Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Scene missing from print of Jay and Silent Bob

Author Topic: Scene missing from print of Jay and Silent Bob
Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2001 01:30 AM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to an article in the Seattle Times, a Seattle area theater has been showing "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" since it's opening weekend without the Scooby Doo scene. They will continue to show it until the replacement footage is expected to arrive on Thursday. The theater is The Grand Cinema Alderwood, owned by Lowes Cineplex.

The article

|  IP: Logged

Joshua Voorhies
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2001 02:31 AM      Profile for Joshua Voorhies   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Voorhies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoever wrote that article must be a loser reporter. They're trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2001 04:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite said he has no idea how the scene got left out.

Well, either the theater had a brain wrap during that scene and the projectionist/manager carefully edited out the entire thing and is not admitting to it, or they received a screener print from a theater that had the same problem (or a scum projectionist who really, really liked that scene and decided it needed a new home).

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2001 03:47 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua: That is NOT "trying to make a big deal out of nothing". That is grounds for Miramax to remove Jay & Silent Bob from that theater.

Remember the Utah theater that censored Titanic and As Good as It Gets? Paramount yanked Titanic and billed the theater for the cost of a new print! That's a good $3,500 at least. Sony yanked As Good as It Gets and blacklisted the theater -- no more Sony product playing there!

Remember the Cincinnati arthouse that censored The Center of the World? Artisan yanked the print after learning of the censorious act. That theater is damn lucky it didn't get blacklisted by Artisan.

Another black eye for Loews Cineplex -- Chapter 11, declining standards, now this! Miramax is too busy putting together ads stuffed with nothing but pull quotes and newspaper logos.

BTW, Miramax can't even get half the theaters in the New York metro listed correctly in newspaper ads.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2001 03:41 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles,

I work for LCE and judt though youd like to know....

LCE Is in very good financial shape now. CHP. 11 helped the company Tremendously.

2. I can attest that at my theatre we have high standards of quality.

3.How do you know that they just cant get a replacement reel. Maybr there dropping that print thursday so Miramax said screw it?

------------------
--Sean McKinnon
Manager
Loews Cineplex Entertainment
Liberty Tree Mall 20
Danvers, Mass
www.enjoytheshow.com

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2001 08:38 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Scoopy Doo was a funny scene but it didn't exactly make the entire movie. The article almost makes it out to seem that people came in just to see that one scene because they saw it in the trailer. Didn't we already have a thread about scenes or dialogue that are in the trailer but not in the actual movie?

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2001 02:52 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Charles, how can you be sure the theatre cut the scene out.
Im not ruling out the possibility that someone may have cut it out for fun, or that the whole scene was destroyed during a film break (unlikely), but there is always the possibility (however slight) that the reel was processed without the scene.
Im not sure how this would happen, but it seems possible

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2001 07:17 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Jay & Silent Bob (not at a Loews) and the Scooby Doo scene was intact.

Sean, James: See my post under "Attention Managers and Owners" in Ground Level for a story about how Loews is doing now.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2001 12:17 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that there was a film break. I once had "O brother where art thou" jump a roller on the platter tree & it burned up the final lake scene.

But, Technicolor shipped us a replacement reel overnight & we had it on there by the second show the next day. There's no reason why this place shouldn't be able to do the same.

------------------
http://www.mullerfamilytheatres.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: