Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Why No Worms or Viruses for the Mac? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why No Worms or Viruses for the Mac?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-23-2001 03:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Mac, and as such, I feel very neglected and left out from the worm and virus scene. I get the e-mail attachments, but when I try to run them nothing happens! I have to corrupt my own files and erase my own hard drive. There was a recent worm called "Code Red" that would infect some Cisco DSL routers, but the worm happened right AFTER I cancelled my DSL! The gods are laughing at me.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-23-2001 03:38 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some viruses for Macs - if you go to
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html

and search under 'Mac', you'll find several of the little darlings. I think the real answer why there aren't very many is that if you're a nasty, spotty virus programmer who wants to ruin as many people's days as possible, then you will hit a lot more people (and thus get a lot more satisfaction) going for PCs than for Macs.

IMHO the PC/Mac analogy I once heard - that if Macs were cars, then they'd do 200 miles per gallon, never need any servicing and never depreciate, but could only be driven on 5% of the world's roads - applies just as much to viruses as to everything else.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-23-2001 03:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Very funny Joe. I just got this friendly little bitch of a virus from my good friend Gary Stanley. You can read about it here

This program will repair your computer if you get to it quick enough.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-23-2001 03:57 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one's even worse (or better, depending on your point of view):
even nastier virus

Distribution is pretty much the same, but this one will erase the boot sector of your system disc, erase the CMOS RAM and flash-wipe your BIOS. I've been emailed with it twice in the last three months - suddenly, spending that £60 on Norton Antivirus seemed very worthwhile...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-23-2001 05:17 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Joe, I guess I could hunt up a copy of Sevendust for you if you really wanted to.

It'll install an extension in your System folder that will REinstall itself if you try to delete it. From there it will progressively scramble your menu bars in several applications until they become completely unusable. After that it'll start messing up files on the hard drive. The only way to get rid of it is to erase and reinstall, from scratch, all the applications on your hard drive because it appends it to the resource fork of each file.

I say there are two reasons why there aren't that many "good" viruses for the Mac. One is, just as you said, there aren't enough machines out there for Macs to be a good target. The other reason is that it's just that much harder to write them for the Mac. Those programmers that are willing to jump through all the hoops necessary to become a good programmer are probably the ones with the moral judgement to know that writing viruses is bad. Even if they don't have higher moral standards, you can look at it from the standpoint of, "I spent all this time and energy to learn the Mac OS so I'm not going to waste my time dicking around writing viruses when I could be making money." (Good Mac programmers can pull down some serious cash! )

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-23-2001 06:01 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe -- just wait until MacOS X gets popular, and I'm sure that you'll see some nasty exploits for it. Since it's based on the BSD kernel, there are some pretty well-known exploits and, as more come out, the typical Mac user will probably not be likely to patch the OS (and how many Mac users read the Bugtraq list, anyway?). What doesn't help things is that OS X apparently ships in an insecure configuration out of the box (supposedly it runs RPC services by default, which is a well-known security issue...yeah, I run NFS, etc. at home on Solaris, but I have installed lots of patches and block that traffic at the router).

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2001 09:29 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe.....
You have just received the Amish virus. Since we have no electricity or computers, you are on the honor system. Please delete all of your files on your hard drive. Then forward this message to everyone in your address book.
Thank Thee

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-01-2001 04:01 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I'd give this topic a bump.

>>BUMP!<<

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 08-01-2001 07:38 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I am glad Randy brought this back up. I didn't get the virus either, but this morning when I got to work my computer had been replaced by a big Nostril.

Do you nose who might be responsible for this?

Achoo!!

Joshua Voorhies
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2001 07:52 PM      Profile for Joshua Voorhies   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Voorhies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe-

You have to be the only Mac user wanting a virus for your mac. If it's any consolation, there was a short lived Mac email virus that just went around.
It was sent as an AppleScript attachment to an email that contained a link to an episode guide for "The Simpsons." When you started the AppleScript, it went through your address book and fired off emails to everyone in it with you as the sender.
With Mac OS X, we should see some nice Unixy viruses soon.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-01-2001 08:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To date there appears to be still no OS2 virus out there thankfully

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-02-2001 03:23 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any viruses for the Palm OS? How about Amiga? Commodore 64? 128? Everyone should have at least one virus on their systems at all times. I'm sure everyone agrees.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2001 08:02 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about a virus for cinema hardware. Have a distributor include a virus in the Dolby Digital soundtrack of a film that up'loads to the SRD processor.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-02-2001 02:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Digital Cinema can get a virus? Bet it can if someone was really crafty.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2001 04:14 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course theres a virus for the Amiga its called the "workbench" oh wait no... im sorry thats the operating system...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: