Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Television in Todd-AO

Author Topic: Television in Todd-AO
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2001 07:23 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I won't pretend that I know much about Todd-AO, by all accounts it was an innovative process. However lately on TVLand, I've noticed a number of television shows (Beverly Hillbillies for one) has a closing credit to the effect of "Sound Recorded in Todd-AO". What was involved and why? I know most TV was (and is still?) shot on film.....

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-05-2001 07:31 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to being a process, Todd-AO is the name of one of the better sound postproduction facilities in the Los Angeles area. Quite a few television programs have had sound post work done there; this work continues to this day. They also do film post and stuff like sounding 70mm mag-stripe prints.
http://www.toddao.com/

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-05-2001 08:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think for the longest time Seinfield had the tag "Filmed in Panavision" rather than merely stating they used Panavision equipment and lenses. Maybe when HDTV takes off for syndication we will see Seinfield in 2.39:1? or at least 1.78:1...somehow I think it was just a goof.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-05-2001 09:40 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Seinfeld was shot on 35mm. in some of the production picture I have seen, they do use panavision cameras. most likely it is being shot in 1.33(full frame), making the translation to TV less involved.

Josh

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2001 01:16 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always impressed with the sound quality on prints of The Beverly Hillbillies, and other Todd-AO recorded Filmways shows. They always seemed to have good low and high frequency ranges even with the limitations of 16mm optical.

I think my old TV station ran everything that they produced... except the Addams Family, darn it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: