Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What will the Oscar nominations be this year? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What will the Oscar nominations be this year?
Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 10:18 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody have any thoughts as to what they think Best Picture Oscar nominations will be this year? What film will get the most nominations? Maybe Beautiful Mind and Lord of the Rings this year? Others?

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 10:27 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AFI awards were an incredible dud, but LOTR, Moulin, Bedroom, Mulhoulland (sp?), and Shrek seemed to be the leaders.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-06-2002 10:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is the following will be nominated for Best Picture:

Lord Of The Rings
Moulin Rouge (which I hope wins)
A Beautiful Mind
Memento

-Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2002 11:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If A Beautiful Mind gets nominated, I fully expect Freddy Got Fingered to be on that list too. They were both equally un-entertaining, but we all know how the Academy just LOVES movies about people with various handicapps.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-06-2002 11:13 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What *will* get nominated or what *should* get nominated? I stopped caring after Braveheart got Best Picture.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 01-07-2002 05:36 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wishlist for the following to be nominated:

Moulin Rouge (which I hope wins too Aaron!)
Lord Of The Rings
In the Bedroom
Memento

But who knows with these guys!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-07-2002 06:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by critical hype in combination with the Academy's need to at least throw a bone to the popular films, I think the Best Picture nominees will be:

"In the Bedroom"
"The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring"
"Mulholland Falls"
"A Beautiful Mind"
"Moulin Rouge"

If "LOTR" is not nominated, I think "Harry Potter" or "Shrek" will take its place as the money making nominee. Overall, the whole thing is just a crap shoot. Some other films might pop in there like "Memento" or "Black Hawk Down" but I think the five I mentioned are the odds on favorites.

I can't really say I am all that enthused about a lot of these films. I mean, I've seen some good movie this year, but none that really had me leaving the theater feeling like I had seen a GREAT film.

I would like to see Renée Zellweger at least get a Best Actress nomination for "Bridget Jones' Diary." And Ian McKellan's portrayal of Gandalf the Grey in LOTR is worthy of a Best Supporting Actor nod. His performance is one of the things that really made the film work.

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2002 02:55 PM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Picture Sure-Thing Nominees:
A Beautiful Mind
In the Bedroom

Very Likely:
Lord of the Rings
Moulin Rouge
Amelie

Underdogs:
Ocean's Eleven (I expect this to be the Chocolat of the year...aka...a "are you for real?" type of nominee)
Memento
The Shipping News
A.I.
Mulholland Drive
Black Hawk Down

Best Actor
**Sean Penn - I Am Sam
Russell Crowe - A Beautiful Mind
Gene Hackman - The Royal Tenenbaums
Tom Wilkinson - In the Bedroom
Billy Bob Thornton - The Man Who Wasn't There

Best Actress
**Sissy Spacek - In the Bedroom
Tilda Swinton - The Deep End
Nicole Kidman - The Others
Jennifer Connelly - A Beautiful Mind
Halle Berry - Monster's Ball
(Also likely: Audrey Tatou - Amelie, Renee Zellwegger - Bridget Jones's Diary)

Best Director
Ron Howard - A Beautiful Mind
Todd Field - In the Bedroom
Peter Jackson - Lord of the Rings
Baz Luhrmann - Moulin Rouge
Christopher Nolan - Memento

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2002 01:38 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my predictions:

BEST PICTURE
The Lord Of The Rings
A Beautiful Mind
Moulin Rouge
The Shipping News
Memento

BEST ACTOR
Guy Pierce - Memento
Russell Crowe - A Beautiful Mind
Denzel Washington - Training Day
Billy Bob Thornton - The Man Who Wasn't There
Tom Wilkinson - In The Bedroom

BEST ACTRESS
Sissy Spacek - In The Bedroom
Halle Berry - Monster's Ball
Judi Dench - Iris
Nicole Kidman - Moulin Rouge
Naomi Watts - Mulholland Drive

BEST DIRECTOR
Peter Jackson - The Lord Of The Rings
Ron Howard - A Beautiful Mind
Robert Altman - Gosford Park
Baz Luhrman - Moulin Rouge
David Lynch - Mulholland Drive

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2002 10:33 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At ShoWest last spring Miramax was correctly accused of buying Oscar nominations. If these predictions come true a chant will ring out: "FIXED! FIXED! FIXED!"

Bridget Jones's Diary? American playing a Brit.

The Others? Its star went through a messy divorce. Not to mention the domestic B.O. was less than Legally Blonde (whose star deserves an Oscar).

Amelie? Miramax refused to expand it beyond 250 screens. Expect this French film to fall out of the US top 20 this weekend or next.

In the Bedroom? Trumped by The Royal Tenenbaums -- both on the "Oscar Bait" opening and the national rollout. The Royal Tenenbaums was #5 last weekend. Where was In the Bedroom? #17?

The Lord of the Rings? Miramax's 2 biggest bigshots got their names attached as executive producers to a picture they put into turnaround. No other studio tolerates such crap.

The Shipping News? Had its "Oscar Bait" opening opposite Gosford Park and got goosed. Goes national opposite Black Hawk Down and is gonna get shot down.

Iris? Don't expect this "Snob Film" to make it out of the arthouse ghetto.

As for what some of the others want . . .

Memento? Came out too early in the year.

A.I.? Flopped bigtime. Not even getting an "Oscar Bait" re-release in NYC.

A Beautiful Mind? Plays fast and loose with the facts.

I Am Sam? Play a retard, win an Oscar -- thus bad reviews and poor box office. Goes national one week after Black Hawk Down.

Monster's Ball? Bad reviews, middling box office. National break is opposite Collateral Damage and Rollerball on only 500 screens.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-13-2002 09:16 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned "Glitter" or "On the Line" as possible candidates for Best Picture this year.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-13-2002 11:42 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to mention "Glitter" and "On The Line" for best picture.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-13-2002 02:32 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I second the nominations. Don't forget See Spot Run, too.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-13-2002 02:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't give Glitter or On the Line best picture. However Lance Bass with his dorky frozen expression and Mariah Carey because...well she's Mariah Carey should absolutely win for best actor and actress.

The best picture should of course go to Freddy Got Fingered.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2002 04:56 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's easy for me to pick 'em:

Exclude all Miramax and Miramax-related product. Lock out all Jerry Bruckheimer Productions. Go based on what I've seen over the past 12 months -- not on any groupthink or box office $.

PICTURE: Waking Life, Spy Game, The Royal Tenenbaums, Gosford Park, The Fast and the Furious

DIRECTOR: Robert Altman (Gosford Park), Wes Anderson (The Royal Tenenbaums), Richard Linklater (Waking Life), Lukas Moodysson (Together), Tony Scott (Spy Game)

ACTOR: Vin Diesel (The Fast and the Furious) , Gene Hackman (The Royal Tenenbaums), Robert Redford (Spy Game), Billy Bob Thornton (The Man Who Wasn't There), Denzel Washington (Training Day)

ACTRESS: Anne Hathaway (The Princess Diaries), Anjelica Huston (The Royal Tenenbaums), Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Anniversary Party), Tilda Swinton (The Deep End), Reese Witherspoon (Legally Blonde)

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Meat Loaf Aday (Focus), Alan Bates (Gosford Park), Peter Falk (Made), Danny Glover (The Royal Tenenbaums), Jeremy Northam (Gosford Park)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Julie Andrews (The Princess Diaries), Scarlett Johansson (The Man Who Wasn't There), Helen Mirren (Gosford Park), Charlotte Rampling (Spy Game), Maggie Smith (Gosford Park)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: