Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hey, Movie Tunes, You S**K! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hey, Movie Tunes, You S**K!
Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2001 07:51 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I got my Dec. movie tunes disc on the 6th of the month(late again) and it doesn't play. Guess what? This is the second month in a row that I have received bad discs. Since I'm still running Oct.'s disc, I'm pretty sure my player works fine. So I call the phone number on the disc and it's disconnected. Figures. Call the number on the poop sheet and get voice mail. Think I'll get a call back? Doubt it. I played phone tag with these people all last month trying to get a Nov. disc that actually worked. No help there. Only thing this company seems to be good at is making coasters. I'm going to mail all their crappy products back to them, along with a nice dead Alaskan salmon. Rant over.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-07-2001 02:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has Movie Tunes resorted to using CD-Rs? If so, then they are probably using the cheapest, worst kind they can get. I've seen many brands of CD-Rs (like PNY--they suck ASS) that only play in a few different CD players.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-07-2001 08:57 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had problems with the disc; just with the stupid crap they put on them!

Scott N. did an good review awhile ago, (see the review section) and do a search for "Movie Tunes" in the regular Film Handlers forum.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2001 02:02 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have been using CD-Rs for quite a while now, and I have had no problems with the disks, but as John said, just with what is on them.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2001 03:26 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith,
I have no experience with Movie Tunes, but based on the replies to your post, It sounds like it might be an issue with your cd player. (see recent posts about cdrs in the Film-Yak section)Are you using an older CD Player? A DVD player? Your hardware might be the root of your problems.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2001 03:57 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, my player works fine. Use it everynight to listen to my music while cleaning the booth. Works like a champ. Oct. Movie Tunes plays fine it also. Both Nov. and Dec. discs won't play in it at all. Gotta be the discs. Thanks for the input anyway, every little bit helps.
kp

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2002 07:02 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe those MovieTunes CDs are "copy protected". In other words, the CDs are encoded so you can't rip 'em. Some CD players will not play a "copy protected" CD no matter what.

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2002 08:33 PM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Charles, but like Keith said only the November and December discs haven't been working. I'm pretty sure it's bad discs.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-05-2002 09:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that copy-protected "CDs" are not technically "CDs" because they do not follow the Red Book specifications. Thankfully, Phillips (the owners of the CD trademark) has been making some attempts to prevent manufacturers of non-CDs from calling them CDs.

Essentially, the copy protection schemes currently in use rely upon introducing errors into the mastering process, which results in a disk which will play in most "forgiving" standalone players but which is sufficiently out-of-spec to generate errors when played on a computer CD-ROM drive or in some higher-end CD players.

This is yet another horrible idea which won't do anything to reduce piracy, but which will annoy legitimate users of the product. Hopefully the RIAA will soon learn what major software companies learned over a decade ago and dump the ineffective copy-protection schemes.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-06-2002 12:51 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt Movie Tunes are copy protected. Hell, they're too cheap to even change their unnecessary theme music!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2002 04:26 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never heard Movie Tunes but I am starting to wonder what is so great about this prerecorded nonsync music! Century Theaters has Century Radio that gets pretty damned annoying! What ever happened to just turning on the local radio station and using a station that would be approperiate for that particular flic in a particular auditorium to suit the taste of that particular audience....Problem Solved!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2002 05:33 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may not re-broadcast any radio program for public consumption for any reason without the explicit permission of the radio station. If you have their permission, go for it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-06-2002 11:08 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is probably not allowed, but why can't theatres just take those movie soundtrack CDs that studios send and play them on the non-sync?

If we HAD to play advertisements, there could be one disk full of nothing but ads and PSAs, or whatever. The theatre could load up a multi-disk player with soundtracks and this ad disk and put it on "shuffle-repeat" mode.

Best of both worlds... Non-lame music that changes frequently... Advertisements... Not a lot of money spent on the theatre's part, except for the player (which a lot of places may already have.)
AND... the current movies get promoted.

Even if it's not allowed I don't see why, with the proper agreements/contracts, it couldn't be put into effect on short order.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-07-2002 11:37 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it would be cool to use a seperate nonsync system for each theatre, and play the currently playing film's soundtrack.

BTW - due to al of the mergers, many theatres are going to be switching to MovieTunes soon
A least it's better than the "contemperary 70s romance" station piped through many theatres over a cable radio provider. One thing that concerns me about movie tunes:
Does it only send one cd a month? Thats only 70-80 min. of programing? Would they allow you to use a disc changer and keep cds playing from the last 3 months?

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 12:15 AM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, you only get one CD a month, and you're not suppose to play a previous months CD ever.

The last theatre I worked at played MovieTunes everywhere, in the lobby, auditorium, and the restroom. I nearly went insane.

Steven Gorsky

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: