Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Monsters Inc. vs. Harry Potter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Monsters Inc. vs. Harry Potter
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-20-2001 02:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, it's time for another round of predictions in the Family Film Wars.

Last year, Film-Techers accurately predicted that THE GRINCH would eat 102 DALMATIANS for lunch.

Then this spring, Film-Techers also were accurate in predicting that DreamWorks' SHREK would walk all over Disney's ATLANTIS.

So what will happen this year? Will MONSTERS INC. out-scare HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE? Let the predictions begin!

I think they will both do outstanding business but I think when the dust settles, Disney/Pixar will have the winner if not by a landslide, by a small margin. What's everyone else think? Holiday season this year is shaping up to be a good one, IMHO.

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 08-20-2001 02:23 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

IMHO Harry Potter will be hugh in the urban areas, with Monsters in the burbs. In the end Harry out the Monster by $10,342,564.52 gross by January 5th at 2:15 in the afternoon.

P.S. My guess will be closer than but I do get nervous around guess.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2001 03:08 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also think they will both do great, but Monsters Inc will have the upper hand. Lets face it, Pixar has not had a dud yet, though there is a first time for everything (crosses fingers since we are booked for Monsters Inc).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-20-2001 03:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pixar rules! Disney has lost the upper deck, thats for sure. Even Julie Andrews couldn't save Disney.........
Mark @ GTS

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2001 04:12 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Pixar's pretty damn good and I've enjoyed every picture of their's so far. But Potter's a children's book phenomenon. And even though I don't care much for Chris Columbus, I do think Harry Potter will beat out Monsters Inc. It just looks like it'll be a lot of fun and the Hedwig Theme from John Williams is generating a positive buzz for both the soundtrack and the movie. If it's anything like the book, it'll be a real treat.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2001 05:21 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a tough one. We're showing trailers of both right now, with audience reaction about even. Monsters, Inc. will have the upper hand at the beginning with the earlier release date, but I think the Potter following will ultimately prevail. Both will do big business, with Harry coming out on top by the handle of a broomstick.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-20-2001 05:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of the "Harry Potter" phenomenon, but I don't think it will translate to the big screen quite like what Warner Bros. is hoping. With previous flops bearing success in other formats like "Tomb Raider" and "Final Fantasy", I cannot say "Harry Potter" is a guaranteed hit. Also if printed success is to translate to big screen success then all those damned Pokemon movies should be the top money earners at the box office. I don't even have any kids of my own and I am sick to death of the Pokemon fad.

A really bad sign (for me anyway) is how WB is showing so much of "Harry Potter" in the previews. I almost feel like I don't need to see the movie after having seen so much in the trailer. There might be a ratio to go by on how much of a film gets shown in trailers versus the film's actual quality. The more they show, the more it stinks.

"Monsters Inc" on the other hand has a specifically designed teaser not from the film. I don't know much about it. But the teaser was simple, funny and cool looking. Pixar is also very consistent about putting together good stuff. The joy these guys at Pixar have in creating the film also comes out in their exemplary work as well. So I am more excited about seeing this film than "Harry Potter".

I also think "Monsters Inc" is going to do better business. I would say $175 million domestic for "Monsters Inc" versus a generous $100 million guess for "Harry Potter".

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2001 06:19 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Disney corporate hype vs. AOL Time Warner corporate synergy. Look what Disney corporate hype did opposite Mr. Grinch and Lara Croft. Didn't sell a lot of Happy Meals, did it?

Monsters, Inc. will get 2 weeks business. THEN . . . Harry Potter comes along and blows everything away until The Lord of the Rings at Xmas.

Me? I'm looking forward to Harry Potter. I even saw the trailer in front of The Princess Diaries (Disney) this past weekend. Monsters, Inc.? Thanks, but no thanks. Remember, Harry Potter opens the Friday before Thanksgiving -- just like The Grinch did.

Another good sign: The UA Union Square already has "Coming Soon: Harry Potter" on the marquee at Broadway & 13th.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-20-2001 07:02 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet Harry Potter will sell a lot of tickets in the short run but Monsters, Inc. will have steady ticket sales throughout its release.

Harry Potter will do big business in the first two or three weeks of release. Then all the kids will have seen it and think it's not as good as the book. After that the business will drop off to a trickle.

Monsters, Inc., on the other hand may get crushed by Harry Potter for a couple of weeks but I think it'll have better "legs". Then, of course we'll receive another "blooper reel" for the end of the movie and we'll get a couple more weeks out of it.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2001 11:59 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll be the one to go against the conventional wisdom of the thread, but I think Potter will open HUGE (potentially biggest opening ever, that's my prediction) and will have fairly good legs considering the opening. The books are not only popular with kids, but many adults as well (including me). While I do think Monsters Inc will do extremely well, I don't think it is the phenomenon that Harry Potter will be.

I'll also go on a limb and say Harry Potter will do better than Fellowship of the Ring.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2001 01:02 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailer wise, Ice Age would kill both of them at the box office.

As for which will win, I think Monsters Inc. will but I will just be glad if both are good movies and will enjoy them (I think too many people will nitpick at what they think Harry Potter should be like.)

And as for Harry Potter getting more than LOTR. There is absolutely *no* way that will happen. Especially with the huge international fan base LOTR has.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2001 01:42 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monsters is one of those movies that people will go to see because of the interesting storyline and top-notch animation. It will do really well, with probably no less than $60 million on opening weekend.
However, Harry Potter is a household name. Warner Brothers could get by without any press screenings, sneak previews, or even advertising and still drive in anyone ages 6-13 within 30 miles of the theater!
Harry Potter could get at least $75 million on opening weekend.

It won't matter in the end, though. Lobbies will be packed, parking lots will be death traps, and the only safe place in the theater will be in the booth!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-22-2001 02:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter will have the biggest opening, but Monsters Inc will play the longest and gross more. At least that's my bet.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-22-2001 07:19 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a tough one. From the trailers, it looks like both of them will do good business. I'm guessing that Monsters will have more "legs," but who knows. Actually, the opposite will probably turn out to be the case, since I'm generally terrible at predicting boxoffice numbers...I am always amazed at lousy films that get great numbers and vice versa, but that seems to be par for the course in this business.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-24-2001 02:43 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monsters Inc. will out-gross Harry by a fair whack, but Harry will win in the opening weekend sweepstakes.

That's me...

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage' - Indiana Jones.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: