Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Save The Salford Ambassador Cinema - UK

Author Topic: Save The Salford Ambassador Cinema - UK
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2002 09:51 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about this place or where it is, but of all places, I saw this advertised in a classified ad paper here in Ontario Canada. It's the kind of paper where people list everything from cars to tractors to barbeques:

THE Salford Ambassador Cinema is in jeopardy of demolition, aim to revitalise into a cinema/theatre/cafe or open to other ideas. Please contact The Salford Ambassador Project +UK44161 288 1968.

Anyone know of it?

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-10-2002 10:31 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2000-seat art deco Ambassador Super Cinema opened in 1928. I believe it is the last standing John Knight-designed theater.
http://www.ambassadorproject.homestead.com

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 03:51 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The following is from the latest edition of 'Cinemascope' (slightly edited to correct grammatical errors):

quote:
The sudden de-listing of the 1920s former Ambassador Super Cinema in Salford has sent shockwaves through the Northwest heritage community. The cinema was spot-listed as a Grade II building as recently as October 2000 as part of the Department of Culture, Media and Sport's thematic listing of cinemas.

What is alarming is not only the speed at which the decision was made, but also how it was made. The Ambassador Project, a group of local people who were desparately seeking a benefactor as part of their campaign to revive the cinema's fortunes as a community media and arts centre, feel they have been betrayed by the very organisation they should have been able to trust: English Heritage. For it was a report from English Heritage that resulted in the removal of the Ambassador's Grade II listing.

Their report claimed that the building had been altered too much to justify listing. These alterations are superficial and obviously acceptable in listed buildings. To quote their report, '...the core fabric and its original decoration appears to survive intact, and the later interventions are similar to those made in many cinemas, including listed ones, to facilitate ongoing use.' Listing criteria are nationally determined and the existence of other listed cinemas in England (46 in the Greater London Authority area and only 10 in Greater Manchester), means that the Ambassador was destined to lose out. The role of English Heritage as 'guardians' of our heritage is highly questionable, and removal of Grade II protection leaves the Ambasssador to a very real and imminent threat of demolition. Visit our Website to see what's at stake. www.ambassadorproject.homestead.com or email ambassador_project@hotmail.com

If someone in authority doesn't do something now the Ambassador will be reduced to rubble without a proper debate about any possible future use and retention. The group is desperately seeking a benefactor to raise funds to buy this well-appointed building, which was on the market for £195,000.

Our message to the DCMS - 'Reinstate the Ambassador's Grade II listing NOW before it is too late. Heritage is a non-renewable resource - demolition is forever!'

Note to non-UK readers: 'Listing' is a procedure whereby a historicallty significant building is protected by law from being demolished. A Grade I listed building cannot be altered at all, whilst a Grade II listed building can be altered inside but the external fabric must not be changed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: