Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bigscreenbiz down? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bigscreenbiz down?
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 01:01 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the past two days I have been unable to access bigscreenbiz.com Anyone else having problems?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-06-2002 02:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup I haven't been able to acess it either

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2002 04:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Their site is up and running. There was a post made yesterday as well as today. Scott could probably explain the technicalities of why some people cannot connect, but it does connect here.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-06-2002 05:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to be a DNS issue. I get a "server cannot be found" error. Perhaps they switched DNS's for some reason and not everybody has updated yet. Though I will fully admit to having more DNS issues when using the Mac than using Windows 2000 on the very same internet connection going through the same router. What da hell?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just tried again and still nothing.....server can't be found.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 06:13 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam Spade couldn't find it either. I think DNS issues usually resolve over a single day. I had something like this happen to my site and the site provider gave me temporary use of a fixed numerical address so that customers could reach it until the situation resolved.

Brad, any chance your Browser has a local lookup table showing a numerical address?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-06-2002 06:50 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get to it by IP address: http://209.222.105.86/

It looks like someone didn't pay the domain registration renewal fee. The "bigscreenbiz.com" domain name expired last October and it appears that it has finally been taken out of the root nameservers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2002 09:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they use the ubb forum software too and once the DNS expires completely, no one will be able to post or even view their forum. The entire thing will crash.

I emailed the webmaster about it in case he is unaware of the problem. Hopefully since I am still able to access the website my mail will make it through.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 09:23 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never found that site to be very helpful. It seems like the same 20 people are the only ones to post anything in their forum section. Plus, I've noticed that little "know it all kid" seems to hang there a lot. You know, the one that used to post here, and was booted off (I think?). Anyway, this site is most helpful.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 09:27 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used the http://209.222.105.86/ address to get into the home page and then went into the topics page, but couldn't get into the actual postings.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-06-2002 09:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To make the forum work, add a line to your "hosts file" (see below) containing the IP address (209.222.105.86), a tab, and then "www.bigscreenbiz.com".

On Windows NT and 2000, the hosts file is C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts; on Unix, it's /etc/hosts. I'm not sure about Win9x or Mac (though OS X probably uses /etc/hosts).

By doing this, you are essentially overriding DNS with your own hostname to IP address mapping. I wouldn't suggest leaving this line in once the DNS situation is fixed, as it will cause problems if the owner ever changes the IP address of the web server.

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 10:07 PM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Win9x the hosts file is in C:\Windows.

Steven Gorsky

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2002 06:41 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of 4:30pm pacific today, it looks like it's down again.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-22-2002 06:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just tried it through Netscape. Connection timed out. Just tried it on MSIE 6.0, same thing. Using DSL on this machine.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-22-2002 07:10 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.bigscreenbiz.com resolves to 63.166.111.125 (for me). If I try a tracert to www.bigscreenbiz.com, the last hop is grounds.midcoast.com, which appears to be an Apache web server, but not fully configured. They might be in the middle of moving the web site to a new server or something. Looks like the bigscreen.com domain name registration was updated on Jan 10th.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: