Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fire shutdowns

Author Topic: Fire shutdowns
Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2001 06:33 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a previous thread.

"It turned out that there was a seperate 240volt supply to the console for the Fire Emergency shutdown to control the main contactor in the console. "

I don't understand the whole concept of always on electricity in a fire situation. If I understand correctly, power to exit lights cannot be shut off, and there are other circuits, such as a fire alarm system, that may not be breakered, guaranteeing a serious fire if lightning hits that system.

I get the idea that exit lights should somehow be immune to tampering, but this idea seems more dangerous to me than the alternatives. I could maybe accept it more readily if there was a required day-glo insulation that could only be used on fire circuit wiring, but sheesh.

Buildings were in existance before indoor electricity, and water from fire hoses and electricity don't mix, fires in older exit lights must somehow be extinquished, etc. Surely there has to be a better and safer way to deal with this.

Comments? Convince me otherwise?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-05-2001 07:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't understand the whole concept of always on electricity in a fire situation. If I understand correctly, power to exit lights cannot be shut off, and there are other circuits, such as a fire alarm system, that may not be breakered, guaranteeing a serious fire if lightning hits that system.

The question you have to ask is what is the bigger risk - that of lightning hitting that system or of staff and customers being trapped in a dark building, unable to escape?

In all the cinemas I worked in, power to the emergency (exit) lights could be turned off, but it was a different procedure to the general power supply. The emergency lights worked on a 'primary maintained' system, which was a low voltage supply fed from a bank of lead-acid batteries which, while the mains power remained on, was continuously trickle-charged at the rate needed to offset the discharge. In the event that the mains power failed, local council regulations (i.e. the cinema licence) said that the batteries had to be able to maintain the lights for a set period of time (usually three hours). This automatically kicked in if the mains failed or was switched off, and these systems are regularly tested by simply disconnecting the mains and letting the batteries discharge themselves.

You could turn those emergency lights off altogether, by disconnecting the supply from the batteries from the lighting circuit, but it was utterly verboten to do that when the public are on the premises. On the one occasion I ever had to (when the plant room containing the battery unit flooded), I had to go through a menu system on an LCD panel pressing OK to questions like 'Are you sure you want to do this?', 'Are you still sure?' 'If you do this and there are customers in the building, you are liable for the death penalty, so do you really really want to?' and so on and so forth. However it was never in any of our standard evacuation drills to do this.

Similarly the fire alarm systems also had to have a three-hour battery backup. In all the evacuation drills I learnt we never isolated any mains power except for the projection rooms. For auditorium air conditioning, I tended to kill the intakes but leave the extracts on, the thinking being that it would suck oxygen out of the room and help to starve any fire.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-05-2001 12:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a fan of the glow in the dark exit signs and wish aisle lighting extrusions would be available like them

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-05-2001 05:14 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leo Enticknap -- For auditorium air conditioning, I tended to kill the intakes but leave the extracts on, the thinking being that it would suck oxygen out of the room and help to starve any fire.

In larger public buildings, like high-rise hotels, there are sets of large fans on the roof which lie dormant during normal conditions but are turned ON when the fire alarm is activated. The idea is to evacuate the (possible) smoke from the building, allowing the occupants to escape more safely. Smoke building up in confined spaces can also cause flash fires. Evacuating the smoke also helps prevent this.

AFAIK, all fire alarm wiring is supposed to be inside watertight conduit and painted red to differentiate it from the rest of the wiring. Except for the AC power to the panel, the majority of it is low voltage anyway, isn't it?

I agree that self-luminous exit signs are the way to go. They should at least be used as a backup for the lighted exit signs normally in use. The one place where they work really well is in the front of the auditorium, near the screen... prevents stray light from being shown on the screen.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2001 03:27 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A group of guys here in NZ have made these glow in the dark stair edge devices that need no power and can be used in Stadiums and all sorts buldings ,so if the emergency lighting runs out you can still see where to go.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: