Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Registrations and pictures

Author Topic: Registrations and pictures
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-22-2001 04:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I came across a few member pictures and registration requests that I somehow misplaced.

If anyone has sent in a member picture, or a registration request and has not seen the picture online or received their registration info, please email me. Flix@film-tech.com

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-23-2001 06:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, has all the teasing about pictures lately resulted in an increased flow of pictures? I personally liked the caricatures the best. I think Joe oughta do them for everyone!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 09:30 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't consider the current crop of tease pictures in good taste (sorry Brad and Joe, but they are not). Some of the nicest people I've known had cleft lips, bad teeth, and deformities and I don't find these pictures funny or a particular incentive for anyone to change.

As a suggestion, Chris Everett might send in a photo if he had to live with a Ronald Reagan picture, photos of Mao, Stalin, etc. might get others to send in photos. I hope the current pictures change quickly.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 10:18 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Why pressure people to send in pictures if they dont want to in the first place?
What if they dont have scanners?
Or if they dont have a current picture and dont feel like taking one just for some message board?
Or if the dont feel like going to the copy place just to get a picture scanned for some message board?
If I didnt already have my picture up, I dont think I would be very happy to see one of these (looks like they were taken from uglypeople.com) by my name.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-23-2001 11:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry,

Sorry you don't find them humorous. Many other people do. I suppose we should all ban Warner Brothers' cartoons too, for most of the characters on them had speech impediments, right? The bottom line is that no two people's personalities are the same and I'll bet if I was to put up Reagan's picture that there would be someone who would complain. Think about your time at the theater dealing with customers. That alone should prove to you that you can never please everyone. So what do you do? You try and please as many people as possible and you just don't worry about those few complainers, inparticularly the ones who make a big scene in the lobby.

Is it working? Yes, very much so. Granted a lot of people who have sent in their pics do not post a lot, but we now have a ton of what I would refer to as "real participants", and not just names with comments.

The fakes are easily identified by the black frame around them and will probably last for about as long as the animal or charicatures did...a few days to a week, unless you would like for me to keep them up longer. If you don't like it, skip the site for a few days.

Anyone who cannot send me a private email and feels the need to make a public issue when they see something inappropriate to them (for whatever reason it may be) please note that I will not be interested in your opinion. Anyone who does show me the courtesy of sending me a private email when they see something that concerns them, I will gladly take the comments and recommendations into account and possibly make changes to the site, but please do make sure it is a legitimate complaint that is worth my time and not just an email to let off steam from your life.
----------------------
James,
Why pressure people to send in pictures if they dont want to in the first place?

Why spend over a thousand bucks a month offering a service to someone who can not give me the courtesy of sending in a picture? (Perhaps I should make the manuals section of the website available only to forum members with pictures. It would certainly save a lot of money from my bandwidth bills.) Do you really think that I am out of line asking for someone to take a couple of minutes out of their life one time to submit a picture? Please explain how this is wrong of me.

What if they dont have scanners?

I find it hard to believe that *most* people do not have a friend who couldn't scan in one picture.

Or if they dont have a current picture and dont feel like taking one just for some message board?

Send in an old one. There are several here who have elected to send in a younger picture. While I would recommend people send in a somewhat recent picture (say 5 years or so), there is nothing wrong with sending in an older pic.

Or if the dont feel like going to the copy place just to get a picture scanned for some message board?

Drop it in the mail for 34 cents and I'll scan it and return the photo.

Given the time and money I put into keeping this site available to everyone, I seriously do not think that asking each member to send in one picture of themself is asking too much. Should I just demand everyone sends in a picture and block those users who do not? Of course not, that's ridiculous and goes against the ideal here of spreading "film done right". Instead we're trying to find more friendly and comical ways to entice members to submit a picture and many of them have. Got an idea for increasing picture submissions? Email me and we'll probably do it. This is pretty much the only forum on the internet where REAL names are used and people do not hide behind silly handles like "Movieboy". We've been trying to personalize it further with member pictures, and you both know how much having a picture beside the words helps. We're only talking about a one time exertion from each member here, yet you're making it out to be something huge. You guys are starting to sound like customers.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2001 02:32 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad said:

Send in an old one. There are several here who have elected to send in a younger picture. While I would recommend people send in a somewhat recent picture (say 5 years or so), there is nothing wrong with sending in an older pic.
..............................................................................................

I must be the contender for the oldest picture displayed, being 41 years ago since it was taken. I have tried some recent mug shots but it going to take downing a bottle of scotch and some courage to send one in. I would settle for a picture of that nice friendly monster in Monsters Inc: though.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-24-2001 06:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard-

At least when I read your posts I know who it is by right away. When there are posts by members without pictures I look at their names and get them confused with other members (if I look at all).

Oh, and to anyone who is thinking about this: You cannot send in your own joke picture!

As far as the caricatures are concerned, I would love to do one of each member (unless a particular member didn't want it for some reason). But in order to do that I would need to see real pictures of everyone. Perhaps having caricature drawings up for the month of April (for April Fools) would be cool. I'd like that. It'd be hell on me, but I'd like that.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-24-2001 06:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For April Fool's day the pictures should be randomly shuffled, like he way Joe does his.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: