Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » First Computer Ever (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: First Computer Ever
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2002 09:42 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Computer Tech Support prompted this thread:

TRS-80 Model II
16K memory
Green Screen monitor
Cassette Tape Storage

All this for $800

Upgraded later to 48K memory, 5 1/4 in floppy drive, Text to Speech card. The driver of the card had filtering software in it that would not allow it to cuss. IE: F*** you would be "I can't say that word - you" Workaround: Phonetics ph*** you would be "f*** you"

Later went to the Model 3P (Sewing Machine type case)

Paul.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-07-2002 09:59 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were several computers out (even for home/hobbyist use) long before a "Trash80" came out. I fooled with an Altar (sp) 8080 with a KSR33 teletype in 1978 or so. Used paper tape to store and load programs.

I remember actually being excited about getting the spec's for "The Kansas City Standard."

Knew a guy who made his own TRS80 following just the schematics he got from SAMS. Found several mistakes in the schematics!

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2002 10:09 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First one I ever got was the grandaddy of 'em all, Commodore PET 2001. Had calculator keyboard, on board tape deck and 8k RAM. Still have it up in the loft, and more frighteningly, it still works! Also in my historical computers collection are Sinclair ZX80, ZX81 and ZX Spectrum. My first PC was a 16MHz 80286 machine, with 1Mb RAM and 40Mb HDD, this was in the days when MS Windoze was even more of a joke than it is now. DOS was king! That machine is still tunning, doing sterling service attached to a satellite tv receiver.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2002 10:51 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first was a TRS-80 Color Computer using a normal TV as a monitor. I had 8K of RAM and a tape drive. Can't remember the price but it was probably between $300 and $500 in 1982.

Later, upgraded to 16K of RAM, a floppy drive (5.25-inch), a better keyboard and an $800 daisy-wheel (letter-quality!) printer... all from Radio Shack. The printer still worked when I put it in a box about 10 years ago... and it's still in that box.

So, here's the interesting part. I still have a Model 100 laptop computer from Radio Shack (first introduced in 1983 but I bought it in 1986). It has 32K of RAM, runs on 4 AA batteries and it boots up/shuts down instantly with the flip of a switch. It's the most stable operating system I've ever used and... it still works! And I use it often. I can type 5 pages or so and then, at the end of the day, I plug in into my newest computer, dump the data and, presto! I'm back in business.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-07-2002 11:38 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMSAI 8080, built from a kit, 8KB RAM. I quickly moved on to...

Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1. I chose it over Apple because it could display 64 chars. per line -- the Apple was limited to 40 chars. Subsequently added the Expansion Unit with 32KB additional RAM and floppy drives. Discovering how horribly unreliable the system was, I wrote and sold memory & disk diagnostic software (Z-80 assembly language). Made a nice side income from that for several years and iterations of TRS-80 including the Model III, which was actually not a bad system for its time though at a disadvantage due to being B&W only.

I also bought a Radio Shack Line Printer, $1000. Was actually a Centronics 779. Could only print in upper-case (would be called SHOUTING now). A friend designed a new character-generator chip for it that added lower-case capability, and I sold that upgrade to a lot of users of the printer.

------------------
- dave
Avoid the meadow...

John Schulien
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2002 01:51 PM      Profile for John Schulien   Email John Schulien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first computer was a Bell & Howell black Apple II+ with 48K, two floppy drives (WOW!), and a color monitor (Double WOW!) It was 1981, and I was 14 years old. The first thing I decided was that BASIC sucked, and learned 6502 machine language.

In 1982, having learned basic TTL design from Radio Electronics or Popular Electronics, I forget which, I started studying the schematics that came with the computer. After a fair amount of planning, I went to Radio Shack, purchased a wire-wrap PC board, two 7402 NOR gates, a 7400 series octal latch, a D/A converter, an op-amp chip, and a handful of resistors and capacitors. I used these to build an 8-bit mono sound card. It worked. That was one EASY computer to interface to. Flat-out trivial. I still have the sound card, and it's an ugly mess of solder, missing all of the chips, but it worked!

I never got further then playing sine and square waves, and watching them on the oscilloscope, so I can't really say that I was an early USER of a sound card ...

However, I was certainly one of the earliest OWNERS of a personal computer add-on sound card, and I've always wondered if I was the first. There were a handful of add-on cards available at the time, but I don't remember ever seeing an add-on sound card.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-07-2002 02:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Compaq 486 DX66 running WIN 3.1. NEC multisync 4FGE monitor(great monitor!), HP Laserjet printer which is still used to print checks here at GTS. Some sort of cheapo scanner, single speed external DC rom drive! This stuff was a real as compared to the stuff out there today.
At home I'm now running a dual P-3 1GHZ machine with Win 2000 and way to much external fun hardware connected to it.
MArk @ GTS

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-07-2002 04:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first computer I ever used in my home was a Mac IIci running at 60Mhz or so with 32 Megs o' RAM and nearly 40 MB's of disc space! It could play Quicktimes and had stereo audio. This was about 5 years ago, maybe 6.

The first computer I ever used was an Apple II. It was simply awesome. 720k 5.25" floppies kick ass! Who needs rewritable DVDs anyway??

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-07-2002 05:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I reading this thread wrong, or is everyone poking fun at older computers? I'll have you know that Film-Tech is running off of a Radio Shack TRS80 model III with the full 16K of RAM and cassette tape drive all hooked into an AOL dialup account thank you!!!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-07-2002 05:17 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First computer I ever used: 1973--CDC Chronos II via a WU 76 teletype w/punchtape reader/puncher and accoustic coupler modem. Wrote BASIC programs for use in my high school physics class.

First home computer: 1978--Ohio Scientific Challenger II running OS-DOS. 6502 processor with 20k of RAM. Rack mount B&W monitor that I salvaged from an old TAV production truck. 8" floppy drive, no HD, no sound, no modem.

Upgraded to a "luggable" Kaypro 10. Z80 processor with 10MB HD and 64k RAM. 9" green monitor, 8" floppy, no sound. 9-pin dot matrix printer, bi-directional logic seeking with descenders. Later added a 2400 baud modem. My first "real" computer--could use CalcStar for the checkbook, WordStar for the homework, and DBase II for the pilot logbook!

Finished undergrad on a 386SX running Windows 3.11 at 8MHz. Now using an old 200MHz Pentium MMX box. Planning on building an HTPC when I get back to work.

Cheers!

Paul

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2002 05:42 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my daughter a Texas Instruments 994A computer for $30 at a yard sale, and about a year later at a basement tag sale found two
brand new ones, in unopened boxes for $5 each. Went back for them , thinking they'd make nice birthday gifts for my kid's friends, but they were gone.
Those days kid's magazines had programs children could type in for
the 994A, Commodore, etc., and we used to program them for fun.
The early Commodore had sound, color and programs of popular and classical musical selections long before the biggies offered these at affordable prices.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-07-2002 05:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can vouch for what Brad posted. I have tampered with the Film-Tech servers while he wasn't looking and almost recorded some Johnny Cash over one of the cassettes!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-07-2002 06:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of the Radio Shack people from way back. Bought my parents one of the original TRS80 4k machines when they were new, and then bought myself the TRS80 "color computer" complete with two outboard floppy disk drives. Next was a real PC, a Tandy 1000SX (640K! WOW!) to which I added a giant 40meg hard drive. After that it gets blurry...between day job, theatre and home, I think I've gone through about 6 or 7 PCs since. However I still sell tickets at the theatre using software I wrote in BASIC on my Tandy 1000SX...it runs just fine on Win98.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-07-2002 06:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: For the sake of system integrity, I hope you're using the Radio Shack 300 baud acoustic modem.

If we're talking about the first computer ever used, it was an IBM/360 running APL, timesharing the CPU. The terminals were converted IBM Selectric typewriters. I was in college, physics professor had his students taking tests via the computer center. I was like, whoa, I have to know more about how this works. Learned APL and actually got pretty good at it. APL (which stands for A Programming Language) was amazingly powerful, but is now probably extinct.

------------------
- dave
Avoid the meadow...

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2002 06:27 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sinclair ZX Spectrum

much respect

After that i progress to a BBC Micro (I had a double disc drive and everything )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: