Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Harry Potter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Harry Potter
Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2001 06:53 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only a few weeks to go before Harry Potter hits our screens. Probably most of you are at the stage of negotiating terms, as we are (ouch!).

Thing that struck us most was Warners confirmed running time was approx 2hrs30min! For what is essentially a kids film? Yeah i know a lot of adults are excited about it too, but two and a half hours? here in the UK, we are hoping for a PG certificate which basically means we can have any age in. Can you see 4 year olds sitting contendly for two and a half hours? Ok could make some revenue for the sales (sweets, etc), but it's a bit long!

What do you think?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-16-2001 07:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a good movie, they'll sit (with maybe a bathroom break or two!). If it's a bad movie, it doesn't matter if it's 60 minutes long, they'll be fidgeting.

I've never read any of the books, but I know how thick they are... So I would guess that they tried to work in as many of the details as they possibly could, because if they shortchanged the story at all, word of mouth will be terrible.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-17-2001 10:15 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think scarry movie two said it best.....

"Harry Pot Smoker"

Just my two cents

Josh

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2001 07:04 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should allow an Intermission for any picture running 2 ½ hours, especially for children. I just hope there will be a larger ratio of adults in the evenings anyway. Heard yesterday that the running time is 153 minutes, PG, Scope (Super 35).

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2001 02:15 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
has it been classified PG allready

------------------
Michael Brown
Head of projection
An un-disclosed cinema

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2001 05:51 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last i heard (Monday) it was still awaiting classification. We are fingers crossed for PG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2001 06:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
An intermission would be WONDERFUL for theaters to boost their concession sales! I doubt Warner will allow it though.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2001 07:09 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got the banner today and it had a PG on it.

Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2001 11:41 AM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Ahem*

That's "Harry Pot Head" in Scarry Movie 2

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2001 08:07 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Harry Potter today at an exhibitor screening at the GCC Franklin Mills 14 in Philadelphia. By my watch it clocked in at 2 hours 31 minutes, 30 seconds. About 2 hours and 25 of picture and 6 and one half minutes of credits.

The picture was very deliberate in getting where it was going but held the full attention of the 'intended audience' (anyone above about 8 years old who has read the book).

The problems we as exhibitors will face was graphically illustrated by the family sitting in the row in front of me. The family consisted of a father, mother and three children ages approx 12, 9 and 5. The 12 and 9 year old were enthralled. After about 30 minutes the 5 year old had enough and began to wander first between her parents (who were on either end of the kids), then throughout the row and then up and down the aisle(playing on the stadium risers). The father fell asleep; the exhasperated mother kept trying to alternately quiet and occupy the 5 year old.

For this parents should leave the real young ones (under 7) at home. (In my opinion it really pushes the envelope for a PG with many frightening scenes). However it is inevitable that the whole family will come along (including the real young ones) and the problems that I experienced will be repeated.

If any adult or filmgoer really wants to enjoy this film (and there is much to enjoy) I would seriously recommend waiting for a 9:30 PM (or later) show.

This was my first visit to the Franklin Mills and the presentation left much to be desired. The print (a wetgate studio dye transfer) was very dark particularly in the opening reels. As soon as it hit the screen there was a noticeable flicker. The picture had that fading dull look of a bulb on its last legs. When I finally went to the booth to complain about the sound (more on that below), I noticed that the bulb in the lamphouse (4,000 watts which should have sufficient) had over 18,000 hours on it. (The fallout from Chapter 11?) I got the impression that the projectionist felt that as long as the bulb still struck there was no need to change it.

The presentation was intended to be in DTS (which was the only digital format available for that screen). Well it was...Sort of. The print came with two discs which looked like they had home made in someone's CD burner. Disc One had reels 1,3,5, 7, and 9 and Disc 2 had reels 2,4, 6 and 8. A couple minutes into the feature Disc One quit and would not run anymore at all for the rest of the show. It was readily apparent that the analog was missing a good part of the center channel. Upon my complaint, it was explained to me that since they didn't use the analog much they had never bothered to optimize it. When the DTS worked, the sound was excellent. But the end result was 20 minutes of Analog and 20 minutes of Digital alternating throughout the show.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-25-2001 08:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure about that "wetgate studio dye transfer print"? What did you see that proved to you it was a dye transfer?

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2001 08:32 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It had the telltale small circle cue marks as opposed to the standard big black dots.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-25-2001 08:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But were the cue dots green? The size of the cue dots doesn't matter.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2001 08:48 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cue marks were brown and not green.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-25-2001 09:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of that. Mr.Pytlak???

In any case, that was not a dye transfer print.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: