Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Parents: Many are idiots (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Parents: Many are idiots
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-07-2001 09:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we've raked parents over the coals around here a few times, but I had to share this story.

My theatre which was built in 1930, has a balcony. Since before I was in the picture, the balcony has been designated an "adults only" area. The kidless adults really appreciate this, especially at Disney or other family films.

We have two signs, one at the bottom of the stairs and another at the top stating "Balcony reserved for ADULTS ONLY" in fairly large letters.

Not a week goes by that some bonehead doesn't look at the signs and then ask me, "can I take the kids into the balcony?" or "If they're WITH ME, can they go upstairs?" or other nonsense.

Most amazing of all is parents who start to go upstairs, and then THE KIDS read the sign and say "We can't go up there!" I've actually seen parents arguing with their kids, saying "It'll be fine, just follow me, etc. etc. etc." whereupon I step up and say that the balcony is in fact reserved for adults only, meaning if you're a kid, you can't go up there.

What is it with parents anyway? I have no kids, so I can't speak from experience.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-08-2001 12:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think this to be an easy convincing, if for no other reason that "our insurance won't cover anyone under 18 if they fall over the edge."

Joshua Voorhies
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 02:21 AM      Profile for Joshua Voorhies   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Voorhies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parents are idiots?! This is news???
Where do you think stupid people come from? They propagate like any other species.

I really hate stupid parents who try to fight the theatre over their kid's mistakes. For example, when a parent argues about their child getting tossed from a theatre or getting fired from their job. They're teaching their children that they are not responsible for their actions. This will hurt them later in life.
The best parents are the ones that hold their kids responsible for their actions.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 03:45 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really love it when parent come to the theatre to yell at me when their child (my employee) does not get their way, gets in trouble or fired. "My mom/dad is coming down here and they are going to set you straight." "My child is a perfect angel and would never do that."

I swear, the next parent that comes into my theatre and tries to tell me how to do my job and how to hadle my employees, I am going to strangle them in front of their child.

My staff is made up of mainly rich kids that do not have to work. This is almost a weekly thing I deal with.

Michael Hunt
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 01:33 PM      Profile for Michael Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget those Liberal minded parents who should know better...

I've lost count of the times that I've heard 'I know its a 15 certificate film, but is it all right if my 11/12/13 year old comes in to watch it with me...'

Grr!!!

------------------
Uncle to JEDI Hunt,
honest!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-08-2001 02:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad -

That's exactly what I tell them.

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2001 01:49 PM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Hunt -- could you explain further your comment? My understanding of the British film censorship system is that it remains a voluntary system for cinemas, just like in the United States, the main difference being that the BBFC is a government body, while the MPAA is an industry trade group. The following site:
http://www.terramedia.co.uk/Themes/british_film_censorship.htm

states:
Statutory censorship of moving pictures was finally introduced
into the UK by the Video Recordings Act 1984. This Act made the
BBFC—which changed its name to the British Board of Film
Classification—the statutory censorship body for video recordings
intended for viewing in the home. Its role as film censor remained
on a non-statutory basis (emphasis mine).

------------------
Tao Yue
MIT '04: Course VI-2, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Projectionist, MIT Lecture Series Committee

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2001 01:52 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes Parents just need a little friendly guidance.

------------------
--Sean McKinnon
Manager
Loews Cineplex Entertainment
Liberty Tree Mall 20
Danvers, Mass

Phil Connolly
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2001 02:43 PM      Profile for Phil Connolly   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Connolly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tao,

Although the BBFC ratings are voluntary, they are usally enforced by the local council.

In order to run a public cinema in the UK, you need a Cinema License. The terms of this license are set out by the Local council and in most case's the BBFC ratings are enforced as part of the terms of the license. If you let underage people into a movie, you could loose your Licence.

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2001 07:29 AM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Phil.

So different localities would have different laws on this, then?

I know that some places (states, towns, whatever) in the United States make the MPAA ratings statutory, so this is similar to what goes on in the UK.

------------------
Tao Yue
MIT '04: Course VI-2, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Projectionist, MIT Lecture Series Committee

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2001 10:53 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone president who puts forth castration as a punishment for the totally idiotic has got my vote locked up. I know this seems harsh but really, why is intelligence no longer a standard. I mean if you apply Darwin's law of "survival of the fittest" we would be running out of room for graves. Do you want your children, grandchildren, etc. reproducing with these people. Every time they have a child it is like them taking a in the gene pool, and like the saying goes "only stupid people are breeding" which makes it worse.Cut em and lets get it over with.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-14-2001 03:06 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Tao points out, the British system does allow for (or run the risk of, depending on your point of view) different local authorities to allow, ban or vary the age classification on different films.

The BBFC was started precisely because in the early part of the last century, this happened on a large scale and threatened to seriously damage the cinema industry. What would happen is that a film would be banned in one town or country but passed in the neighbouring one, and so anyone wanting to see it would simply get on a bus, meaning that the cinema which was barred from showing it would lose revenue.

The legal basis for this was the 1909 Cinematograph Act, which allowed local councils to introduce the system of licencing as described by Phil. The act was introduced for health and safety reasons - there had been a number of highly publicised, fatal nitrate fires, most of them in converted shops and halls that had hastily been pressed into service as cinemas during the industry's initial boom. So the idea of the act was to enable dangerous venues to be closed down.

But councils soon started imposing licence conditions which had nothing to do with health and safety, which resulted in a court case in 1912. A south London cinema sued their local authority for banning Sunday opening, claiming that the act did not give them the power to do that. However the judge disagreed, and the BBFC was subsequently established as a private company in 1912 (initially bankrolled by the Cinema Exhibitors' Association) with the aim of vetting films on behalf of local authorities.

For more on this see James Robertson, 'The British Board of Film Censors' (London, 1985).

Christopher M. Belch
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2001 11:54 AM      Profile for Christopher M. Belch   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher M. Belch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parents are idiots, and so are msot people in general...I could write to you for hours about how stupid many of our visitors are, but i wont. Here is one of my famvorite examples--we are an imax theater, and before each show, we have an usher announce that once the bottom doors are close, they are emergency exits only, and that people should use the upper staircase and exits for restrooms, ect. Well, almost the second the usher finishes this speech, i almost everytime, there is a family/parent/child (usually its not the kids alone) walking out the bottom doors, or asking ht ehost if they can leave through those doors. Just a quick example of my premis for the job--"people are idiots." Not saying that all people are bad, cuz there are some really great people out there, it jsut seems that a lot of dumb once come through.

Wow, how was that for my first post to this list???

------------------
------------------------
Please excuse the spelling, but i cant spell, i cant type, im too lazy to proofread, and this thing wont let me copy and paste (from something in which i can spellcheck). Thanks, and sorry again!!!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-14-2001 10:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

You probably SHOULD proofread a little, because this IS one of the best spelled forums on the "webb!"

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2001 02:45 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Parents are idiots, and so are msot people in general...I could write to you for hours about how stupid many of our visitors are, but i wont. Here is one of my famvorite examples--we are an imax theater, and before each show, we have an usher announce that once the bottom doors are close, they are emergency exits only, and that people should use the upper staircase and exits for restrooms, ect. Well, almost the second the usher finishes this speech, i almost everytime, there is a family/parent/child (usually its not the kids alone) walking out the bottom doors, or asking ht ehost if they can leave through those doors.

I'm afraid that is actually a case of the architect is an idiot, which is 'way too common also. Studies of exit patterns of people in theaters during fire emergencies, etc. shows that people will almost always try to exit the same way they came in, even if they're sitting under another door with EXIT in big luminous green letters.

If they came in that way, they'll try to go out that way.
People are so disposed to go out via the route that they came in, that some will literally fight in non-emergency situations to go out the way they came in.

And you've probably noticed that most of the folks who use those exits down front in a regular theater after a movie are more often in the "interesting social margins" category.

Either your architect or whoever decides those doors weren't to be used during a show didn't speak to each other, or just didn't know they bidness.

I swear sometimes it seems that everything learned & utilized relating to theater crowd traffic management peaked in & then became totally ignored in the mid-30s.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: