Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » February Film Glut

Author Topic: February Film Glut
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2002 10:01 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three wide releases coming up this Friday, five scheduled for the 15th (President's Weekend) and more thereafter! This coupled with several holdovers that are doing decent business and suddenly we have another booking nightmare similar to late December. Someone's going to get hurt. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

So how are you all handling this latest film glut? (Of course if you have 18 or more screens, no problem.)

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-07-2002 05:12 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This actually is a good thing. With so many choices, the film going public wont have time to investigate if a film is good or not before going. This is why January of this year was the most attended and highest grossing month of all time. 114 MILLION tickets were sold during january.

Proof that people don't know a good movie if it bit em in the ass, and it hasn't yet.

Dave

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2002 10:02 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before Crocodile Dundee, no movie released in October in the U.S. ever grossed more than $100 million. And, before The Hunt For Red October it seemed like March was a wasteland for good movies. I used to get terribly bored and I'd feel guilty selling tickets to anyone who came to our theatre in the months of January, February, March, September and October.

So... I'm happy to see as many new movies as they'll throw at us. There must be a few good ones. Also... it's nice to see an 18-screen theatre actually showing 18 different movies (rather than 6 movies on 3 screens each).

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 03:26 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave and Greg, you guys dont have the pleasure of having 9 prints to biuld up this Thursday and have to find enough people to screen them all, do you?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-08-2002 12:54 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Locally, Cinemark 17 is running 19 different titles, none on more than 1 screen. Kind of rare. The lineup & number of daily shows is:

Big Fat Liar, 5
Monster's Ball, 4
Collateral Damage, 4
Rollerball, 4
Slackers, 3
Birthday Girl, 2
Black Hawk Down, 4
Count of Monte Cristo, 4
Lord of the Rings, 3
A Beautiful Mind, 4
Brotherhood of the Wolf, 4
I Am Sam, 4
In The Bedroom, 4
Kung Pow: Enter The Fist, 3
Mothman Prophecies, 4
Orange County, 2
Royal Tenenbaums, 4
Snow Dogs, 5
A Walk To Remember, 5

------------------
- dave
Avoid the meadow...

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-09-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I don't have the pleasure. I WAS FIRED DUDE!

But I have had similar experiences. You just deal with it. Hey, without the massive changeover and choices, we could all be out of a job! People just don't have very long attention spans anymore, so we need as much changeover as possible to survive.

I sympathise, but its the job. You either love it or hate it, all of it, no matter how crappy it gets. Its like air, you need it to breath. Once its in you, its there to stay.

We are a strange breed, worse than the post office. We never get a day off.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: