Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » P.E.T.A.'a (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: P.E.T.A.'a
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-07-2001 11:00 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... PETA is at it again. Today they just unveiled a new publicity stunt. The actresses, Dominique Swain, Pamela Anderson, Kim Basinger, Melissa Etheridge, and Christy Turlington are going to pose nude in advertisements to protest against fur.

Here's the link: PETA.ORG

I think this one is going to backfire on them in a BIG way. Just think... Every teenage boy in the world is going to be thinking, "Do you mean to tell me that if somebody buys a fur coat PAMELA ANDERSON will get NAKED!?"

Here, Kitty, Kitty!

------------------------------------------------------
PETA’S NEWEST NUDE ANTI-FUR AD UNVEILED AT VENICE HIGH SCHOOL

Lolita star Dominique Swain Declares, "I’d Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur"

For Immediate Release:
December 7, 2001
Paul West 323-954-9540, ext. 6
Dan Mathews/PETA 757-622-7382
Jackie Domac/Venice High School 310-713-7070

Los Angeles —– The wildest dream among kids is finding themselves standing nude in front of their classmates. Actor Dominique Swain (Lolita, Face/Off), just turned that dream into a reality when she became the youngest star ever to pose au naturel for PETA’s anti-fur campaign. In the ad, Swain appears naked in a classroom, writing, "I’d rather go naked than wear fur," on the chalkboard.
Swain will unveil the ad for high school students:

Date: Monday, December 10
Time: 4 p.m.
Place: Venice High School, Cunningham Bldg., Rm. 135,
13000 Venice Blvd. (east of Lincoln Blvd.)
Space is limited. Please R.S.V.P. to Paul West by noon on Monday.

Before the unveiling, Swain will show students a brief video exposé of animal cruelty in the fur trade, hosted by designer Todd Oldham. Twenty-one-year-old Swain joins the ranks of Pamela Anderson, Kim Basinger, Melissa Etheridge, and Christy Turlington, all of whom have shown some of their own skin in order to save animals’ skin in PETA’s high-profile "Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur" series. The unveiling is sponsored by Venice High School’s Peace Club, which has been active in promoting kindness to animals, spaying and neutering, and recycling in the area.

The campaign, shot in Hollywood by Robert Sebree, breaks nationally on December 11 in Gear magazine, which donated a full-page, four-color ad to the effort.

For more information, visit PETA’s Web site FurIsDead.com.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2001 11:37 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, 3 of the names on that list I can understand, but Melissa Etheridge? Yech!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-08-2001 02:39 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're showing this to high school kids?! Only in California! Although I think it's kind of silly, I don't object to it. But I can assure you that it would never happen at my high school, even now, let alone when I was there.

And why would they target the ads to high school kids? Except for Beverly Hills, no high school kids have the money for fur coats.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2001 09:04 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My barber has in his barbershop a bumper sticker that reads:

"PETA -- People Eating Tasty Animals".

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2001 10:14 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated R

Perhaps if the young lady could turn and face us we would discover whether or not she had a fur coat?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-08-2001 02:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"PETA -- People Eating Tasty Animals".<<

There is a PETA-parody website that is just that and they also were the ORIGINAL owners of the domain name www.peta.org before those radical 'animals only, screw the people' jerks and their bottomfeeding lawyers apparently successfully sued to get the domain name back.

Here is the site formerly known as peta.org:
http://www.mtd.com/tasty/

Bon Appetit! Hope those vegans all choke on a carrot

-Aaron

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-08-2001 05:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People have the right to their opinions. This is AMERICA after all!
Unfortunately, some people think that they have the right to tell OTHER people what they should think.

Unfortunately, when we have a society with as much leisure time as we do and the great surplus of food we do you'll get people who've had it for too good for too long and have lost touch with reality.

Animals are food. Get used to it, PETA. It's not going to change. If they have a problem with that they should move to Afganistan.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2001 06:23 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me for playing the devil's advocate, but Randy, you said:

quote:
People have the right to their opinions. This is AMERICA after all!

but then, you said:

quote:
Animals are food. Get used to it, PETA. It's not going to change. If they have a problem with that they should move to Afganistan.

Aren't you telling people, or at least PETA, what to think? You can certainly disagree with their ads or their opinions, but aren't they enititled to both, just as you are? It seems as though you're saying that In America, everyone is allowed to express their opinion, but if you disagree, please leave. (I know I'm exaggerating what you said, to a degree, but it helps illustrate my point.)

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-08-2001 09:52 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Joe Beres -- It seems as though you're saying that In America, everyone is allowed to express their opinion, but if you disagree, please leave.

Well, that's why America is here in the first place, isn't it? A bunch of people from England and Europe decided that they didn't like the way things were, so they left. Right?

Okay, seriously...
Not everybody can have everything the way they want it all the time. There has to be some way to reach a middle ground so that the most people can have most of the things they want most of the time. That's why we have elections.

I don't care if you want to be a vegetarian. I don't care if you eat twigs and berries for the rest of your life. I don't care if you want to tell people about it. Just don't do things that are illegal to try to make your point. That's what bugs me about PETA.

If enough people thought the way they did then there'd be enough support for them to elect some officials who thought the way they did. I don't know about you but I think they are a bunch of goofballs.

If this publicity stunt is a way for them to spread the word about their cause, I think they are doing themselves a disservice. First it reinforces the idea that PETA people are kooks. Second, if people get the idea that these bodacious actresses will get naked if they buy fur then you could imagine that some people will buy MORE fur.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2001 10:59 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy said: "Just don't do things that are illegal to try to make your point. That's what bugs me about PETA."

What have they done illegal?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-08-2001 11:10 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think PETA directly violated any laws, but I remember awhile ago they were accused of "encouraging" people to damage (usually using spray-paint) anyone wearing fur coats.

Although, I'd rather Dominique Swain went naked, rather then wear fur, too!

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 01:11 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that Johnis correct that PETA never broke any laws. Don't confuse them with the other organization that take a more radical and violent stance. However, Randy, I agree that PETA has gotten cookier by the year. I tend to think that much of their work is pointless and accomplishes little for the causes they represent. I just think that everyone has the right to express their opinion. To me, that is a lot of what it is to be American.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-09-2001 02:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I guess I have to admit that they have cleaned up their act in the "civil disobedience" department. They haven't been as active as they have in the past. I suppose I'm remembering a lot of things they did in the past by encouraging people to do things, all the while maintianing "plausable deniability". I can think of at least one group that's still a lot worse than they have ever been.

I actually saw one of their demonstrations outside of a store, back in the 80's. Things like that stick in your mind, I guess.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 02:29 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have another site for everybody to check out...
http://www.petasucks.cc/

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 11:15 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peta?
I thought that was something Jack In The Box sold

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: