 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyhow, I was watching the ever popular "Antiques Roadshow UK" on PBS last night.

A lady had a miniture Simplex typewriter circa 1930 appraised @$450.00. It was given as a new gift to her when she was a child. It is a full working miniture typewriter that was meant as a toy...

The appraiser said that it was either made in New York or in the UK.

I wonder how many other items Simplex manufactured...?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 08:55 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it the same Simplex that also made the synchronized wall clocks found in schools and other commercial settings?

------------------
- dave
Look at this! His chin strap has been cut!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2002 09:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a fairly knowledgable Horologist I can definately say that the Simplex clocks and International Projector were in no way connected. Simplex Time is actually still in buisness installing master clock systems in schools and large buildings, although they no longer tick or clunk. Primarily a digital system that is capable of driving and synchronizing many dial clocks in other rooms. They also install PA systems as well these days in an attempt to diversify a bit. I doubt that the typewriter was connected to them. There were many Simplex brands of things back then including a steam driven automobile.

The only things other than theatre equipment that IPC made were a 16mm machine that is quite rare. I've only ever seen one of them but it definately had the IPC name on it.

They also manufactured the very famous Fox Studio Cameras. These were self blimped 35mm studio cameras that were for all practical purposes noisless in operation, and more advanced than any other camera system in use at the time. They did this by developing a new quieter running pull down movement and by mounting it into the camera on a unique shock mount system that was way ahead of its time. The camera did not require a heavy cumbersome blimp as all other cameras, Mitchell BNC for instance, of the era did to be able to shoot lip-sync sound. Unfortunately, today, most of these cameras are no longer usable as the rubber shock mounts have disintegrated or have jellied to the point that proper flange focal depth cannot be maintained. This is one of the most critical adjustments on a pro 35mm film camera.
Mark @ GTS

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 09:27 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Simplex (The International Projector Company) made perhaps the first
magazine-loading 16mm movie camera for amateur use shortly after
the invention of that format. It is rectangular and extremely thin,
covered with attractive art-deco designs, spring-wind motor giving 45 seconds of run, changeable lenses, optical and sports finders, etc.
It could be purchased in a fancy leather travel case that could hold
cosmetics or toiletries. A companion projector was also offered at the time. A friend of mine used the Simplex to film a group of boys traveling from Long Island to California on the back of a flat-bed truck around 1929. These cameras appear at camera shows and on eBay.

In the 1920's a Precision/Simplex catalogue of hand-cranked 35mm
and 16mm cameras, tripods, developing and printing cinema equipment was published, containing a photo of two silent-screen starlets "using" a Simplex/Precision hand-crank 35mm camera given to one by Charlie Chaplin.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2002 09:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gerard, So what you're saying is that the 16mm end of things was probably part of Precision machine??? That was one of the companies ingested into International Projector wasn't it?
Mark @ GTS

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 03:19 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark--
My "Simplex Pockette 16mm Movie Camera" as described above bears a bronze label "Mfd by International Projector Corp New York, NY Pat
Pend" and the PIC (for IPC) logo embossed in a diamond on the side.
My Simplex/Precision catalog has no mention of IPC, and seems to be earlier, since its products are less advanced. When I find my copy of the catalog, I'll be able to give dates. Seems your assumptions
might be correct.
McKeown's Price Guide to Antique and Classic Cameras lists the Simplex Pockette as dating from 1931 (I thought it was earlier),
"First U.S. made 16mm camera using the 'old style' EKC/IPC magazine.
...Later models,c1933 had interchangeable lenses. Anastigmat f3.5
focusing lens." Alan Kattelle, in HOME MOVIES, writes of one of the cameras hyped in my catalog:
"The Alamo, manufactured by the Simplex Products Company of Morris Park, New York,was another small camera [like the Wilart News Camera]
using standard [35mm] film...This camera may have also been known as the 'Simplex'" He doesn't indicate if Simplex/Precision joined or became the IPC. Simplex still cameras made by Zeiss and Ernamann have no connection to the International Projector Company.
--Gerard

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2002 02:22 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
One of my Simplex catalogs shows a 16mm Simplex movie camera. I would have to look it up to see if it was after IPC was started. I thimk it was since 16mm started to take off in the late 20's. I have never seen the 16mm projector though. IPC was formed about 1925 or 26 from Precision Machine (Simplex), Power's and ACME projector.

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: