Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Non-film uses for scrap film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Non-film uses for scrap film
Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2001 03:38 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that film is the stronger polyester, are there non-film uses for scrap film that we are missing? I've seen 35mm neckties, but I'll bet there are other uses. Strips stapled to the top of a door jam could make a modern "beaded" door, strips imbedded in a glue could be used to repair rusted out autos, a device with a sponge glue applicator could turn a roll of film into a giant roll of scotch tape, a loop of film and some brushes could make a van-de-graff generator, etc. What other uses are possible?

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2001 03:54 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cargo tie down straps!

Custom made straight jackets for Projectionists and Technicans!

Tug of war rope tied to two pick-up trucks with your favorite manager or concession stand "projectionist" in the middle! Also can be used for rude customers and the piece of projection equipment you hate the most!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-18-2001 04:04 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not technically a non-film use, but it could have similar uses outside of a theatre:

I have used old trailers as spacers/levelers to steady or alter the level of 16mm and slide projectors, couches, cabinets, refrigerators, etc.

Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2001 06:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You can tow a car with it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-18-2001 07:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you know we need to make a Quicktime of that. And other uses for polyester film as well!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-18-2001 08:23 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is also good for using it as an emergency belt too keep your pants from falling down.

Gordon Hedges III
Jealous of everyone not me

- posted 08-18-2001 11:28 PM      Profile for Gordon Hedges III   Email Gordon Hedges III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad and Joe, what kind of vehicle would you try to use? Some small economy car or maybe a great big SUV.

Left over film can be used as garlands around the Christmas trees and maybe even some wreaths to hang on the doors.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 08-18-2001 11:44 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erotic Underwear.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-19-2001 12:24 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second "Tow a car". Actually did it just to see if it could be done. It wasn't a Yugo, either! It was a Chevelle!.

Also, if you are trying to repair something and you need a thin washer or spacer you can cut a donut-shaped piece and use that. I actually did that this week.
Do you know those "fiber" (or whatever) washers in the aperture changer motor mechanism of a Simplex PR-1050? I had to replace the motor and when I took the thing apart, they all fell into a million little pieces. I just got out my ExactoŽ knife and cut myself some new ones. They ain't pretty but they'll get the job done until I can order some new ones.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2001 12:28 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The car thing would be cool to see, I mean, the Guiness Records show on TV has shown guys pulling stuff with their packages, if you know what I mean, so a strip of film would be a sight to see.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-19-2001 01:39 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, more of a sight anyway...

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage' - Indiana Jones.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2001 01:41 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hanging managers? (or booth personell who claim they haven't screwed with the equipment when you know damn well they have).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-19-2001 01:59 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rick Long -- Hanging managers? (or booth personell who claim they haven't screwed with the equipment when you know damn well they have).

YESSSS!!!!!

Double up a piece and give it a "snap", the way my Dad used to do when he took off his belt in preparation for out impending punishments when us kids used to get caught misbehaving.

(If you can DO that with something as thin as film.)

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2001 04:16 AM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I give presents, I always make the bow out of film. Gives that novelty of "he works at a theatre" kind of vibe.

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2001 05:06 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mr. Pytlak! What use would you have for scrap film other than recycling?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: