Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Leonid Meteor Showerv

Author Topic: Leonid Meteor Showerv
Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-16-2001 09:52 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leonid Meteor Shower Could Be One Of Best In History By Robert Naeye In the wee morning hours of Sunday, November 18, the Leonid meteor shower might intensify into a dazzling meteor storm, with "shooting stars"
continuously blazing trails across the night sky. Viewers across the United States are perfectly positioned to take advantage of the storm, which could be among the most spectacular sky events of the 21st century according to the latest scientific predictions.

The peak in shower activity will occur between 4:00 and 6:00 a.m. EST, or
1:00 and 3:00 a.m. PST on Sunday morning, November 18. "During the peak, people viewing under clear and dark skies could see meteors shooting across the sky at a rate of 1,000 to 2,000 per hour, with flurries of one meteor per second at the peak of the storm," says Robert Naeye, Editor of Mercury magazine, which is published in San Francisco by the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (ASP).

During the predicted storm, Earth will plow through a trail of tiny dust particles left behind by Comet Tempel-Tuttle during its passage through the inner solar system in the year 1767. This comet rounds the Sun every
33.25 years, shedding dust particles as it is warmed by sunlight.
Meteor showers occur when Earth passes through debris left behind by comets.
But meteor storms occur when Earth passes through particularly dense ribbons of comet debris.

"During a typical Leonid meteor shower, an experienced observer might see about 10 to 15 meteors per hour. But during a storm, that rate climbs to
1,000 or more meteors per hour," says Naeye. "This year's Leonid storm might peak at a rate of up to 2,000 per hour, although it's difficult to pin down a precise number. The rates will rise and fall over a period of two hours."

"Of course, these numbers depend on the accuracy of our predictions.
But the predictions have been remarkably accurate in recent years," says ASP member Dr. Peter Jenniskens, an astronomer and meteor researcher at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California, and author of an in-depth article about meteor science in the November/December 2001 issue of Mercury magazine.

This year's Leonid display has two added bonuses. The Moon will rise during daylight and set six hours before the peak, so the Moon's glare will not obscure fainter meteors. In addition, the peak will occur on a Sunday morning, so many people can sleep in after a long night of skygazing.

If one mentally traces back the trajectory of Leonid meteors, they appear to originate in the constellation Leo (the Lion). Leo rises around midnight, so the shower will be minimal in the hours immediately after sunset. But it will pick up considerably as the night progresses.

The entire United States should enjoy a good shower. Peak meteor rates should occur around 5:00 a.m. EST, 4:00 a.m. CST, 3:00 a.m. MST, and
2:00 a.m. PST. Observers in eastern Asia and the Western Pacific will also enjoy a storm approximately 8 hours later (in the morning hours of November 19, local time), according to the forecasts. For the latest predictions for your local area, visit this website from NASA's Ames Research Center http://www-space.arc.nasa.gov/~leonid/estimator.html <http://www-space.arc.nasa.gov/~leonid/estimator.html> Earth will encounter another dense ribbon of Comet Tempel-Tuttle debris in 2002, but under a full Moon. After that, it's over for nearly a century. "It's now or never," stresses Naeye. "People should take advantage of this year's Leonid storm, because astronomers don't think we'll see another storm like this one until the year 2099. We will probably never see a better meteor shower in our lifetimes."

When you see meteors, popularly known as "shooting stars," you're seeing interplanetary dust particles burning up in the atmosphere at altitudes of about 60 to 70 miles. A typical comet dust particle -- known as a meteoroid -- is only about the size of a grain of sand or a pebble when it enters the atmosphere. Larger chunks of comet debris, perhaps up to the sizes of basketballs, sometimes light up the sky as they burn up, which are events called fireballs or bolides. Leonids enter the atmosphere at 160,000 miles per hour, making them the fastest meteors of the year.

"Shooting stars are for every man, woman, and child to see, and it doesn't take any special equipment to see them," says Jane Houston Jones, a member of the ASP Board of Directors and an experienced meteor observer.
"Most Leonid meteors are faint, so you'll see more of them if you are far away from city light pollution. If you can't get to a dark site, then control your own light pollution by turning out as many lights as you can control. Then sit back in a lawn chair, bundle up in a blanket, and at a little before midnight local time, face east. You'll see the backwards question-mark shape of Leo's mane rising, and that's where the meteors will appear to radiate over the next few hours."

Meteors are beautiful sky events for skygazers. But for scientists, meteors are fascinating in their own right. "Meteor science involves more than just predicting storms. We also want to learn about the meteoroids themselves, which in turn tell us a great deal about the parent comet,"
says Jenniskens. "We also want to learn more how meteors may have brought critical organic material to Earth, perhaps leading to the origin and prevalence of life on our planet."

Related Articles:

* Ready for the Storm, by Peter Jenniskens http://www.astrosociety.org/pubs/mercury/1101pr/leonids.html <http://www.astrosociety.org/pubs/mercury/1101pr/leonids.html>
* How to Enjoy the Meteor Show, by Jane Houston Jones http://www.astrosociety.org/pubs/mercury/1101pr/leonidsidebar.html <http://www.astrosociety.org/pubs/mercury/1101pr/leonidsidebar.html

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-16-2001 11:12 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Leonids Meteor shower seems like it will be pretty great --at least for those of us with clear skies. Much of Texas and Oklahoma has had persistent showers and storms the past few days. It is doubtful the clouds will clear away anytime before Monday. The way the weather looks, I might have to drive 500 miles just to find some clear skies. Oh well.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2001 11:48 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its been fairly quiet up here in new york. I saw one tonight(first one i've ever seen!). I'm planning on setting up a lawn chair on the roof of the theatre tomorrow night.

------------------
...My brain's always wrapped...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-18-2001 06:23 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, got up at 4:00am and looked up. Luckly, not a cloud in the sky. It was pretty neat, but man it was cold, with a slight breeze. There are too many street lights near where I live, so I went up north a bit to a friend's for darker skys.

I would expect the meteors to all be going in a similar direction, but they went all different ways. Some were quite bright, with long tracers after them. Sometimes, there would be 2-3 at once.

We were standing next to a old, abandoned farmhouse with a tiny fireplace. I was thinking; the people who use to live there would have to deal with this cold, gather wood, and farm by hand or with horses. It seems like in less than 80 years or so we went from a nation of largely independant, self-sufficient people willing to hunker down for the winter in small houses ... to people (like me!) who would be lost if I could't find a nearby McDonald's...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-18-2001 08:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was pretty cool. One of the meteors failed to completely disintegrate coming through the atmosphere and it crushed my house. Needless to say I am suing the responsible comet or whatever the hell caused these meteors. I would sue the meteor itself, but it turned to dust just after my house burned down.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2001 10:16 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, the same thing happened to me! All I have left from the incident is a burnt broom and a pair of used ruby slippers. Before the house went up in flames I heard some cursing about "stupid Potter magic, I'll get you my pretty!"

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2001 01:04 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I and the other board members of our astronomy club met at a friends house and began the watch at midnight.
From 12-1 AM we counted 50
From 1-2 we counted 125
From 2-3 we counted 300
Fog came in at 3 so we went home where it was still clear and watched a bit more untill we had "systems failure" shortly after 3. It wasn't the "storm" that been promised the last few years but pretty good anyway.
The meteors that appeared to originate from Leo (LEOnids, get it?) and fan out from there are Leonids, any that were going in any other direction are called "sporadics" and occure on any night. Each day our planet is hit by thousands of TONS of rock and dust from space most of which is no larger than a grain of sand or rice. It's the bigger ones that cause trouble

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-18-2001 04:24 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IF a meteoroid made it all the way through the atmosphere as a meteor, landed on the ground to become a meteorite you could probably walk right up to it and pick it up with your bare hands. It wouldn't be glowing hot, although it might be warm to the touch. The material that makes the meteor glow when it's falling through the atmosphere is all burned away, leaving just a piece of rock (or whatever) behind when it lands.

There are lots of accounts of meteor-oids/ites hitting houses and junk. Something I'd like to see someday as long as it's not MY house where it lands!

Bob Maar

- posted 11-18-2001 09:16 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I walked along the coast of Rhode Island and settled in Fort Adams Park I had a spectacular view. It was a sight to behold. The only problem occured when 's house smashed into Jerry's as they were hurtled through the air. Yes, I saw it and I will deny it when they call me to court.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-18-2001 11:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad, . I've already printed out this page with your confession on it!!!!

Bob Maar

- posted 11-19-2001 06:28 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh .....They will never locate me, I am going into hiding now.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2001 09:29 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an update...
The "Space Weather" page says that the maximum shower rate came at 2:45 AM (pst) at a rate of 1000 Leonids per hour

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

David Scholmz
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2001 02:42 AM      Profile for David Scholmz   Email David Scholmz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i watched it
great show...i mean yea i was a little drunk but that made it even better!!!! id have to say i wish i caught it on tape.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-23-2001 01:40 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must have been really drunk, if you just are getting around to seeing them now.

I was born during the last great shower, back in 1966. I view them every time possible.

Joe, that one that crushed your house, that was mine. It was coming to pick me up but I was late due to traffic. Keep it warm for me.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: