Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Neato! Enlarging selection words at the bottom of the page (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Neato! Enlarging selection words at the bottom of the page
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2001 06:49 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty snazzy guys. Words that jump out at you when you pass the mouse over them. Cool.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2001 07:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the stereo sound when you click the link? I labored over a year just to create that sound! OK it was about 4 minutes in actuality. I like the brighter links as well. Whoever created the new bottom frame Flash file is obviously a god and we must send all of our money to him!

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-11-2001 07:31 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got the "No Bookmarking" page and had to use the old frameset. Actually, some bounced back to the homepage and some did the bookmarking thing.

Must be another MSIE thing. Works fine in Netscape.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2001 07:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's an Internet Explorer thing. And only Internet Explorer on the PC (IE works fine on Mac). For some reason IE is not reading the "No bookmarking" script correctly with the Flash file. Maybe it gets confused. Netscape is fine on both Windows and Mac. I'll look into it regardless.

Adam Martin

- posted 10-11-2001 07:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
In case it matters, I'm on MSIE v5.5 service pack 2. Shockwave 8 and Flash 5.0.

Maybe it's just the groovy George Michael CD that's playing. Otherwise, I think it is pretty cool.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-11-2001 07:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why Internet Explorer is a p.o.s. browser. (Joe or Scott, I think one of you needs to do a review.) Just remember, the site is written for Netscape, and if Internet Explorer happens to work, well that's ok I suppose. Also remember that any Internet Explorer browser that is called "version 6" is BETA and has bugs in the programming! (Same goes for Netscape 6. It is also beta.)

By the way, to this very day I am STILL getting emails from people wanting to know when the site will be back up...from that one day we went down A MONTH AGO!!! Sad how Internet Explorer caches pages like it does.

Moving this to Yak.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2001 08:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that was stressed when I was in computer/HTML school was that IE takes the HTML code much more liberally than Netscape does. This is so it is easy to program for and your HTML doesn't need to be exact... Microsoft fills in the blanks for you. Netscape is very exacting. Unfortunately IE is the only browser that supports sites with DHTML for the most part. DHTML sucks anyway in my opinion. But obviously IE is trying to fill in some blanks that are not there.

I tried messing around with the IE browser settings and there was nothing I could enable/disable to get it to work right. The advanced options are not very many. IE is obviously trying to interpret the Flash along with the script in a different way than intended. I double checked the Flash file, the script, and the HTML and there is nothing that can be changed in any of them because it is all correct already.

A review is in order.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2001 08:09 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have an older version of a page in your cache, all you have to do is hit Refresh. Simple.

Brad, a lot of people use IE. You should try to work the bugs out of both.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-11-2001 08:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, no "refresh" does NOT always solve a problem with IE cacheing. It is far from "simple" for a variety of reasons.

Also, I have been over and over this and no I will not waste my time rewriting code so that IE doesn't screw up the interpretation. Netscape code is straightforward and rock solid and is runnable on any browser. Writing code for an IE browser means that a LOT of people not using the IE browser will not be able to ...wait, why am I wasting my time with this yet again. Read the FAQ. You should have done this before participating here anyway. This is a non-negotiable discussion and my stance on the issue is made very clear. Read that page before you post again.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2001 09:31 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I did read the FAQ. I don't know about you, but some people don't remember everything they ever read. Now that you mention it, I will go back and read that section again.

I was not suggesting that you write the code so that it only works with IE. The new navigation bar on the bottom is the only problem I have ever had with this site. I have always used IE. Every college I've been to uses IE. School is where I spend a good portion of my web-browsing time, so I have no choice to use IE. Most sites work with both.

Joe: So why does the "no bookmarking" page come up when I click one of the links on the new navigation bar?

Adam Martin

- posted 10-11-2001 09:57 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken: Joe answered that question in his 7:36 post. Also, MSIE 5.5 SP2 running on Win98se will behave completely different from the same configuration running on WinME. I tried this with my laptop and Chris Belch's laptop. He's now using Netscape on WinME and enjoying the forums.

Joe: I think it may have something to do with the way the Windows versions of IE carry document.referer info in page requests from embedded objects as opposed to regular page requests. The world may never know.

Brad: Sorry I opened this can o' worms.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2001 10:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some new theories that I would like to try. Ideally IE should understand strict code, but the "no bookmarking" script has not been defined as "javascript" so IE may be interpreting it differently than intended when coupled with a Flash file. Basically IE is not recognizing that the Flash file is on the site (in a sense). It's as if you're linking to it from your desktop or another site.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-11-2001 10:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes shit happens, Ken. One day we might have a server crash. Another day some idiot at the phone company chops the server lines. The next week I might accidentally upload the wrong file, or perhaps write some bad code in a file. Are you losing money here? Is this a pay site? No. Today Joe was writing some new Flash coding and as it turns out there are a few people out there who are having problems. Of course none of this is intentional, but I can really do without the people who send emails and make posts telling me what I should be doing with the way this website is ran. There is a fine line between commanding and suggesting.

That being said, many thanks to the people who did send me friendly and informative emails with the necessary specifics of their system needed to figure out where the problem lies. We'll get it fixed. In the meantime, there's always that bypass link on the main page to bring things back to the way they were. Joe, Scott and myself cannot possibly maintain computers of every vintage and version to troubleshoot these things before they go online and even if we did, none of us have that kind of time to spare.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-11-2001 11:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No wonder iCab started misbehaving lately.

You wanna see a browser that interprets HTML strict?
Up in the top corner, just beneath the "throbber" there is a little smiley face that tells you if the page you are on "strictly" conforms to the HTML standards. I have seen ONE site that gets a smile.

Adam Martin

- posted 10-11-2001 11:15 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what, Joe? You're right. I didn't even notice that about the script when I looked at it. I wonder if Apache has a module option that will just have the http server check the referrer? I saw some stuff in the Apache 1.3 URL Rewriting Guide, but I don't know enough about the software to decipher it all. Maybe Scott can answer that one, assuming that the film-tech server is running on Apache.

IE 6.0 does have a "fix" for that strictness thing. There is a tag (something like <!doctype> ) that should be placed on the first line of a file to specify what standard is to be followed when displaying the page. Unfortunately, that one improvement came with about 100 unrelated glitches which render the new version as useless as the last.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: