Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bus Trouble

Author Topic: Bus Trouble
Freddie Dobbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2001 09:30 AM      Profile for Freddie Dobbs   Email Freddie Dobbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, The local news just announced that a Greyhound bus crashed due to a passenger slitting the drivers throat, this happend 30 miles south of Nashville..The are saying it is a terrorist attack. It makes me wonder if they are jumping the gun ......

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2001 09:36 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happened around Manchester (I-24).

Here is a link to the story from the Tennessean:
http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/01/08/buswreck.shtml

Here is another:
www.newschannel5.com (Channel 5 in Nashville has it as their top story at the moment).

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2001 09:37 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read several reports online that it isnt a terrorist attack, that it was some Croatian guy. Besides, wouldnt they have blown it up or something if it was a terrorist attack? Alot of the people just have minor injuries from the crash.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2001 09:37 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Copy cat terrorists? What next?

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2001 09:40 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.cnn.com (CNN) is reporting that authoriites are saying this attack was not terrorism.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-03-2001 10:41 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
don't forget we have terrorisim in our own country that has nothing to do with anyone from another country or anything to do with the acts of sept. 11TH.......Oaklahoma city comes to mind....

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2001 12:21 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds much more like a random violent act, rather than organized terrorism. Investigators will, more than likely, find the perp either had some severe mental issues or was under the influence of something.

Freddie Dobbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2001 07:44 AM      Profile for Freddie Dobbs   Email Freddie Dobbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this just goes to show what "state" our news media is in, it seems that every thing that happens is considered "terrorist act" first then the truth shows up 1/2 day later.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-04-2001 11:16 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Freddie! I was just going to say the same thing.
I think the news is getting "trigger happy". It's kind of like a "decompression" thing. They have been so jacked up for the last three weeks that they are reporting every little detail as if it were a "possible terrorist attack".

That can be a good thing, keeping us on our toes, but I think they are going overboard. I think they need to delay some news stories like this for a few minutes to an hour to give themselves time to sort it out.

Just like that airline in India...
At first, it was reported as a "possibe" attack. Then it was a "probable" attack. After a couple hours it was found out that the plane was NEVER in danger. It turned out that some idiot called in a threat to the control tower and they radioed the pilot that he should take precautions. He locked himself into the cockpit. (The right thing to do.) Of course, the passengers noticed something was up and assumed the worst. People on either side of the cockpit door assumed that the other was in trouble. Nobody was talking to each other.
When the plane got onto the ground at its destination, the military surrounded the plane and found out that there was no danger.
That's all well and good. What happened was probably what SHOULD have happened. Being careful is good.

However, I was listening to the news on the radio last night. (Driving in the car.) NPR news was reporting "possible" attack, then they reported that it was a "false alarm". I switched over to a feed from the local TV station. THEIR news was reporting that the plane was ACTUALLY under the attack! NPR and BBC news had already "cleared" the incident, more than a half hour before! The local TV station never even bothered to get updates before they went on-air with the story!

If I had the phone number to the station I would have called them up on the cell phone and cussed them out. I'm still thinking about it if I can figure out what station it was. It was "channel 6" from western Virginia, in the area of Wytheville, VA.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2001 12:19 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy: The station you'd want to chew out is WVVA in Bluefield WV.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-05-2001 12:24 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!
Let me think about it for a while, but I think I'm going to fire off a nasty e-mail about it.

Freddie Dobbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 09:24 AM      Profile for Freddie Dobbs   Email Freddie Dobbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know if the "News Media" is held to any type of standards? I am refering to legal standards for accuracy.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 06:34 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have spent a majority of my life in and around television stations and newscasts, and the only accountability is to the dollar. More than once I have seen news stories changed, or dropped, because of advertising conflicts. I once had a general manager tell me that the news is just the stuff between the commercials. You all should see what happens up here in Alaska with the oil companies. According to out local news, big oil can do no wrong. Anything concerning a spill or what would be considered anti-oil is downplayed or ignored.
But then most of the local newscasts here are sponsored by British Petrolem (sp?), and Phillips 66. You can forget about "media standards" the only standards are business as usual. Not that I'm not a capitalist myself, but the death of serious broadcast journalism due the MBAs in the front office is something of a pet peeve of mine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: