Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Restoration of Cinema

Author Topic: Restoration of Cinema
Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 04:51 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of way to save a once grand Picture Palace("Crystal Palace" Auckland,apart from winning Lotto,a friend of mine has a family cinema that they brought off Amalgamated Theatres (One of the big 2 cinema chains in NZ during the 50s to late 80s)the other being "Kerridge Odein Ltd.they have owned (an Indian Family) this cinema since the late 70s and it is in the same kind of condition as they first owned it, this theatre seats around 700 and is a single floor (sloping) although vey high ceiling (could accommadate a Balcony) has a proper water fall Curtain and Tabs curtain and a huge arch Procienium which has alternating RED ,BLUE and GREEN lamps located in the arch , lots of plaster work through-out the Interior (will send pictures)although it has a flat screen behind this is the original Curved screen frame, the projection room has 2 newly restored WestStars with Mag-Arcs no automation and Mono sound although it is set up for Stero suround .
The theatre needs alot of time and money spent on it to bring to it's once former glory ,you may ask why the owners are not able to do this ,well the Father and the son don't see eye to eye on what should be done and I'm the one who gets stuck in the middle (the cinema is not showing to the general public right now)shows ocassional Indian films (I'm normally the projectionist) but it is mostly closed , I have been trying to get a Long term cheap rent and try to set up a restoration trust , as I think this is the only way to preserve this last great Suburban Picture Palace in Aucland , what I need to know has anyone done this or do you know of anyone sucessfully completed something similar in your part of the world, the main problem with this theatre is that many people have put in the effort in the past to make improvements and upgrades and have been left frustrated by the lack of action by the owners to put in some money and elbow grease to help , the others have said they will work with me but not the owners and this is what I've been working hard to bring together , the father keeps saying that he will give me a Lease and the son is OK with that ,the problem is keeping them on the side lines so that I can assemble the keen theatre people and get them enthused again , the father has contacted me again as he wants to bring a film in from Aust.to show on the 16th of December , the only problem I have with this is that each time I tell them we need to do a check on the cinema to get it ready (fix any boken and damage seats and other fittings ,clean and replace any light fittings Etc.) before the show dates ,he answers OK ,so I turn up 2 days before screening Date run a Test reel thru both the projectors and notice things I've asked them to do not done yet , assured will be ,Screening night turn on house lights half the bulbs not working .....do you get the picture ,having onced owned my own theatre these are things I did between sessions (my booth opened to the Auditurium) sweep up popcorn, mop spilt drinks check for graffiti and any bulbs blown and this is while the credits are still running (thats when no one is watching the credits though) I know it sounds like a lost cause but it is the theatre I'm worried about and what the people of Auckland will lose , as this building starts to crumble and decay.
In Auckland we are proud of our CIVC theatre that has been restored and is used for plays and Classic Movies ,but we used to have 60approx suburban cinemas of those 2 remain as cinemas The "Hollywood" Avondale and the "Crystal Palace"

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-01-2001 10:17 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll get you started with a link. The site is for the restoration project of the New Theater in Fort Smith, Arkansas, designed by the famous Boller Brothers and built in 1911.

www.musicfortsmith.org

They have pages and pages of links to other theaters here in the US that are being or have been restored; just click on "Other Theater Restorations" about half way down the main page.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 11:55 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Adam that has been a great help and what a great amount of work is being done to Preserve those Picture Palace treasures ,I know the growing generations will appreciate this someday,I remember once some children running to their mother at one of our Matinee sessions to announce in worried voices "Mum there is no screen in that place ..." too used to those Multi-plexs with no Curtains.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: