Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Office Decor

Author Topic: Office Decor
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2001 05:51 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my booth, we have a little nook that overlooks the theater's back hallway. In it, we've got a couple of desks, toolboxes, and a couch should a morning shift follow a late night repair.

But we've just lately added a few things to the "Office." It used to be surrounded by a cublicle wall and a couple of old standees. Inside, it was just memos & movie pins, but yesterday, our booth manager brought in a fake houseplant (his grandma's suggestion), a garden gnome, and posters for Pulp Fiction, the Matrix, and one of Marilyn Monroe.

I'm gonna bring in a Fight Club poster I've got, but I'd like to know what everybody has in their "Offices" besides memos & film supplies.

------------------
http://www.mullerfamilytheatres.com

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2001 06:00 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My office which I'm leaving in about a week (*sniffle*) for a new job is decorated with mylars, the walls are covered! The office is very small and about half the walls are covered...no certain movie types, just anything we pulled off the boards. Other then that just pin boards with everything from memos, supervisor and manager pictures, a ballon anthony send me that says "I love you", and a kermit the frog doll one of my employees found in a theater.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 08-30-2001 07:46 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel, Hopefully you are getting ready for your wedding for which we all wish you God's speed. Then you will be working in a new theatre and will continue to be a contributing member here at Film-tech.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2001 01:11 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
computer terminals, safes, a counter, chairs, paper clips, and rubberbands... Ahhhhh... Home

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2001 02:46 AM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I built a corner shelf that has a lamp, some commonly used binders with reports, some of my favorite pictures, and some of my favorite toys. I've got a fake plant under that, some framed letters from my various bosses (to boost my ego) on the walls, and some frame de-motivational posters I got from despair.com (very funny). I let everyone know that they are just a gag, so we don't have any confusion. I've got a window that overlooks the lobby, which is nice. Then the normal stuff like desk, computer, bulliten board, etc.

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2001 11:37 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, lemme think here... Two desks, two computer desk/workstations, video surviellence equip, framed Strip Tease and Barb Wire 1-sheets, a framed Pinehurst (NC) golf themed photo, file cabinets, theatre memo's, rules/regulations, cork board with schedules, personl photos, notes, etc, microwave, storage boxes and the tool box.

I think that's it. Oh, and the trusty old radio, of course.

BTW, Rachel, what new job are you taking, if I might ask? I see that Bob says it's another theatre?

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-01-2001 01:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My office is really small and doubles as the box office, so it's gotta be kept at least some semblance of neat. Stuff like posters, safe, supplies, etc. is all enclosed in a row of cabinets.

The only "decor" is a collection of movie title logos from one-sheets that I've cut-out over the years and pasted on the otherwise-boring cabinet door, and a clock made out of a cartoon-sized film reel that I got from some friends in California. Other than that, the usual office stuff (computer, phone, answering machine, printers, file cabinet, stack of Boxoffice magazines, and a couple of binders).

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2001 05:52 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Jason, now I work for the Patriot Cinemas, Museum Place (3 Screen) but I am moving over a town to the Hollywood Hits (7 Screen) theater. Both are sub-run. I'm the GM of Museum Place but I'm taking a cut to be a regular manager at HH with more pay.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2001 03:20 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel,

Maybe you wont be GM anymore but youre going to work with good people who will respect you and wont treat you like garbage (Just my personal disgruntled opinion.)

ps. Hey now maybe youre not working for my old bosses you wont have to pretend youre not my friend anymore (inside joke)

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2001 12:28 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Hey, I will be working for your old bosses, just a different set. (Boy do you get around!) I happened to like Patriot, as you know. I just needed more money.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2001 07:01 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Rach, I just love to give you a hard time
We still going to boston on wednesday?

Geoffrey Weiss
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2001 11:00 AM      Profile for Geoffrey Weiss   Email Geoffrey Weiss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manager's office at the Vogue (built 1939) was right off the inner lobby and, since the door was often open, customers could glance in. So in 1973, a new owner painted a two-color Charlie Chaplin on the far wall. It stayed there until the theatre closed in 1998 and now I'm afraid it's peeling off due to lack of A/C in the place for three years.

Other items included an 8x10 of Gary Cooper posing in his "High Noon" costume, a bookshelf stuffed with movie reference books and sci-fi (the manager's personal stash), a floor safe with the door/combination lock in the top, an old, blue, wooden desk, and a theatre-style chair in the corner between the bookshelves and the lobby A/C unit so you could sit and talk to the manager. Once every six weeks the room would be littered with glue, clippings and chart tape as the manager laid out the calender (the Vogue was a rep house from 1973-1995).

Ahh ... nostalgia.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2001 11:08 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAHAHA thats funny Sean! Who would want to be seen with you?

j/k

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2001 01:36 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel,

ha ha ha

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 02:39 AM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my office I have the basics (desk, comp, fax, file cabinets). I have the walls decorated with old movie posters, pictures of my staff, autographed pics from celebs and pics of older, cool looking theatres along with the 2 Trans Lux Theatre pics that Bob Maar sent to me...Thanks Bob!!!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: