Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » You people are scaring me

Author Topic: You people are scaring me
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-18-2002 02:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this crazy idealized vision of working in a booth in a good theatre and tweaking every show to be as good as possible and treating film with care and respect. Loving the job and doing it not for the money but for the love of film done right. Then I read these posts about crazy whacked-out "managers" (local and corporate), politics, pecking order, no money for proper maintenance, etc. and it totally blows the whole fantasy. Bah.

Thus proving this business & career field is probably like most others in life.

------------------
- dave
Crab juice, or Mountain Dew?

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2002 03:03 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it isn't as bad as all that most of the time. I must disagree with you and say that the industry is like no other, in that it is surprisingly small and tight knit, caters to creative people who live at odd hours, and still has more traces of glamour and importance than any other industry.

I think the split that becomes obvious after reading a few posts is that proper presentation takes increasing amounts of technical skill and knowledge and there are some circuits hiring people with decreasing amounts of skill and knowledge.

Those of us that have been around for a while know that there is a big difference in figuring out what is wrong in a monoaural 6LC push-pull amp and an intermittent problem with the digital sound systems of today. The few circuits who hire good people, don't overwork and underpay them, and set certain standards understand this and given decent locations and product will prosper.

Ultimately, the entire industry is based on perception. If the audience perceives a well run theatre and great presentation, then for most purposes, it is. Many circuits are at the point where penny pinching has crossed the line, and their presentation suffers. Others do a great job spending nearly similar amounts. Often the ones doing the very best job are the smaller circuits that are more in touch with the reality of motion picture exhibition, and less in touch with investment bankers.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2002 03:11 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave
The only way to do what you're saying, is to own your own theater. Like, in your basement, or if you have tons of dough, somewhere else.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 01-18-2002 11:41 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Not all of us managers are as bad as it looks. Most of us care about film presentation and our customers above all else. It's just that people don't very often post praise about their managers. Projectionists aren't the only one's in the business that do not get credit for all they do.

-Rach

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-19-2002 10:39 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean to paint all managers etc. with the same brush. And if I were serious about making a career change into this business, my decision wouldn't be influenced by a wild story I read here. Actually I've been extremely lucky in all my working life -- never have been in a truly awful work situation. Mostly actually very good in fact -- enjoyed my work and the people I worked with. That story about the guy getting fired for "no reason" is kind of scary though. In Oregon, I think if you are employed "at will", either party (employer or employee) may end the work relationship at any time, without giving a reason...

Reason I'm even tossing this issue around at all is I am currently unemployed, but in a decent enough financial situation that I could make a change to something like this and get by. Would be a case of "I'm not going to my grave without having tried doing this one thing I was REALLY interested in".

------------------
- dave
Crab juice, or Mountain Dew?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: