Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Seasons Greeting from Robert Sprague (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Seasons Greeting from Robert Sprague
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-16-2001 12:59 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recieved this in the mail today from Mr. Sprague and thought I would pass it along to you guys

Image is too large to fit on forum page. Click here to view.

Merry Christmas and a New Year!

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2001 12:14 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Now that's a REAL projection booth!

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2001 02:07 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW ! is that a foot activated change over?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-16-2001 02:51 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - but I only see one foot pedal.

I wonder if Mr. Sprague oiled the mouse.....so it doesn't squeak

Paul

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-16-2001 03:41 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, many theatres had foot switch changeovers. I have them in my booth, but they quit working and is now accomplished by a box on the wall, which performs the audio and picture xover with one button.

Josh

P.S. The other pedal is hidden behind the second projectors magazine. you can see the BX cable coming out of the wall.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-16-2001 04:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least in the booths that I'm familiar with, foot pedals are quite common, though I've only worked in one place with separate controls for picture and sound changeover.

The booth in the sketch looks like it would be fun to work in, although it really needs a better rewind bench. And what's up with the "no smoking when showing nitrate film" sign? I thought that smoking has always been illegal in projection booths regardless of the base material of the film being shown...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-16-2001 06:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What booth would be showing nitrate film in the first place? Where is the Christie platter? If the door must be kept closed, how do you ever leave? Who is Robert Sprague?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-16-2001 06:35 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I preferred the foot changeover for the picture, and hand-changeover for the sound. Out here in Washington State, about 25% of the booths I have been in were foot picture changeovers. The rest were buttons operated separately by hand.

Depending who built the operator's console, some of the hand operated sound and picture change-overs were a real pain, especially those styles that required the use of both hands. Others, it was real organized. Picture and sound changeover could be operated by one button and one switch by the use of one hand only. Those were cool.

As I think about it, now I remember how I got into the habit of hanging on to the hand douser lever on the Enarc, Peerless, and other carbon lamps.

It was a method I used to maintain my balance while I was searching the floor with my foot to find the changeover foot pedal I just booted somewhere with my club foot.

Paul

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2001 07:53 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ernemann IX had a single switch exciter Lamp change over on both projectors ,which changed the sound and light from one to the other , not bad for such an old projector.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2001 08:50 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, look at the date on the calender on the left wall.
Booths in 1968 generally had an escape to the roof. often
an iron ladder. Fire regs required the power source
(generator, rectifiers) be in a separate room (often on the floor
above) and rewind mechanisms also beyond a fireproof wall,
as were the auditoriun rheostat dimmers (huge round disks with long wooden handles like those backstage in legit theaters.) Since the
viewer here has his back to the fourth wall, maybe that's where
the non-synch equipment would be. Not shown is the projectionist's chair--usually a beat-up monstrosity rescued from manager's office,
the street, or an old auditorium seat. Also we used to remove a screw
from the lamphouse so a beam of light would hit the ceiling, where
// lines on tape would indicate the optimum carbon trim. That made
it visible from anywhere in the booth. The floor changeover was said to be the invention of an IATSE projectionist of old. Once I had an
unexpected visit from a protege showing off his new girlfriend, who
in high spirits flung her leather slouch bag on the floor, hitting
the changeover and shutting off picture and sound. After that I was more careful about admitting visitors...For more on Robert Sprague, read Josh's Brenkert thread that's dormant now...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-16-2001 08:54 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you bought the standard Cinemecanna package in the 1960's (before even them thar new-fangled Dolby processors) there was a microswitch inside the zipper c/o. So pressing one button made the c/o's work, which in turn controlled relays, diong the sound also.

For cheap, it was hard to beat the RCA MI-blahblah sound c/o which was one switch mounted on the wall. A long steel rod (with levers) passed in front of both projectors.

For sexy-fancy, I still don't think anything beat the Ampex system you got with a D150 installation.

Wow, Gerard, our chair also came from the manager's office, and we did have a spot on the wall to check the arc. I'm begining to feel like the old guy who trained me... except I'm not that good..!

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2001 09:07 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just rebuilt a pair of foot pedals and zippers. Man, they'd almost snap yer finger off the way they are now. If you can't find pedals anymore, try a supermarket equipment supply. Most of the check stand belts were operated by them...

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-16-2001 09:42 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some pics of the "rod-type" sound changeover that John describes. The first one shows the optical preamp with the c/o lever (top) and gain control (round thing underneath it). The rod extends in front of the second projector, as shown in the second picture. Thus, the operator can control c/o and volume from either machine.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-16-2001 10:46 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Booth chairs? Well, the one I used was my grandmother's. That thing was so ugly I never had to worry about anyone needing it worse than I did. It was comfortable, though.

Remove a screw from a carbon arc lamp so I could project the trim image on the ceiling? You bet! I had mine positioned so I could see the carbon trim from the sitting position of the commode.

So, if you have to trim the carbon, you simply walked with your knees bent to 90 degrees, trim your smushed arc, and then walk back the same way.

Scott, smoking in a booth sometimes is the only way you can keep your sanity...or at least part of it. Especially when you are locked in that hot, sweaty smelly tin box for a 12 hour shift day after day..

Ah, the good old days....Josh, you'll never know what you missed in those days....And if you did, you'll probably say, "No, Thank you".

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-16-2001 11:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Ontario smoking was not legal in booths nor was the projectionist being out of the booth. A friend of mine was leaning out the outside booth window when the inspector came by and saw him
He told him he was suspending his license for smoking in the booth to which he replied because he was hanging out the window he wasn't smoking in the booth and as such couldn't loose his license for 30 days so the inspector took it for 3 months for not being in the booth

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: