Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Terrorist on Film Tech???? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Terrorist on Film Tech????
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 02:20 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past week or so there have been a number of discussions in the Film Tech pages about the WTC massacre. During that time I have voiced my opinions about various things under various topics. It seems as though one of us is not satisfied with simply arguing the issues. In one day I got two virus laden emails. Normally I would just shrug it off. These things happen. However the second virus was sent anonymously. This is quite uncommon and is to me highly suspect. Shortly there after I received a note saying that I had been sent an e-greeting card. Upon going to the site to retrieve the card, I got a note from the web host that said that the site had been shut down by him(?) and it would not be allowed back up. Further if anyone had received any kind of greeting card from that site they should delete it and any files that it contained or were down loaded. This evidence leads me to believe that there is a "terrorist" (if you will) on the Film Tech Forums. This person(s) apparently is not satisfied with simple discussion(s) nor apparently do they believe in freedom of speech unless it agrees with their personal beliefs. What ever their intention was, I have been unaffected. My views have not and will not change, nor will I spend any time other than the time to compose this warning to others, trying to find out who did it. But I doubt there is anyone (except the perpetrator) who will not agree that this type of behavior is pretty pathetic. This note is just a reminder to those who post on Film Tech that there are those who will resort to this type of behavior even here on this forum, and all who voice their views should remain on guard and vigilant against terrorism in any form.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 02:59 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just film-tech. Every forum/chat site I've checked during the past two weeks has had significantly increased hostility among members. There is something about the type of tragedy we had, with the mixed opinions and emotions thrown in, that tends to amplify people's emotions when responding and makes personal attacks worse everywhere. This is happening on normally peaceful USENET groups I read, as well as on WWW forum sites that are normally fun and peaceful. I think it will pass soon, though.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-23-2001 03:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the last week I have recieved 3 infected emails from closed hotmail or yahoo email accounts. I think this is probably a common problem with a comercial list being circulated of email address that has gone astray

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-23-2001 06:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a new worm going around, called NIMDA. One guy I know (who works in Fairfax Virginia) has been spending all weekend taking preventive measures and/or disinfecting nearly 10,000 computers. Greg and Gordon's case may be isolated, but this worm spreads itself.

Non-members can't participate in the forum, but anyone can read it. I'm surprised I haven't gotten viruses from TES

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-23-2001 06:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got done fdisking and reloading Windows ME on my computer at home. We have ME on just about every computer at work and it seems to be more robust and more tolerant of viruses than other OS's do. The computer also runs faster for some reason (according to SiSoft Sandra).Fortunately I didn't loose anything. When things start acting wierd I save all the files I need to and then re do the drive. All important stuff is stored on two other mirrored drives anyway. All is well now.
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-23-2001 06:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is opinions voiced that one should reformat a drive and do a clean install every year to keep a system in top form

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 10:02 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even I, here at WebTV, have gotten over 15 of those "Hi, how's it going? emails with attachments in the last 3 days.

One of them had an exact message that I recognized, but I didn't open it since I didn't know the sender. WebTV has told me that viruses can't be loaded into my system, but I wont take any chances.

I think that this might be just the tip if the iceberg.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 11:00 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a report on NIMDA on TechTV. The danger of this virus is that you don't have open attachnments, necessarily, to become infected. By just visiting an infected site, the virus can infiltrate your system.

The show I was watching (The Screen Savers) recomended that users of Windows platforms use Windows update to patch the problem.
Or goto www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com to download the patch.
The patch is 7mb, but very valuable.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-24-2001 12:34 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll write a virus or worm that affects WebTV users (for Bruce) and BeOS users, since they probably feel lonely. Maybe I'll also make it infect obsolete OS's like NeXTStep as well.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2001 02:54 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have received umpteen viral emails, and also lately I've noticed that a lot of web sites are infected with something called Java JC Exploitaion virus. I run Norton AntiVirus set to scan all files, and it picks that one up several times a day.

Greg you are being overly paranoid, I watched that thread closely, and don't necessarily agree with all of you or others opinions. Does that make me a terrorist??

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-24-2001 03:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too got the e-greeting card and a message from an anonymous address, both last Thursday, which was detected by Norton Antivirus as being infected with W32/Magistr.b@MM virus. I have two e-mail addresses - one I use to subscribe to listservs (which is also the address on my entry in this board) and another which is purely personal and doesn't get given to anyone who might pass it into the hands of spam e-mailers.

When I went to the e-greeting card page it tried to run a VBS script. I've blocked these on Internet Explorer and refused to let that one run, so if it did contain any nasty code I think I've avoided it.

Both suspect e-mails went to my 'public' address. A lot of people have that address, but given that Greg received an identical set of messages this would seem to indicate that something funny is going on.

Either that or 14 year-old Andrew Wotshisface is up to his old tricks again...

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2001 07:56 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel left out. Nobody sends me virus emails. Since I read my email with Agent, which is text only, it wouldn't make any difference. I'm much more concerned with java and "improved" html and how they apparently doesn't stay in the sandbox. Unless I'm visiting a trusted site, I now surf with java off, or through anonymizer.

Greg, sorry to hear you are having problems with emailed viruses. We might disagree strongly in our views, but I can't see myself or anyone else who is trying to suggest tolerant viewpoints doing something so intolerant and agressive. However, you do make a good point about watching out for personal terrorism, and I'll be on the lookout for evidence of it.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2001 09:02 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I watched that thread closely, and don't necessarily agree with all of you or others opinions. Does that make me a terrorist??"

Only if you engage in terrorist activities. Disagreement is the norm, you are entitled to disagree and voice that dissension. Freedom of speech is one of the building blocks of our nations greatness.

as far as being paranoid, you're right I am. But, as I understand the MO of viruses and e-mail terrorists the idea is to make the virus look as though it came from someone you know. An anonymous email with attached virus would not seem to fit with that and might suggest deliberate intent. Also a greeting card sent specifically to someone with attached virus....well that's getting a bit personal. But you are right, it could be a coincidence

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2001 10:02 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe:

If you are writing a program to kill WebTV users, its too late. MSN-TV that now handles WebTV has beat you to it!

I am working on a newer computer RIGHT NOW and will have it going and online soon.

I take all these viruses seriously. This is another form of terrorism to me. These people that write these shit virus programs and send them out to others are equally as guilty as the ones that pass them on knowingly.

Something that bothers me is that I, too have multiple email addresses. The one that I use only for family has been spammed several times in the last few days. There are only 5 people with this address, or, so I thought...

The one that I use for all the newsgroups, etc, is loaded with spam.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2001 10:47 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still read my email on a UNIX machine before I use Outlook to download it to a PC. When looking at the messages on the UNIX machine, I go ahead and delete any messages that are junk, and then only download the messages that have attachments (that are work-related or expected) after filtering them in this way.

The "Mail" command on UNIX knows nothing about MIME attachments, so there is no way to get a virus or to have anything malicious happen if this type of message filtering is done, unless someone I work with sends a document as an attachment and doesn't know it's infected.

I've gotten plenty of email virus messages, but they've gone straight to the bit-bucket before having a chance to get to my PC.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: