Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "IT" IS REVEALED! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "IT" IS REVEALED!
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 07:51 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw the unveiling of IT on GOOD MORNING AMERICA.
It is a two wheeled scooter that is battery powered & uses
gyroscopes to keep itself from falling over.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 11:55 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this hype for months. I dont really care about it.

It's cool the way that it stays balanced, but for $3000 it should have cruise-control!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 02:18 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the same "It" that was on South Park a couple of weeks ago?
Owch

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 06:47 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, that was what I was thinking. My first thought was, "Dude, you watch way to much South Park." But then I overheard something about it on my roommate's TV. So what's up with this "IT" thing, and how did Trey Parker at Matt Stone know about it before it was "revealed"?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 07:30 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great.....another stupid device I can do without.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-03-2001 11:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't get it. This is called "The invention of the decade". Why? What does it do? Why would anyone want it? The ONLY use (and I mean ONLY) I can see for it is for elderly people to use instead of canes, etc. There's no way to carry stuff on it or to take a passenger, it looks absolutely lame. You can get a motor for your moutainbike that straps onto the frame and also lets you go 17mph and it only costs $400. Only yuppies will pay the $3000 tag for this. I don't see how anyone could be stupid to buy one of these when it comes out. Hopefully no one will. I just don't get it!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-04-2001 01:25 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next logical step...

...Extreme Segway competitions on ESPN!

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2001 04:28 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see that they are Testing to see if the Posties can use these , Imagine your mailman zooming around on these.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 12-04-2001 07:36 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have al-ready outlawed the use of this "scooter" winthin the City Limits of New York. It is too bad as I think they would be great for getting in to work on most days. I used to use a City Bug that was made by Sharper Image ( Cost $600.00) to get around the City. From my apartment on East 63rd Street to my office on Fifth Avenure at 55th Street:RUSH HOUR.

Walking 20 minutes.
Bus 30 to 45 Minutes
Car 20 to 25minutes
City Bug Scooter 5 Minutes.

Most Streets have a bicycle Lanes. They should permit the sale with a Bicycle lane restriction in Manhattan.

They do look like a lot of fun.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2001 09:16 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess as long as they have rules to follow, like cars do (and bicycles don't) it could work. I have always had this feeling that wacky transportation devices would be a really bad idea. Like....jet packs. The idea being you could just put on a jet pack and fly anywhere you want. Free....to fly like a bird....how nice. But what happens when you get a few thousand people with their jet packs (etc) all heading for a ball game. Man, it would be raining body parts. I mean look at freeways and the stupid things drivers do trying to get ahead of everyone else, and they are at least are confined to 2 dimensions with lines and streets to follow. Imagine addind a 3rd dimension and no guidlines. I think it might be the end of civilization as we know it. But anyway, these scooter things look like they might be interesting to try, but I don't think it's going to be quite as big as they are hoping. I could be wrong

------------------
Greg Mueller

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2001 09:52 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they are at least are confined to 2 dimensions with lines and streets to follow. Imagine addind a 3rd dimension and no guidelines.

Well, one of the main problems with street traffic is the confinement to two dimensions. On a two-lane road, all it takes is one slow driver and no place to pass to block everyone behind. Adding a third dimension increases the amount of space by an order of magnitude and gives two more degrees of freedom (actually 4 since most street and road travel is confined to one dimension most of the time) for navigation and avoiding accidents. Like you say, the problem would be organizing the traffic where a large number of people are going to one spot. Out in the open, the probability of collision goes down an order of magnitude from 2D travel. I agree that there would have to be some guidelines and restrictions, but adding a third dimension would do away with nearly all traffic jams.

Interesting exercise in 3D: Draw out and render three "limited access freeways", all orthogonal to each other, one north-south, one east-west, and one up-down, coming together at one place, needing an interchange capable of allowing motorists to exit any freeway and get onto either other freeway in either direction without requiring any stops or signals. (The 3D analogue of the "cloverleaf")

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2001 03:51 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did they do it on the Jetson's? Hovering guideposts wasn't it?

I'd like to see the "extreme" skateboarders get "brained" as the gyroscope kept them level going into the halfpipe!

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2001 07:51 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling this invention will have other applications than the scooter. The NYTimes article indicated the inventor was a medical researcher who invented something used by a U.S. President--artificial heart or something--and was interested in the interaction of the human body and nervous system, with the mechanics of balance and locomotion. Apparently it's not only the application of the gyro that is new, but the control of steering and balance by almost unconscious movements of the human musculature. "It seems to anticipate where the rider wants to go."

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2001 09:06 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that is interesting. Maybe something along the lines of the bionic man eh?. I once read a scifi short story where these guys were working on Jupiter and had to use these "helper" suits so they could standup and work etc. The suits reacted to the minute movements of the operator. Not to mention Starship Troopers (the book). I like it

------------------
Greg Mueller

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2001 10:34 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Here's how it was introduced on "Good Morning America:
http://more.abcnews.go.com/sections/gma/goodmorningamerica/gma011203what_it_is.html

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: