Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » stop the madness...E.T. getting re-edited..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: stop the madness...E.T. getting re-edited.....
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-10-2001 06:52 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK...please stop the madness....according to www.cinecon.com a line in E.T. is getting changed because they used the word terrorist in it....next thing you know terrorist will no longer be in the dictionary.....

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-10-2001 07:30 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Grrr... absolutely ludicrous. Then again, the article states that the audio and *video* have been renovated.

In other news, excerpts from the script for ET2 have leaked to the press ... http://www.bubblegun.com/features/etii.html

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-11-2001 03:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Drew Barrymore still fighting for the digital removal of the guns in the movie too?

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2001 02:39 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1988 video release already had the line "You're not going as a terrorist!" removed. The reissue is supposed to have the guns taken out as well.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2001 07:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In other news, excerpts from the script for ET2 have leaked to the press ...

Yeeesh. That is the most tasteless thing I've read since last month's Maxim magazine.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2001 11:35 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told, but it wasnt confirmed, that penis breath was also taken out.....anyone know anything about this?

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2002 06:19 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this up top to coincide with re-release.

I saw E.T. once (on video) and found it weak. The fact that people are willing to swallow Reaganite fantasies says something about how big that movie was back in the day.

Hey, if they're gonna re-release 80's movies, why not re-release Rambo: First Blood Part 2?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-19-2002 07:25 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, That is totally nuts!!!!

Why don't they remove the word "Hemorrhoid" from a Preparation H commercial? It is just about as stupid......

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-19-2002 07:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought E.T. was boring as well, but it had nothing to do with Ronald Reagan!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-19-2002 11:24 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved ET, and that other great speilberg movie, "Batteries Not Included".

I can see why they pulled the guns out, because everyone knows that if an FBI guy has a gun, he shoots it. No one got shot, so out go the guns. Otherwise we could have ET2:THE BLOODBATH.

Now that would be entertaining.

Dave

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 12:14 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I saw E.T. on opening night in 70mm... and it worked quite well that way. Seeing it years later on video and immediately calling it "weak" isn't quite fair. I suppose I'll see it again next week and decide if it still works (in 35mm).

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 12:33 AM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If word "terrorist" will be removed from dictionaries then our sons won't know the meaning of it and it'll be more dangerous than current days. I believe in "If There's a positive side, There's a negative side". In our world exist good people and bad people. If you want to defeat your enemies you'll need to stay as closest as you can, so you know all its weaks points. They shouldn't put a "douser" in ours son's eyes because we let them green light to terrorism.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-20-2002 05:30 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have seen the movie, and understand the comic reference to the word "terrorist" in the film, then you understand the need for removal. Now that terrorism has raised to a whole new horrific level, it is no longer funny to refer to anyone as a terrorist without referring to them as a murderer or person of complete and total hatred of all mankind.

And I don't think that it becomes a precursor to elimination, just a proper placement of the word in our new world. It used to be that gay meant to be happy, and now if you say you are gay, you are automatically assumed that you are really really happy!!! Usage and placement of words go through changes from generation to generation. I wouldn't be worried about the loss of the word, at least I understand that Penis Breath will still be there, according to the editing staff for the re-mix.

Dave

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-21-2002 02:26 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I accept that argument in terms of the dialogue for new films being made now, but you can't alter history. The word 'terrorist' had a specific meaning when that film was made and if people can't deal with the fact that you have to exercise some judgement when you're dealing with any film/book/play/TV show which was made a significantly long time ago, then they're a bit sad. Would you rename the The Gay Divorce just because the commonly understood meaning of 'gay' has changed since that film was made?

Reminds me of when The Dam Busters was on telly over Christmas, and thanks to the marvels of ADR the black labrador had been renamed 'Tigger'. I've also seen another version in which all references to and shots of the dog are completely removed. If members of minority groups can't deal with the fact that the 'N' word is unacceptable now but was regarded rather differently in 1952, then IMHO that's their problem. Besides, the 'N' word was used extensively in Pulp Fiction and no-one tried to censor that.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 02:44 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Censorship is bad; retroactive censorship doubly so.

And somehow the fact that Speilberg is doing this voluntarily makes it even more disgusting.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: