Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Lawrence of Arabia 70mm Hits the UK (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lawrence of Arabia 70mm Hits the UK
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2001 02:33 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the National Museum of photography film and television from oct 12th. Does anyone know about this print i.e. the soundtrack ect.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-29-2001 04:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is the Toronto Print it is format 43 SR on all 6 mag tracks

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-01-2001 03:02 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's the restoration by Robert Harris, then the 70mm prints were 6-track SR (though for some reason, the 35mm reduction prints released here were only A-type).

But could this be a pre-restoration print? The last I heard, which admittedly was two years ago, two reels had gone missing at Perivale (the distributor's depot in west London) from the one 70mm restoration print which was still in the UK. If this is an original release print then whatever the soundtrack, it will probably be seriously pink by now.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2001 08:26 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So its not going to be DTS or anything like that?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-01-2001 09:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The restoration predates DTS (if I'm remembering correctly, the restored version was released in 1988 or thereabouts) and as far as I know, no new 70mm prints have been made of the restored version since 70mm DTS has been around.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2001 11:04 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It also to be screened (I belive) in 70mm at the Harbour Lights Picture House (Southampton) on the weekend of 6th & 7th October.

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2001 01:23 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that there were a few 70mm DTS prints struck in 1999, but that they suffered from rather sever color timing flaws. I believe Scott Norwood knew something about these...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-01-2001 09:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard of any 70mm DTS of LOA

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-01-2001 11:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The poorly timed LOA print that was struck in 1999 was mag. There has been talk of DTS 70mm prints for the reissue, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up going with mag. Apparnetly the color timing issues resulted from the new print being struck by a different lab than the one where it was timed in 1989 (the original lab has since gone out of business). Robert Harris can explain the details of this better than any of us can.

As far as I know, this title is currently out of release in the US in both 35mm and 70mm pending an upcoming reissue.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2001 02:42 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo / Michael

The print is indeed the restored one that was at Perivale with missing reels. Replacement reels have been struck and are 6 track SR. We are screening it 12 - 15 October.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2001 06:48 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cool

Can you predict an aproximate running time?

Are you showing on the flat screen or the curve?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2001 07:02 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
228 minutes + intermission .

In other words if you come to the 7pm screenings the pubs will be closed by the time you get out

And after all that sand you'll need a few beers

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-02-2001 07:49 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dick then maybe the theatre should provide a private after hours location. The 70mm print in canada is still in circulation

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-02-2001 09:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to hear that there's a complete 70mm print back in circulation. I might even be coaxed up the A59 for that one...

Any idea who footed the bill for the reprinting of the missing two reels? The last I heard about this in '99, City Screen were trying to book it for their 70mm sites but weren't able to because of the lost reels and a row over who (if anyone) would be willing to pay for their replacements.

By the way, Dick - would I be right in thinking flat screen? Didn't David Lean have the curved screen in the Odeon Marble Arch removed and replaced with a flat one for LOA because he said it distorted the Arabian skyline?

As for the beer at least we'll get one in the intermission (and it'll be out of our system for the drive home afterwards).

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2001 07:58 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beer or not beer...
The discrete 5-channel mix on the pre-restoration prints still was much better, instead of the Dolby way with every bit of dialogue coming out of one hole...

/ p.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: