Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is your booth the color of the Universe?

Author Topic: Is your booth the color of the Universe?
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 05:04 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SCIENTISTS PAINT UNIVERSE AS A VAST SEA OF GREEN
(Headline in the NY Times by John Noble Wilford, Jan. 11, 2002)

"Astronomers conclude that the universe has color, and that if it were possible to see the universe as a whole, from afar,it would appear pale green; astronomers mixed varied hues in visible light of 200,000 galaxies on their palettes; announce results at meeting of American Astronomical Society" -ABSTRACT

Verde que te quiero verde.
Verde viento. Verdes ramas.
El barco sobre la mar
y el caballo en la montana.
Con la sombra en la cintura
ella suena en su baranda,
verde carne, pelo verde,
con ojos de fria plata.
Bajo la luna gitana,
las cosas la estan mirando
y ella no puede mirarlas.
Grandes estrellas de escarcha
vienen con el pez de sombra
que abre el camino del alba.
La higuera frota su viento
con la lija de sus ramas,
y el monte, gato garduno
eriza sus pitas agrias.
Pero ?quien vendra? ?Y por donde?
Ella sigue en su baranda,
verde carne, pelo verde,
sonando en la mar amarga...
--ROMANCE SONAMBULO (fragment) by Federico Garcia Lorca

|  IP: Logged

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 05:50 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First comment: The Universe is full of black matter. It doesn't allow us to see all the entire colors.
Second comment: I like to read those fragments from García Lorca. Do you speak spanish? I just want to know.
Is a pleasure to read about astronomy (I'm an amateur astronomer).Thanks.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-27-2002 06:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bathroom at the new building is about that color! Does that signify something? Should I expect to see stars in ther if I turn off the lights. As for Black Holes.... Well,I won't even go there......
Mark @ GTS
www.getgts.com
mark@getgts.com

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 06:38 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I studied Spanish in school and learned to love Spanish poetry written
in simple language like Lorca's. But I cannot speak conversational
Spanish, though I have to try. You see, I help my wife in her Pediatric medical office, and many of our patients and especially their parents come from Mexico, Columbia, Equador and other Spanish-speaking countries. When I speak to them or answer the telephone,
I often have to speak the little Spanish I remember. My wife is better at it. Although she never read literature in Spanish, she
quickly picked up medical Spanish working with her patients. She had
another romance language as her first, so her rhythms are better than mine.
I really appreciate how you and others are able to communicate so well in English even though it probably isn't your first language.
(I couldn't post on a Spanish website in Spanish--not yet, anyway!)
I'd like to see more languages on this website, and book reviews--
especially of books about cinema--and poetry.
BTW--There are several Lorca websites devoted to Lorca that contain
some of his poems in Spanish and in English, as well as the story of his brief life. Any search engine will take you there.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 08:17 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been learning english while I've been chating with people from differents places like USA, Canada, Thailand, Japan and Phillipines (I've never studied english in any school). English is the universal language because it's easy (spanish use a lot of words, I think TOO much, english is easier and short to write a phrase). Also most of web pages is in english, especially sites about cinema and I'm trying to make a site in spanish about "film done right". I would like to know more about cinema english terms.ei:

English Spanish
-Brain Mecanismo de entrega
-Make up table Bobinadora de mesa
-Roller Rodillo

Hasta la proxima Gerard.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 09:22 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
German,
Here are some film terms from the American Cinematographer Manual
(First Edition, 1960) Many are obvious, and others may be old-fashioned by now, but I can't locate my more recent editions right now.

ENGLISH........................SPANISH
------------------------------------------------------------------
film cans......................latas
cores..........................nucleos
filmbase.......................soporte
perforations...................perforaciones
footage numbers................numeros marginales
frame..........................fotograma
frameline......................division de fotograma
image..........................imagen
leader stock...................pelicula leader
motion picture film............pelicula cinematograica
optical printing...............copia optica
release print..................copia de explotacion
rolls..........................rollos
sound effects..................efectos de sonido
spools.........................bobinas (carretes)
winding........................enrollamiento
lenses.........................objectivos
idle rollers...................rodillos locos
loop...........................bucle
magazines......................chassis (magazines)
mattes.........................caches
shutter........................obturador
sprocket.......................rodilla detenado
drive sprocket.................rodillo de arriba
feed sprocket..................rodillo de alimentacion (ha-ha!)
arc lamp.......................lampara de arco
condenser (optical)............lente (consensador)
light meter....................fotometro
mirror.........................espejo
socket.........................zocalo
amplifier......................amplificador
dubbing........................doblaje
magnetic.......................magnetico
power supply...................fuente de poder
stereophonic...................estereofonica
rewinder.......................enrolladora
splicer........................maquina de enpalma (empalmadora)
reels..........................carretales
leaders........................colas
mag striping...................banda magnetica
titles.........................titulos
main titles....................titulos de presentacion
special effects................efectos especiales
subtitles......................titulos sobre impresos
projection room................sala de projeccion
splicing and blooping..........pegadoras y bloques
trailers.......................colas de propaganda

Some of these terms may vary from country to country or be replaced
by more modern or slang terms. And I'm not able to type the Spanish
punctuation and diacritical marks unless I learn to convert my keyboard and remember which keys are which marks. If I can find a more modern, theatrical-projection based list, I'll add to this one.
Gerard

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-27-2002 10:30 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Berman, the director of the Overlook Observatory in Woodstock, NY; author of the "Night Watchman" column in Discover magazine and author of Secrets of the Night Sky (Published by William Morrow Company, New York) would beg to differ with that.

In his book he states that the most popular element in the universe is hydrogen. When its electron is excited to the next higher orbit and returns to its ground state it emits a photon with a wavelength of 6,563 angstroms. (Red)
He also states that the eye is preferentially sensitive to green light at low levels, thus creating the illusion that this is a ubiquitous color in the universe. Furthermore, a lot of the wavelengths emitted in the universe are in the UV part of the spectrum (and other parts of the spectrum) that the eye can't see.

There is a lot of conjecture as to the most popular color of the universe because it's likely to be impossible to tell for sure, but since hydrogen is the most popular element and since the color that it emits (that the eye can see -- it also emits wavelengths in the UV part of the spectrum) is red I would believe Mr. Berman when he says that the most popular color is that of a deep-red rose.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 11:38 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thank you very much Gerard.
Bob Berman also is author of "Strange Universe" column in "Astronomy magazine" (I buy it every months)

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2002 12:57 AM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard: Do you know the spanish term for "trap and gate"?
-------------------
We just can see a little part of the wavelenght. Randy says that hydrogen is the most popular element in the universe and the deep-red rose is the color of the universe. I'm 100% agree with you but i'm thinking few things about temperature: the hotter stars are white; then they go blue toward red side of spectrum. So, can the temperature of the universe change these colors?
It's curious that the Earth's atmosphere sends out the red light and let us see the blue.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2002 09:35 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
German,
I haven't found "trap and gate" in their projection meanings, but in my old Velazquez dictionary:

ENGLISH .............SPANISH
-------------------------------------------------------------------
gate...............puerta, barrera, talanquera, puerta de cercado,
...................via, camino
trap...............trampa, cepo, armadijo garlito, red, lazo

Here are some terms for camera parts that may possibly apply to projectors:

aperture plate......ventanilla
guide rollers.......rodillos de guia
pressure plate......compresor

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2002 04:29 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Gerard. We used to say "ventanillo" but the other one don't know how to call it. Sometimes I called "pisador" but I often to say "trap".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: