Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Netscape Vs. MSIE

Author Topic: Netscape Vs. MSIE
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-21-2001 03:41 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm. I installed Netscape 6.2 in this HOS, and even though a file could not be found upon installation, Netscape seems to be much faster than MSIE. I use two monitors on this machine, so now I can use both Netscape and MSIE 6.0. Both seem to get along quite nicely with each other.

I tried Netscape 6.X some time ago, but it hogged the computer so much that I didn't like it and un-installed it. Maybe it was a bad installation, or I didn't know what I was doing when it asked me stupid questions and I gave it stupid answers.

Anyone know of glitches i should know about when I use Netscape?

Paul.

|  IP: Logged

David Scholmz
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2001 02:34 AM      Profile for David Scholmz   Email David Scholmz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Netscape is very bad on somewebsites...the company I work for has a terrible time getting netscape to work on the site. IE works the best. Even IE has some bugs but not as many as Netscape

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-22-2001 03:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's what happens when foolish people use crap html programs like "Dreamweaver". They end up with bad html code and only IE can display it. Isn't the whole purpose of the internet to have a worldwide standard? I laugh at those webmasters, for they are randomly preventing people from viewing their site.

David Scholmz
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2001 11:43 AM      Profile for David Scholmz   Email David Scholmz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol dreamweaver haha..yea i suppose so. but some people are still running netscape 4.*'s...and those are ooold...but dreamweaver.yea you can run into some probs
:-)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-22-2001 01:21 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!! The more I fiddle with Netscape, the more I seem to like it. Hasn't crashed yet. But wait - just like the weather up here in Washington State, It'll change...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-22-2001 01:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opera is the only 100% html compliant browser out there

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2001 03:01 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried Opera, but it will not let me use film-tech. I get the "no bookmarking allowed" every time I try to get into the forums. There must be some seetting I need to change. IE and Mozilla work fine, though.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-22-2001 05:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Opera not send the proper HTTP_REFERRER header with each page request? That would cause the "no bookmarking allowed" error that Evans was seeing. Perhaps it is a configuration option...

As for me, I'm posting this with the Lynx text-mode browser: http://lynx.browser.org/ It's great for getting information quickly, runs on just about every platform, and is free with source code.

Other interesting browsers to check out are Amaya (http://www.w3.org/) and Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org/).

For humor value, I recently installed Internet Explorer for Solaris. The damn thing actually worked for about 90 seconds before it started giving its "special" 404 not found error to requests for known-good pages. Weird.

Normally, I just stick with NS 4.79 and Lynx 2.8.3, though. I regularly work with six operating systems (WinNT, Win2k, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD) and two architectures (Intel, Sparc) and these two browsers run on all of them and are reasonably stable.

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2001 07:57 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opera 5 with javascript on does give a no bookmarking error, just turn it off. If your platform is hammered out for Opera 6 then everything will work fine.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-22-2001 08:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Amaya is the only truly "100% HTML compliant" web browser. Netscape 4.7x is much better than 6.x in my opinion, unless Netscape 6 has made radical improvements (I haven't used it for awhile). For Java, NOTHING beats Netscape, NOTHING. There are times when java applets do not load in IE and even some javascript gets messed up by IE. I'm not much of a Java fan and wish it would go away, though... especially the applets, they are annoying, slow things down and are usually quite large in file size.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2001 11:06 AM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem using Opera 6. to view film-tech.
I am ready to convert from Netscape 4.7 (6.x doesn't do it for me)
if I can figure out a way to organize my bookmarks the way I want them and keep them that way.

I will stick with the Netscape 4.7 email.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2001 11:31 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
iCab works. I've even made it my default browser.

iCab even uses smilies on the toolbar to indicate if the web page conforms to HTML specifications. Most web pages do not conform.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: