Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What do you do in an empty auditorium?

Author Topic: What do you do in an empty auditorium?
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2001 06:24 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This question relates to if you find yourself watcking a movie any you are the only person there. I know this question is a bit surreal.

Is there anything um strange you like to do. I usually do two things.

1. Laugh really loudly and hysterically at the adverts (here in the uk alot of the adverts are supposed to be funny and their are for maybee the first vieving, after about 30 times they get stale)

2. Change seats sevaral times during the show. I like to try the front and back rows and some inbetween. Also experimenting with wheather to sit in the middle or to the left or right.

(i have done this at an early show in the largest auditorium at a local multiplex before.)

|  IP: Logged

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2001 01:51 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would usually shout back at the screen if it was a dumb movie like "Pearl Harbore". One of the first movies I watched in an empty theater was "Man of the House" with Chevy Chase and Jonathan Taylor Thomas, and I was shouting out stuff like "Get the kid a shrink!"

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-16-2001 05:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do I do in an empty auditorium? Watching a movie alone in an empty auditorium can be a little weird and uneasy, particularly if the movie is depressing. I saw "Leaving Las Vegas" like this and feared the work crews finding me slumped in my seat with my wrists slit. Lucky for them I left my Leatherman tool in my car. Hehe.

Really, if I am alone in the theater, I'll occasionally take quick wide-eyed looks back behind me. That's not just to make sure I'm alone. Maybe I want to startle someone who just sneaked into the feature. But really I want to make sure no one is sneaking up behind me to do something like hit me on the head with a mallet. Like I said, it is an uneasy experience.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2001 05:26 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a very weird experience being the only one in the theatre. ANIMAL CRACKERS had been rereleased. This is a Marx Brothers film that had been tied up with some legal problems and had not been available for sometime.

In that movie, there are a number of times that Groucho talks directly to the audience. It felt like he was talking just to me. It was very tempting to answer back! It was a very strange feeling.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-16-2001 06:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I am in the auditorium, then it is not empty. If I stumble across an empty auditorium, I either do nothing or turn the lamp off and motor/speed wind it the rest of the way through if it is the last show of the day.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-16-2001 09:04 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, I'll do a Dolby level loop test, or shut off the lamp and try to clean all the dust out of the lamphouse.

Of course, sometimes I do nothing, grateful for less work!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-16-2001 11:10 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally speaking, I don't start a movie unless someone is in there to watch it. I'll hold the start for up to 10 minutes or when the first ticket is sold, whichever happens first unless it clashes with the next show in that particular house. For the last run, we'll hold until the doors close, and just cancel it.

You would be surprised how gracious people are if you hold the show for them, especially if they are the only one in there watching it.

If a schedule clash could occur, I'll start it on time anyway with the idea that some doofus will probably buy a ticket. If no tickets are sold, I'll just shut it down and motor it out. It gives me time to sweep the glass out of the lamphouse from an exploding Q-Arc Xenon bulb.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2001 09:19 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love those rare times when I am the only one watching a film. That is the greatest. The only "strange" thing I have ever done in that situation is make a phone call during a boring trailer. I know, pretty crazy.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2001 01:51 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
since my theatre has the tiny, old school seats and sloping floor i will sometimes stretch out in the middle isle and take a nice snoozy nap.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2001 04:23 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes enjoy being the only person in an auditorium. Since I sometimes go to weeknight showings, it happens more frequently than I expect. The last time it happened was at "Monsters, Inc." at the Carmike 10. I had auditorium 6 (a 42 foot wide THX auditorium) all to myself. A Staff member came in and watched part of the movie for about 20 minutes, and the rest of the time, I had it to myself. The sound was great and since I was looking for details, since it was my second viewing of this movie, it was nice to have no audience distractions. The first Monsters, Inc. I attended had a bunch of children making constant noise and people standing up in front of me the entire show. I missed some parts of the dialogue and some scenes because of the noise and standing people.

Typically, for a comedy, I like a large crowd. Hearing the crowd react adds fun to the movie. For a movie that requires paying attention, I prefer a small crowd or being alone.

When alone in an auditorium, I usually don't do anything strange, since I figure someone could be watching, especially since so many theatre staff members at the theatres know what I'm doing on my WWW site.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2001 08:21 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I am uneasy about being in an auditorium alone is when I am watching a scary movie. I'll turn around every few minutes, especially after the scary parts and make sure there isn't an axe-wielding maniac behind me. No matter how many times I check, I am still ansy.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 02:22 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran "Baraka" in Todd-AO 70mm for my wife on a Sunday morning 8 AM at the 1102 seater Imperial here in Copenhagen. She enjoyed being totally alone with that film.

------------------
Cheers, Thomas
..in70mm - The 70mm Newsletter

www.in70mm.com www.dp70.com www.70mm.dk www.hauerslev.com http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 02:46 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I am at a staff screening or alone in the auditorium, I like to stand up for while during the film.

David Scholmz
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2001 02:39 AM      Profile for David Scholmz   Email David Scholmz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find watching a movie alone in a big theatre being very erotic...unless its a disney flick.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2001 09:56 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
alone?
erotic?

never mind...i posted this response with this being the first post of his i read....before reading his other posts and knowing hes full of it and hes been banned.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: