Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What's up Doc (remake)

Author Topic: What's up Doc (remake)
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2001 08:45 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I was just reading again through all the posts about Moulin Rouge and I came across my earlier post when I talked about what a great film 'What's Up Doc' was.

This made me think - it has been 30 or so years and we are just about due for a remake. Who could you cast in the lead roles?

Here's a review of the film for those unfamiliar
http://rinkworks.com/movies/m/whats.up.doc.1972.shtml

I would get Peter Bogdanovich to again direct this film as he did such a great job with the original.

Casting for the film's lead female role would be very, very hard. How do you top (as in 'you're the top') Barbara Streisand's great performance in the lead role?

You would need a competent singer with charm and a great actress with a killer smile. Rene Zellweger can do comedy but can't, as far as I know, sing. Nicole Kidman can act but I can't see her doing great comedy or having a strong enough voice to carry the solos in this film. Celine Dion can sing but I don't know if she can act. Don't even mention Gwyneth Paltrow. Horrors!

Mike Myers is a versatile comedy actor. He could do a great Howard Bannister no doubt.

I am at a loss to think who could hold down the role of Judy Maxwell. I would be tempted to look towards a young French actress to provide the necessary charm however there still is the problem of finding one who can sing well enough.

After much thought I can only come up with one person who could hold down the role successfully.

My choice would be... wait for it... Emma Bunton. Yes - that's right. Baby Spice.

Here's why. She has good looks and a killer smile. She has been in one of the words most successful bands, She can even sing a bit! I don't know whether the Spice Girls movie qualifies her as an actress but I think that she is a talented individual who could probably carry the role.

I think she could do a great Judy Maxwell. I'm sure the film would get good sales in the UK and Australia at least.

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2001 10:23 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Now, who will play Eunice Bannister? Madeline Kahn had that irritating voice and just the right attitude. Who could replace her?

I remember seeing WUD the first night of release in my town. It was a packed house, and by the end, everybody was in pain from all the laughing.

I'd like to replace Mabel Anderson, too, but with whom? She played the rich lady with the identical bag.

There are no real charactor actors anymore.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2001 10:29 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Now, who will play Eunice Bannister? Madeline Kahn had that irritating voice and just the right attitude. Who could replace her?

I remember seeing WUD the first night of release in my town. It was a packed house, and by the end, everybody was in pain from all the laughing.

I'd like to replace Mabel Anderson, too, but with whom? She played the rich lady with the jewels in her bag.

There are no real charactor actors anymore.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2001 08:00 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might make a change to my earlier selection for the lead role.

As posted elsewhere I have just returned from a viewing of 'Get Over It' with Kirsten Dunst. I have not seen this actress before but I was impressed with both her singing and acting ability.

I think she could hold down the lead role in a remake of 'What's Up Doc. What do you think?

As for a replacment for Madeline Khan - how about Nicole Kidman?

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: