Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kabul Residents Swarm Cinema (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kabul Residents Swarm Cinema
Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2001 02:28 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kabul Residents Swarm Cinema

I wonder if they were showing Harry Potter

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

|  IP: Logged

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2001 02:40 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beat me by about a minute on that post Colin! Brad, getting back to the gun theme, I believe they're not only encouraged but recommended at this theatre!

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-19-2001 02:42 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin, took all of the jokes in the forum and and converted it onto film and sent it to the Cimema in Kabul. These people needed a laugh.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2001 04:33 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Channel 4 News in the UK showed you a shot of the projectionist with a very long beard and his projector, which was a small looking 35mm portable with 2,000’ spools. I assume there was a 2nd machine.

Ten years ago ITN News showed the front of a Baghdad cinema blown out exposing the projection box. The projectionist was trying to have a tidy up. Between the projectors was a large picture of Saddam Hussein the Iraq leader.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2001 09:33 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I assume there was a 2nd machine."

Don't assume on this one. In "Beshkempir," which takes place in nearby Kyrgyzstan, the film shows a scene with only one projector.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2001 02:26 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two cinemas in Baghdad had the DP70 installed according to the 1960 DP70 brochure. See the list here.

I wonder what happened to them? They run everything, even Islamic movies, as long as film have holes!

------------------
Cheers, Thomas
..in70mm - The 70mm Newsletter
www.in70mm.com www.dp70.com www.70mm.dk www.hauerslev.com http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-20-2001 06:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I wonder if they were showing Harry Potter"
I'll bet it was in some of those yellow canisters that were dumped from the air the last few weeks. All those prints and they will never miss a few extra........Mummmmmm, They can watch Harry and sit and eat Peanut Butter and Crackers...sounds like my kind-o-place.
Mark @ GTS

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-20-2001 07:38 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those projectors are Russian-made, but their name eludes me at this time. If i can remember, I'll post their name.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2001 10:58 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas:

According to Cinemationlist, the pair of Philips DP70s are up for sale in the now closed Plaza, Lower Regent Street, London.

John:

I bought a Russian am/fm/sw transister radio many years ago, rather oversized and built like a tank but sound quality was fantastic, good as any UK Robertsons. I would imagine their projectors were good and made to last.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-21-2001 11:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a pair of Russian portable machines that are clones of the portable Zeiss TK-35. They are quite nice but the movements are greased, not oiled so I don't now about longivety. The gate is also made of wood as is the large main drive gear. It is a model number KN-something or other. They do have swing away scope holders which is a nice touch, and the Russian solid state amplifier kicks ass. There is a voltage regulating transformer that feeds everything and is adjustable for many different AC voltages. When I got the pair(from a surplus dealer near Toronto) they were brand new and many of the pieces were still packed in grease.
Mark @ GTS

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-21-2001 03:41 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A tech I know used to service the russian KN portable that Mark owns. The wooden drivegear would swell up in the tropics and self destruct so he found himself becoming a "whittler" in making replacement parts.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2001 08:39 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"so he found himself becoming a "whittler" in making replacement parts"

And that would make his mom...?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-21-2001 09:14 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whittler's Mom of course; but she is too busy being on display.....We just had dinner made of meatloaf shaped like a turkey...our bizzare household way of prepping for Thanksgiving...
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-22-2001 03:38 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a picture of the projector - looks like a Meopta to me, but can't be sure - in Tuesday's Daily Telegraph. I'll scan it this evening and post.

The projector was indeed portable - no lamphouse at all, the illumination can't have been more than a slide projector bulb. The report said that this place was a 650-seat cinema. Somehow, I don't think that setup meets the SMPTE's reccommended 16ft/l!

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-22-2001 07:56 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The return of cinemas to a war torn market is a good hope to a desire for peace and some recreation if life. When the conflict in Lebenon subsided, Victor Nicelli of Cinemeccanica noted that large orders projectors where being sold after 10 years of inactivity. We saw this in sales to Central America when civil war in the region came to a close......as a 30 year member of SMPTE, we strive to give customers proper equipment for presentations but in my travels I have seen situations we would call horrible or inadequate.....but the marvel of seeing people enjoying themselves in the majic of cinema usually puts this onto perspective.....a dim mazda bulb is possibly better than nothing.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products inc. www.tvpmiami.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: