Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What happened to the "Quote" button? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What happened to the "Quote" button?
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2001 10:24 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just started using Netscape 6.2 and I can't find the "Quote" button when replying to messages. It seems to be either automatically quote everything or nothing. Is it me? Did I do something wrong? Not sure I like this new one.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2001 12:27 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind I tossed 6.2 what a piece of junk. Stay away from it

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-11-2001 02:57 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you came to the same conclusion I did. Stick to 4.7 for as long as you can.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2001 04:35 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went back to 4.78 also.
AOL bought Netscape and messed up everything.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-11-2001 06:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've NEVER seen a Quote button on this site. Where is it supposed to be?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-11-2001 06:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know either Joe. If there is such a feature, it must be something that I accidentally hacked out while I was hacking something else in. I'm not really a programmer, I just pretend to be one.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2001 08:57 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Ian hacked it?

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2001 09:31 PM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with Netscape Navigator 6.x is that it's not a finished product. They are beta versions of the open source Mozilla project, which has not yet gotten to 1.0. Navigator 6.2 is based on a build that is about two months old. It has improved greatly since that release, but still needs work - mostly polish.

I think it's coming along nicely for a complete rewrite of the original product. Besides don't tell me you think Navigator 4.7x (4.79 is the latest) is perfect. It has it's own share of bugs, a lot from code written when the internet was a very different place.

Steven Gorsky

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2001 09:46 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of UBB/vBulliten style message boards have a quote button, but this one does not. However, it's easy to get confused and think you saw one here rather than somewhere else, becuase these types of boards tend to look the same.

I've sometimes manually entered quotes in my posts here using the [ quote ] tag, complete with markup for the person's name and so on, just like vB 2.0 boards automatically do for you. Like this:

quote:
Brad Miller wrote:
I don't know either Joe. If there is such a feature, it must be something that I accidentally hacked out while I was hacking something else in. I'm not really a programmer, I just pretend to be one.

I think it makes it very clear what is being quoted, and where it came from, but it is a bit of a pain to do it manually. It would be nice if the site had a quote button to automatically generated that sort of thing. Many UBB and vB sites do, but for some reason, this one does not.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-11-2001 11:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are a Mac user, therer is a program called UBB Writer that is an off-line editor that you can add UBB tags at the click of a button. Just cut/paste the text to be quoted right off the page, hilight it and click on a button. The [quote] tags are inserted in the proper places.

Don't know if it's got a PC version but I'm sure there's something like it out there.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-12-2001 12:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as hacking in the code to do a quote button, that is something I prefer not to do. My reasoning is because in a linear discussion format like this, quoting a post above that you are responding to is not necessary.

Some examples:

"Yes, there is a Windows version." That would tell you to look directly above at the last post since it is not adressed to anyone in particular, for that is the post my answer is referencing. (No, I have no idea if there is a Windows version or not.)

"Jesse, don't you mean Joe?" That tells you that my response is in reference to Jesse's post above.

The only time these two will not work is if one particular person has posted multiple times before you in the thread. In that instance it is easy to word your response so that it makes sense. The use of repeating (or "quoting") someone's earlier post, unless it is really far back on the page, just seems to distract. In the case of a response to an older post, Aaron has the best solution.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-12-2001 01:25 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BAH! Just use MicroShaft's Internet Explorer.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-12-2001 09:03 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people like Opera, but the free download version seems to put in banner ads.

There are several good features in Microsoft's IE, but I found that it was little features that it does not have that bugged me. For example, you have to type "www.film-tech.com" in IE, but just "film-tech" when using Netscape.

You just know that Microsoft will sneak in "phone-home" code to let them follow you around, then sell for advertising reasons.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-12-2001 09:07 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before using MSIE, I'd suggest reading this:
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/172878.html

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-12-2001 02:39 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Scott.

oooooOOOOOOOOoooooo! Good information on that link. Thanks for pointing that out.

I tried Netscape once, it was a later version 6, if I recall correctly. I hated it, as it wanted to hog my computer too much. I uninstalled it and went back to MSIE. So far, I have not had any problems with MSIE that were stated in the link you provided. But sure does raise an eyebrow or two, doesn't it?

(maybe I didn't have Netscape configured right, but it sure was an overbearing program.)

Cheers.

Paul

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: