Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Help Wanted forum (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Help Wanted forum
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-09-2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I received this suggestion this evening:

I would like to suggest a Help Wanted/Positions Wanted forum, so if anyone is looking for a job or needs people they can look right there - something similar to the For Sale/Wanted forum. This might not be a high traffic forum, but it would make anything easy to find.

What does the majority of the members think about this? Would anyone actually post jobs available on the board? This could also be used in reverse for people seeking positions.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-09-2002 10:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a good idea in the long run

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-09-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure; it can't hurt. I might suggest that it be a "one posting only" thing, like the "for sale" forum.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 11:18 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2002 12:10 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That might mean some circuit people would have to register for the forums. In a lot of cases, that won't happen. One way to do it right would be to have an interactive database. Standard questions like "willing to move" would be part of the intake form.
However, it would be too much work to set something like this up and maintain it unless there was an agency fee to support it.

Still, a simple forum could have limited usefulness as long as people don't start advertising for a buttcandle holder.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-10-2002 12:41 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is a good idea, Brad.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2002 07:57 AM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea.
What do you mean the buttcandle holder position has been filled!?

Dennis

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2002 08:42 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a great idea, too!

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-10-2002 08:51 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is an excellent suggestion. No joke

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-10-2002 08:59 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as an example of such a forum working, the 1570.com site has a "classifieds" section where quite a few jobs available/wanted notices show up. Possibly they have proportionally more management members, but their board is members-only posting like here.
FYI, this is a pretty good site to get some contacts if you're interested in working in the Imax-type large format community. A lot of these systems are in government supported institutions - ie jobs with decent pay, great benefits, and some security!!!

Brad - is there any justification to making an open "help wanted" forum, where non-members can post? You could try that at least and see if it gets abused... with a "no reply" setting like the for sale forum it might be OK and require very little moderation...

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 04:37 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jerry: if you're in a job and are trying to get out of it, then the chances are that you won't want that fact broadcast to your present employer.

A closed database would be difficult and costly to set up, plus there's also the issue of who would have access to it - for example, the personnel department of a big chain could start trawling a database ostensibly because they're looking for staff but in reality to find out if any of their existing employees are trying to jump ship.

But none of that would prevent a 'help wanted' forum which functioned as an online job advert column. In a small industry where very few jobs are publicly advertised it could be very useful for people either wanting to get into the business or make a sideways (or upwards) move. I guess Brad might want to see if this has any legal implications, i.e. make sure he's covered if someone obtained employment through the forum and for whatever reason it went wrong.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 03:08 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would be a good idea, as it's usually difficult to tell when theaters need people- there's been situations where places have needed to find someone to fill a postition ASAP. I'm not sure the bigger companies would use it though, as at one place I was asked if I knew anyone looking for a job but said they did not want it announced here.
I think it would be good for everyone involved though; who would you rather have, someone who reads Film-Tech or someone who doesn't?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-11-2002 04:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here's the deal. I will set up a forum specifically for this. Once everyone sees it online, please mention it to whoever is responsible for hiring at your theater/chain. If there is enough traffic to warrant it, then it will be permanent. If the traffic is very low, then it's not worth maintaining it. We'll run for a month or two before deciding.

Note: managers or district personnel who are responsible for hiring do need to register normally. (Obviously they do not have to participate in the other forums if they do not wish to.) I am going to require that because EVERY board that I've seen on the net that does not hold strict "real names" and is verifiable has trolls on there just to stir up trouble. I also don't want pranksters posting job opportunities for a theater or position that does not exist. When the job has been filled, the manager (or whoever made the post searching for help) can simply "edit" their post to say "job filled".

Also, I am going to make it like the Equipment wanted/for sale forum with the respect that public replies will not be permitted, so those making posts do not have to keep checking back to see if anyone has applied. This way the applications will go straight to where they need to go without being a public thing.

Finally, please do not post your life history resume if you are searching for a job. This is for your own privacy. Post your skills and have a resume already prepared to email once you get a response.

If anyone sees any other rules that would be a good idea to implicate, please post it here.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 04:19 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't fathom why some supposedly "serious" discussion boards allow handles and aliases. People need to be accountable for what they say, and trolls need to be discouraged. Anyway I think your ground rules sound good and I hope the forum works.

------------------
- dave
I want that North American cable deal!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-11-2002 05:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, it's up. Spread the word and hopefully this can turn into a good place for people to find quality employees and employers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: